Fall 2015 Applicants

I'm glad to hear that everything is going relatively well! One of my favorite things about having a to do list (even though they seem to be more overwhelming than helpful) is the feeling I get when I can cross an item off the list!

Ah! It's so true! At the beginning of the semester, I actually make a master syllabus -- I take all of my syllabi and create a spreadsheet full of assignment dates and due dates for everything. I print it out and cross stuff off as the semester rolls along. I find it really helpful for organization...and also for my peace of mind, simply from the ability to cross things off. (There's a "Fort - da!" quality to this, I know). This time I actually created a separate index card for all the stuff I need to do in the next couple of weeks. There are ten items on it...but I was able to cross off four, which is very gratifying.

This might go some way toward explaining why I submitted all of my applications so early.

Not an applicant, but since we're talking to-do lists, I want to share my biggest accomplishment this semester: I completed all of my coursework two weeks early! This was hugely important for me because my due date is December 15, only three days after the last class of the semester. I now only have one week left of teaching (I have a sub scheduled for the last week) and grading-- both of which I can delegate to someone else if the baby comes early. I am just so relieved that I won't have to take out Incompletes and try to finish up coursework after the baby arrives. 

It's been quite the doozy, wrapping up a semester while nine months pregnant, all while teaching an extra section so that I don't have to teach next semester. I did it, waddling and achy, but I did it! 

I, for one, am trapped in that terrible cycle of 1. uploading a draft to the application 2. finding a typo 3. reopening the Word document 4. saving a .PDF 5. uploading this newer draft 6. finding a typo. It is the rudest to-do list.

I, for one, am trapped in that terrible cycle of 1. uploading a draft to the application 2. finding a typo 3. reopening the Word document 4. saving a .PDF 5. uploading this newer draft 6. finding a typo. It is the rudest to-do list.

If it's any consolation, that happened to me several times. Not so much with typos, but just things I had a last-minute desire to reword, or decided to punctuate differently. On one of them, I think I did it four times.

I'm doing well-ish! My plan was to submit all my apps over the weekend in a mad bacchanal of mouse clicks and bourbon, but that didn't happen. I did submit my first two applications, though, and will pull the trigger on another four this week! The last four, all due in the new year, will have to wait until when classes are done (and when I have more money for app fees--id est with which to fund the "Prospective Students" weekends they'll throw for those who actually get in) mid December.

I'm dying, of course, will all the end of semester work and paper writing I have to do. But, people asked for good news: I got accepted to a real, live, grown-up, national manuscript studies conference! Woot!

So this is my first post, and I think it came so late due to fear and nerves of this whole process.

But..my first batch of applications is in! One deep breathe in and out....then more fear lol.

Good luck to you all! B) 

I'm doing well-ish! My plan was to submit all my apps over the weekend in a mad bacchanal of mouse clicks and bourbon, but that didn't happen. I did submit my first two applications, though, and will pull the trigger on another four this week! The last four, all due in the new year, will have to wait until when classes are done (and when I have more money for app fees--id est with which to fund the "Prospective Students" weekends they'll throw for those who actually get in) mid December.

I'm dying, of course, will all the end of semester work and paper writing I have to do. But, people asked for good news: I got accepted to a real, live, grown-up, national manuscript studies conference! Woot!

I tried to upvote this, but apparently one upvote is all I get before I meet my quota...

waka2.gif

BUT CONGRATS! That is amazing news!!!!!!!!!!! 

Is that what the app fees are for?  Not for lining the pockets of superfluous "student life" departments?  Huh...

Also, congrats!  Give those timid paleographers a good show.

I have little good news except that my classy-ass SO's parents got us some tickets for the Chicago Lyric Opera and if we can scrape together some gas money, my broke ass is finna mingle with some gold coast socialites and rock out to some Puccini... watch out! 

Haven't submitted anything yet (still nitpicking and re-re-re-rewriting my SOPs) but my first four apps are going out this week and next. 

I must admit: I'm a little excited that Northwestern's Ph.D. application window is now closed. Even though there's little chance that the application committee will even glance at the apps before the new year, it's still a great feeling that my application is now ready for judgment...

I must admit: I'm a little excited that Northwestern's Ph.D. application window is now closed. Even though there's little chance that the application committee will even glance at the apps before the new year, it's still a great feeling that my application is now ready for judgment...

Yep! There's a specific kind of satisfaction in seeing that "Under Review" status as well.

That moment when you realize that you actually aren't a good fit with a university after you've already FedEx'd your transcript for $30 there. Good-bye, Penn State.

