Fall 2015 Applicants

thanks. I'll need it. I just finished writing half a scholarship application for Leeds. They want me to tell them why I deserve the scholarship. I'm not even sure I deserve it more than anyone else, actually. but I can't tell them that. I mean... gah. it's difficult. I'm focusing more instead on why my study is important. but of course everyone will think their studies are important!

^That exactly.

"Sell yourself well, at any cost."

Well that solves the problem :P A friend of mine told me in as many words, 'Please for heaven's sake don't write about how you find it difficult to justify why a school should fund you in your SOP, yeah?'

thanks. I'll need it. I just finished writing half a scholarship application for Leeds. They want me to tell them why I deserve the scholarship. I'm not even sure I deserve it more than anyone else, actually. but I can't tell them that. I mean... gah. it's difficult. I'm focusing more instead on why my study is important. but of course everyone will think their studies are important!

Yeah, I definitely think applications are the place to lose your humility and sell the heck out of your research,  and it's okay to say yours is important and deserves to be funded because it totally does! Good luck! :D

did anyone applying just get a very cryptic email from Notre Dame?? my name wasn't even filled in:

Dear ,

Thank you for your application to the Ph.D. Program in English at Notre Dame. As we continue building a world-class department, we are eager to recruit the very finest students to our graduate program, and we were delighted to see your interest. 

Our deliberation process involves the entire department, and members of our faculty from your area are reading your work with great excitement and delivering their assessments to our Graduate Studies Committee. I will be able to contact you soon about the next stage of the process. 

Our Ph.D. program provides our students with favorable funding packages and access to the University's outstanding oversees facilities in London, Dublin and Rome. English students have competed successfully for Notre Dame's most prestigious fellowships for graduate study. And our faculty is committed to providing a collegial and fully inclusive environment for our graduate students. 

I encourage you to explore our departmental webpages to discover much more information regarding our department. 

I look forward to communicating with you soon. 

did anyone applying just get a very cryptic email from Notre Dame?? my name wasn't even filled in:

Dear ,

Thank you for your application to the Ph.D. Program in English at Notre Dame. As we continue building a world-class department, we are eager to recruit the very finest students to our graduate program, and we were delighted to see your interest. 

Our deliberation process involves the entire department, and members of our faculty from your area are reading your work with great excitement and delivering their assessments to our Graduate Studies Committee. I will be able to contact you soon about the next stage of the process. 

Our Ph.D. program provides our students with favorable funding packages and access to the University's outstanding oversees facilities in London, Dublin and Rome. English students have competed successfully for Notre Dame's most prestigious fellowships for graduate study. And our faculty is committed to providing a collegial and fully inclusive environment for our graduate students. 

I encourage you to explore our departmental webpages to discover much more information regarding our department. 

I look forward to communicating with you soon. 

Yes, I got the same thing. I interpreted this as the basic "your app has been forwarded to us" email, but it is definitely unusual that they'd talk about being excited and interested in our work, and mention contacting us soon. I think they're just trying to psyche us out. 

Yes, I got the same thing. I interpreted this as the basic "your app has been forwarded to us" email, but it is definitely unusual that they'd talk about being excited and interested in our work, and mention contacting us soon. I think they're just trying to psyche us out. 

I thought it was a "your app has been received" email, but it seems so late for that?? Part of me hopes it's a pre-Finalist email, but the fact they didn't fill in my name makes me think they sent this to everyone who applied....

To be honest, it seems a little late in the game to receive an email like this, even though ND's deadline was 1/2. Two years ago they sent out interview notices on 2/4, so getting this email now suggests that they're a bit behind this cycle.

But I might be reading too much into it; I'm not sure. 

I thought it was a "your app has been received" email, but it seems so late for that?? Part of me hopes it's a pre-Finalist email, but the fact they didn't fill in my name makes me think they sent this to everyone who applied....

Yeah, I think it's just a form email. Notifications of finalist status/invitations to interviews will come in the form of a personalized email.

Yeah, I definitely think applications are the place to lose your humility and sell the heck out of your research,  and it's okay to say yours is important and deserves to be funded because it totally does! Good luck! :D

actually I'm studying the selling of research and how it affects aesthetics, so I HAVE to deal with the selling aspect! O well :ph34r: :ph34r:

For a minute I thought one of the Berkeley admits scored a 99 in verbal. And I thought, dear god, there really IS hope for all of us. And then I realized that that surely was 99th percentile. And now I just sort of feel like an idiot for letting my hopes soar quite that high.

Congrats to the Berkeley admits!

Edited by mmmscience

Unless you get an official rejection, I'd say there's still cause to hold out hope. I know it probably takes a while for our DGS to get in touch with everyone (he's a busy dude haha), and as allplaideverything said, he likely is contacting the fellowship folks first. I think I mentioned on one of the threads that I feel like rejections went out within a couple weeks of acceptances last year, so I feel like everybody should have some idea of where they stand with OSU relatively soon. As opposed to some other schools where it gets dragged out forever (I even had one school that never notified me of anything last year lol. Good times).

