Fall 2015 Applicants

Question: some of these posts indicate that some of y'all know when one or two people have been accepted before anything is posted on this forum. How does one acquire such information?

Do you mean before it's posted in something like the Acceptance Thread? Not sure if I'm doing you a disservice by introducing you to the neurosis-inducing tool known as the results board: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

Did you get the sense that all potential candidates were being interviewed?  Or just some?

To be honest, it wasn't entirely clear. Something was said along the lines of "this is a newer thing we're doing at Columbia, talking to candidates before we go to the final review stage." Whether that means all the candidates or a portion of the candidates, I have no idea. 

Also, congrats to the NYU acceptance up on the results board! I'm guessing it's a poster here, because (and this reveals, sadly, how much time I spend on the results board) I know I've seen those GPA/GRE stats before!

The NYU acceptance was me! Thank you!  :D Don't think I've posted my stats before, but you were right anyway.

I'm at the recruitment weekend for Emory comp lit, so this news was totally overwhelming to receive right now, but in the best possible way. I keep checking my phone to make sure the number is still there in my recent calls because I am in such shock.

The NYU acceptance was me! Thank you!  :D Don't think I've posted my stats before, but you were right anyway.

Congrats!

Btw, I know we had a bunch of Northwestern applicants, but did anyone else apply to Northeastern? Their admitted students weekend is at the end of this month, so I was hoping that meant they would be notifying rather early. 

I'm at the recruitment weekend for Emory comp lit, so this news was totally overwhelming to receive right now, but in the best possible way. I keep checking my phone to make sure the number is still there in my recent calls because I am in such shock.

Congrats Scribnera!!

It's officially eight weeks since I applied to UMD and OSU. I'm on the edge of my seat for some news... What do you think? Will it be today?

UMD notified someone on GC a few weeks ago, but I think that was a special fellowship case (if I remember correctly). They typically notify mid-Feb. OSU did their first round of acceptances a couple of weeks ago. Based on the intel from a GC acceptee, it doesn't seem like they'll be sending out more notifications until fellowship decisions are made February 16. My guess is anything that comes before that will be a rejection (but that could just be applicant paranoia).

The one or two acceptances posted from Georgia and Georgia State are making me feel ill. If those are "No"s for me then I have been rejected at 4 out of 5 schools and things are looking very bleak indeed.

That GSU acceptance really through me off! But it was only one, so I'm thinking it might be one of those special case scenarios with "regular" acceptances to follow later in the month. That's mostly just conjecture on my part, though.

Also, I took my eight-hour comprehensive exam today. The one thing keeping me going was the hope that when I got out I'd maybe have some piece of news. No such luck. Now, next week not only will I be waiting for PhD notifications (I'm going to be shocked if I don't hear from at least 1/3 of the places I applied), but I'll also be waiting to hear whether or not I passed comps and can graduate this May! Joy...

Do you mean before it's posted in something like the Acceptance Thread? Not sure if I'm doing you a disservice by introducing you to the neurosis-inducing tool known as the results board: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

Fascinating. My SO tells me that following this stuff is only going to make me more anxious. I'm not sure if it will or not but cannot look away. 

Congrats!

Btw, I know we had a bunch of Northwestern applicants, but did anyone else apply to Northeastern? Their admitted students weekend is at the end of this month, so I was hoping that meant they would be notifying rather early. 

I applied to Northeastern, and I too thought they would notify earlier. I mean, even if they notified over the weekend, they'd still be leaving only 3 weeks until their visit weekend. Not a ton of time for people, considering how busy this time of year is

I applied to Northeastern, and I too thought they would notify earlier. I mean, even if they notified over the weekend, they'd still be leaving only 3 weeks until their visit weekend. Not a ton of time for people, considering how busy this time of year is

I just double-checked their email, and it said they will be reviewing applications until the middle of this month. That seems like its cutting it close for people who have families and full-time jobs and whatnot. Anyway, we should be hearing from them soon hopefully!

Confession: Because Pittsburgh has typically notified on the first Friday in February, I've convinced myself that they did, in fact, notify on the 6th but asked people not to post it on gradcafe so they DGS wouldn't have to deal with "where is my decision information" emails. 

I've truly lost it. 

Confession: Because Pittsburgh has typically notified on the first Friday in February, I've convinced myself that they did, in fact, notify on the 6th but asked people not to post it on gradcafe so they DGS wouldn't have to deal with "where is my decision information" emails.

I've truly lost it.

You are not alone. I'm frantically checking OSU's website at least five times per day. The "pending" status is driving me nuts. Although, it does provide a sliver of hope that I could be waitlisted. In all likelihood, probably not, but I haven't completely lost it and neither have you! Fear not; we shall prevail.

I just had a call from an "unknown" number which turned out to be my doctor, but man did that give me a nice shot of adrenaline and nerves!

Man, I get this shot adrenaline at least twice a week when a telemarketer or credit card person calls from a random number

I just had a call from an "unknown" number which turned out to be my doctor, but man did that give me a nice shot of adrenaline and nerves! 

Gah! Sorry to hear this!

For what it's worth, a similar thing happened to me last night. I got a call from a Washington number...and even though I didn't apply to anywhere in Washington state, in the five or so seconds between the phone ringing and me answering, I had already convinced myself that one of my POIs must be from Washington state, and he/she was just calling me from a personal cell phone.

