Anyone know anything about Columbia or NYU?

fbastian

Hey!

Just curious if anyone knows anything about when Columbia or NYU are sending out their acceptances (or rejections).  I've already seen one or two for both on the results tracker, but it seems like they're just for students who already had ties to the school.

I have applied to both (and a couple other NY universities) and have yet to hear anything back from them.

I went through the results for 2012 and 2013 to see if there is a particular date they sent out there results and it looked to be well into march for both years. 

I wouldn't trust all of the early "acceptances" either. A lot of people hearing something via word of mouth because they know somebody with nothing on paper.

I have applied to both (and a couple other NY universities) and have yet to hear anything back from them.

I went through the results for 2012 and 2013 to see if there is a particular date they sent out there results and it looked to be well into march for both years. 

I wouldn't trust all of the early "acceptances" either. A lot of people hearing something via word of mouth because they know somebody with nothing on paper.

Yeah I gotcha!  Seems like you and I are in the same boat (I also applied to Rugers, Stony, and NYU Poly in addition to Columbia and NYU).  Stinks having to play the waiting game with some of these north east schools.  It's getting to be about that time where I need to either heavily look into my plan B or get an acceptance from somewhere haha

Nope, I just noticed that to, I have not received anything in my email from the main campus. 

I have however been in contact to set up an interview with a professor at NYU poly, or I guess now the NYU college of engineering.....

Does anybody know how the merger is going to effect our major? NYU poly is now a proper part of NYU and is acting as their College of Engineering. This now means there are 2 computer science departments. From what I have read online the Courant institute (Math/CS college) will now be working with the CSE department at the poly campus. 

I applied to both, if I get into one does that mean I get into both?

Nope, I just noticed that to, I have not received anything in my email from the main campus. 

I have however been in contact to set up an interview with a professor at NYU poly, or I guess now the NYU college of engineering.....

Does anybody know how the merger is going to effect our major? NYU poly is now a proper part of NYU and is acting as their College of Engineering. This now means there are 2 computer science departments. From what I have read online the Courant institute (Math/CS college) will now be working with the CSE department at the poly campus. 

I applied to both, if I get into one does that mean I get into both?

I actually looked into this earlier this year when I was looking into applying to the schools.  From what I can tell, they are completely seperate acceptances still!  Did you happen to hear from Columbia yet?  They seem pretty late this year!

When I visited another school, I met students that heard from Columbia that said there was a visit weekend, or something of the sorts, in early March. Anyone have any more information on this? I haven't seen much in the results to vouch for this.

Also, in regards to NYU and NYU Poly. I believe those two programs are separate at this time, and I don't think gaining admission to NYU Poly places you into the NYU program. 

Ahh that kinda blows... Let's hope that's not the case! That was my top choice.

Although something werid happened with my app... when I log into my application terminal, it's switched my previous class section from being "recommended" to "required".  I had not filled this out previously so I'm not really sure what to do now.  Does anyone think that this could be because I'm being considered for the masters instead?  I looked into it, and it's apperently a required section for the masters.

When I visited another school, I met students that heard from Columbia that said there was a visit weekend, or something of the sorts, in early March. Anyone have any more information on this? I haven't seen much in the results to vouch for this.

Also, in regards to NYU and NYU Poly. I believe those two programs are separate at this time, and I don't think gaining admission to NYU Poly places you into the NYU program. 

Ya I had 2 interviews with professors from Poly and that is pretty much what they told me about the situation. 

Still haven't heard anything from NYU and Columbia. I find it weird that NYU would send out all of their rejections before the acceptances. 

I guess columbia is just taking their time. I would be surprised if their visit day has already passed with no one really posing on the results page. 

Ahh that kinda blows... Let's hope that's not the case! That was my top choice.

Although something werid happened with my app... when I log into my application terminal, it's switched my previous class section from being "recommended" to "required".  I had not filled this out previously so I'm not really sure what to do now.  Does anyone think that this could be because I'm being considered for the masters instead?  I looked into it, and it's apperently a required section for the masters.

Happened to me as well when I checked today. They may just be updating their application system, or you might be right. Hopefully they let us know soon. Good luck to all of you!

Happened to me as well when I checked today. They may just be updating their application system, or you might be right. Hopefully they let us know soon. Good luck to all of you!

Thanks and you too! I've emailed their admissions office to ask if it's a problem, a change in consideration, etc. and to see if we have to respond to it in some way.  I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Anyone hear anything/see any other werid movement on their Columbia dashboards?  I still haven't gotten anything back about the change on mine stated before, but they're also probably super swamped/annoying with people like me emailing haha

So I now have a "Concentration Track Interests" section on my application page that wasn't there previously. 

The options it lists are all for the MS degree. So the earlier theory about being considered for MS instead of PhD may in fact be correct.

Anyone else have this change?

Same here, 'Concentration Track Interests' section and incomplete 'Previous Classes' section showed up. Probably they classified us under the MS category internally?

Yep! Same thing happened to my app.  I guess we'll find out soon then?  Kind of a shame because Columbia was my top choice... it still has the professor I really want to work with and we've already talked about working together, but I don't know if I want to spend that kind of money for the masters, even if you can do a thesis track.

The theories have been confirmed guys. I was denied from PhD but am being considered for MS. 

We regret to inform you that you have not been accepted to Columbia University's Ph.D. program in Computer Science.  Each year we receive many more qualified applicants to our program than we are able to accept, and hence we are faced with the difficult task of denying admission to many excellent candidates.

However, your application is now being considered for the M.S. program in Computer Science. The M.S. Admissions Committee will begin reviewing your application shortly and will contact you directly if additional information is needed. Meanwhile, please refer to http://www.cs.columbia.edu/education/admissions#msadmissions for more information on the M.S. program.

Well looking at the results board I seem to be one of the only people to not get a rejection letter from Columbia this week. That's a good thing I guess, let the unbearable wait for a decision continue!!!!!