I was also wondering about this. Well, no reason to give up hope until you get the official NOPE email.

A friend of mine who's applying to Vanderbilt came to me yesterday very upset that he was apparently missing a LOR. I didn't think much of it, since I had confirmed with all of my professors weeks ago that they had submitted letters to all 5 of my schools.

Today as I waited anxiously to see if Vanderbilt will notify I decided to check my application status page. I should have done it sooner. I was horrified to see that I'm missing a letter too, and from a professor that I trusted implicitly to have her ducks in a row. I called Vanderbilt, they checked my application for me, and confirmed that I was missing the letter - it wasn't a mistake. She also told me it was too late to change it, my application would be considered based on what was there.

For you guys (I'm certainly not getting in), I asked when she thought decisions might go out. She just said she didn't know. 

Vanderbilt was always a reach for me, but I'm still gutted. 

Edit:

Thought I'd add, both of our missing recommenders got their letters in everywhere else.  

Edited by Hannalore

Gah! Sorry, Hannalore. That's really unfortunate. :(

I actually wound up using a whopping FIVE LORs for Vanderbilt. Normally three is more than sufficient, and many places urge against having any more than that...but Vanderbilt seems to value additional information more highly than some other places, so I pulled out all the stops. Having said that, I really don't think it's going to mean much in the long run -- either you fit with what they're looking for, or you don't. Vanderbilt is particularly selective at the best of times (honestly, they might have the lowest acceptance percentage of all English Ph.D. programs), so getting picked is a wing-and-a-prayer proposition anyhow.

I know that doesn't make you feel any better, but you have my sympathies at least.

This is a bit random, but has anybody noticed that the majority of people who are accepted to Ph.D. programs post minimal information (GREs sometimes, comments rarely - and then somewhat vague, like "Second choice. Excited!") while people who have been rejected tend to offer a list of achievements (GREs + "Three pubs, 2 first author, three years research experience. Their loss.")?

I have two thoughts on this. First, I totally understand. When you're admitted, the pressure is off - you're free! Woo! Your entry in the database is a celebration, and really you'll never need those stats again, so who cares? And when you're rejected, you feel defensive - you worked hard for this! You're awesome! This is so arbitrary. Those responses are totally natural and totally human.

BUT. It would be so useful for me, and other prospective grad students, to know the specific qualifications of successful applicants. So this is really a very heartfelt request: when you get in (and I have so much faith!!) PLEASE include your stats. Pleasepleaseplease. And if you've got research experience, an MA, publications, etc, it would be awesome to know that too!! We all want to be successful applicants, after all - sharing your particular qualifications would be, in my opinion, very generous.

Just a thought as I wait impatiently for Jan. 31st!

I haven't shared my stats since, honestly, I'm intimidated. I don't want to be some hustling rube, you know? I've gotten accepted into one program, but some part of me still thinks I'll be rejected everywhere else. So many people on this forum are applying to top ten only schools.

Anyway, for my SIU Carbondale acceptance here are the stats:

GRE: 170 qualitative, 145 quantitative, 4.5 analytic

GPA: 3.9 (English MA), 3.95 (M.Ed), and 3.65 (BA)

over 6 conferences ranging from graduate to internationally recognized

1 pending book chapter publication

Several years teaching experience (high school and college)

I also fancy myself quite the writer.

For you guys (I'm certainly not getting in), I asked when she thought decisions might go out. She just said she didn't know. 

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. From what I understand, letters don't really matter very much (unless perhaps the professor has ties to the school?) because every school assumes that the letters are glaring recommendations. Don't give up yet.

Re: Ohio State...

As another OSU-limboer, I'm expecting to hear next week (personally, I'm thinking a waitlist would be a best case scenariot). Last cycle they sent first-round acceptances around the same time they did this year. If that trend continues, then the rest of the decisions would come out the first week of February.

Ugh, I'm really sorry about that Hannalore, but as snyegurachka said, don't lose hope! Sending positive vibes!

I've gotten accepted into one program, but some part of me still thinks I'll be rejected everywhere else. So many people on this forum are applying to top ten only schools.

Ugh, I can so relate to that. Part of me still thinks the acceptance might have been a fluke. I'm trying to tell myself that at the end of the day, one (funded) acceptance is really all you need.

Looks like an acceptance is up for Vanderbilt, though has already been declined...

Not sure if they send their acceptance emails out in bulk or not. If so, then it looks like another miss for me. :unsure:

1) have you logged in yet? Mine is still listed as "submitted" but I assume that's where the decision WOULD be?

2) is your SOP not visible?? I know I submitted mine but it's not showing up anymore.