That wasn't the case. Sigh.

Okay, so I just saw that someone posted on the results board about University of Nebraska-Lincoln sending out the scariest anti-climactic email (that I've) ever (received). I'm so confused about what this means:

Your departmental graduate application status in the Department of English has been updated.

A final decision has been made and forwarded to Graduate Studies. You should receive a follow-up message from the department or Graduate Studies soon.

Is this good? Is this bad? Is this normal? I assume it's bad because it's so form-like. Mostly I'm confused about why this was sent out when there is no decision posted through their application system. The system they use, GAMES, just says this too " Review complete, decision forwarded to Graduate Studies." Thanks, I guess?

Also, I was so confused when I first got the e-mail that I thought it was my rejection from OSU finally, so I went and checked their website instead and saw my application was still "pending" and whoa was I stunned by that  :P

Edited to say: I wrote this too soon, just received the official rejection. I'm still mildly amused that I checked the OSU site for that rejection first though... I don't know what that says about my mental state right now haha

Edited by doc1

Hello, all.

Congrats to those who have had good news thus far!

I'm an occasional poster but have not spent much time on here as I could have. Came to the board today to see how everyone else was faring so far. I've applied to 9 schools and heard nothing back yet, either way. I grow more impatient by the day. I cannot tell you how comforting it is to see that I am not alone. Anyone got any tips for waiting this season out? How are you doing it? 

Hello, all.

Congrats to those who have had good news thus far!

I'm an occasional poster but have not spent much time on here as I could have. Came to the board today to see how everyone else was faring so far. I've applied to 9 schools and heard nothing back yet, either way. I grow more impatient by the day. I cannot tell you how comforting it is to see that I am not alone. Anyone got any tips for waiting this season out? How are you doing it? 

Hello! I'm distracting myself in a number of ways. I'm mostly focusing on my school work by making sure I'm either really on top of or ahead in my readings and by volunteering for presentation dates in my classes that fall during this waiting period. I've also scheduled some decompression time in to each weekend by having a designated "Girls Night" with my best friend every Sunday. I've also found "color therapy" (a fancy shmancy term for coloring in coloring books) to be particularly helpful in keeping my hands occupied with something other than refreshing my email. And there's also beer. Lots of beer. I've only heard back from one school, so I've been trying to do anything other than just checking my email. I've been pretty good about only checking it ~4 times a day. 

ETA: I get my comps questions in 11 days, so I expect to do the majority of my research while waiting to hear back. That should be fun.

Edited by jhefflol

I've truly lost it. 

You are not alone. I'm frantically checking OSU's website at least five times per day. The "pending" status is driving me nuts. Although, it does provide a sliver of hope that I could be waitlisted. In all likelihood, probably not, but I haven't completely lost it and neither have you! Fear not; we shall prevail.

Okay, so I just saw that someone posted on the results board about University of Nebraska-Lincoln sending out the scariest anti-climactic email (that I've) ever (received). I'm so confused about what this means:

Your departmental graduate application status in the Department of English has been updated.

A final decision has been made and forwarded to Graduate Studies. You should receive a follow-up message from the department or Graduate Studies soon.

Is this good? Is this bad? Is this normal? I assume it's bad because it's so form-like. Mostly I'm confused about why this was sent out when there is no decision posted through their application system. The system they use, GAMES, just says this too " Review complete, decision forwarded to Graduate Studies." Thanks, I guess?

Also, I was so confused when I first got the e-mail that I thought it was my rejection from OSU finally, so I went and checked their website instead and saw my application was still "pending" and whoa was I stunned by that  :P

Edited to say: I wrote this too soon, just received the official rejection. I'm still mildly amused that I checked the OSU site for that rejection first though... I don't know what that says about my mental state right now haha

These made me feel so much better about my own mental state! Hey, at least I'm not alone. ;-) Also, I have officially convinced myself that it is a good thing not to hear from OSU before Feb. 16. I will stand by this until I hear otherwise so as to retain the thread of sanity I have remaining.

Hello! I'm distracting myself in a number of ways. I'm mostly focusing on my school work by making sure I'm either really on top of or ahead in my readings and by volunteering for presentation dates in my classes that fall during this waiting period. I've also scheduled some decompression time in to each weekend by having a designated "Girls Night" with my best friend every Sunday. I've also found "color therapy" (a fancy shmancy term for coloring in coloring books) to be particularly helpful in keeping my hands occupied with something other than refreshing my email. And there's also beer. Lots of beer. I've only heard back from one school, so I've been trying to do anything other than just checking my email. I've been pretty good about only checking it ~4 times a day. 

ETA: I get my comps questions in 11 days, so I expect to do the majority of my research while waiting to hear back. That should be fun.

The ONLY news I got today is that I passed my comps exam! Good news, to be sure, but worrying about that was what was keeping my mind off of PhD app results. So, back to distracting myself with schoolwork and lesson planning I suppose...

The ONLY news I got today is that I passed my comps exam! Good news, to be sure, but worrying about that was what was keeping my mind off of PhD app results. So, back to distracting myself with schoolwork and lesson planning I suppose...

Congrats! That's wonderful news!

Yay! That's definitely good news!