Story of my life. But it can't hurt to follow through on the application. You could realize that you're a better fit than you had thought.

That moment when you realize that you actually aren't a good fit with a university after you've already FedEx'd your transcript for $30 there. Good-bye, Penn State.

Same. I cut UC San Diego (perhaps before they could cut me?) at the 11th hour when I realized that it was yet another $110 to throw my hat in the ring and I just didn't feel too strongly about my fit in the department. Already had my transcripts and GRE scores sent. Sigh.

Edited by 1Q84

1. Still working on the writing sample. Trying not to get distracted by the classes I have to teach, or the finals I'm supposed to be giving in two weeks. 

2. One of my recommenders, a professor whom I loved dearly in law school and had been very supportive of this and other endeavors, dropped the ball at the last minute. It's not his fault---he said he had a family emergency pop up and that he was feeling overwhelmed, but---you get the gist. Since I am overseas, I heard this news at around 1:30AM last night. 

Luckily, I have found a replacement recommender and still have 11 days before the deadlines. However, now there is this whole line of work I need to do in bringing alternate recommender up to speed, etc. which is taking time out of my writing sample...yeah. Not a happy camper here. 

Same. I cut UC San Diego (perhaps before they could cut me?) at the 11th hour when I realized that it was yet another $110 to throw my hat in the ring and I just didn't feel too strongly about my fit in the department. Already had my transcripts and GRE scores sent. Sigh.

Yup -- SUNY Buffalo got my GRE ($27), but I didn't wind up applying there. Good program, but just not for me.

I'm a little nervous about two separate recommender issues. One of my letter-writers uploaded all of his letters a few weeks ago, but had issues with one of the upload sites, and it didn't go through. He's an old emeritus and doesn't get online very often. He acknowledged that he would come back to the campus to do it...but after a couple of emails to him, it just hasn't happened. And the deadline is in four days. :wacko:

Another of my recommenders has just four letters to upload (in some cases I used different recommenders for different programs for various reasons). I've had a few emails with him, and he assures me he'll do it...but again, it's mere days before the deadline. I'm trying to be patient, and don't want to annoy someone into not doing it, but yeah. Frustrating.

Yup -- SUNY Buffalo got my GRE ($27), but I didn't wind up applying there. Good program, but just not for me.

I'm a little nervous about two separate recommender issues. One of my letter-writers uploaded all of his letters a few weeks ago, but had issues with one of the upload sites, and it didn't go through. He's an old emeritus and doesn't get online very often. He acknowledged that he would come back to the campus to do it...but after a couple of emails to him, it just hasn't happened. And the deadline is in four days. :wacko:

Another of my recommenders has just four letters to upload (in some cases I used different recommenders for different programs for various reasons). I've had a few emails with him, and he assures me he'll do it...but again, it's mere days before the deadline. I'm trying to be patient, and don't want to annoy someone into not doing it, but yeah. Frustrating.

I so know the feeling, Wyatt's Touch! I found out about my family-emergency recommender only when I reached out to him last night. Sea of conflicting emotions but I am just so thankful that he was honest and forthright in telling me he couldn't do it, and that I was able to find a replacement. 

All of this to say, I would gently check in with the recommenders. Do they have secretaries---especially the professor emeritus? If so, then it may be best to contact the secretaries and enlist them for help with reminders, if you haven't already. I've also had one recommender tell me up front that professors are usually last minute about this too, but that they will get it done. Also, it may be helpful if you try to remind them indirectly---perhaps by mentioning that you've finished uploading all your stuff for the deadlines upcoming in 4 days, rather than asking them directly to upload their letters, which seem to them to be a bit excessive/confrontational. 

Sending good thoughts your way!

Thanks, fancypants! The first one (the emeritus) doesn't have a secretary per se, but I've gone ahead and emailed the secretary at the college to see if she can check in with him regardless. As for the other one, since the application deadline is in four days, I sent him another email. I was very polite, of course... The worst thing possible would be for me to annoy him to the point that he simply doesn't do it. Fortunately, most of my bases are covered by my primary letter-writers, but there's at least one institution that is contingent upon a not-yet-uploaded letter... Grr.

All of these professors have had four months of lead time, by the way. They're wonderful people, but I see that, just like most students, some like to leave things to the last minute as well! (I've made a personal vow with myself to never do that!)

Thanks, fancypants! The first one (the emeritus) doesn't have a secretary per se, but I've gone ahead and emailed the secretary at the college to see if she can check in with him regardless. As for the other one, since the application deadline is in four days, I sent him another email. I was very polite, of course... The worst thing possible would be for me to annoy him to the point that he simply doesn't do it. Fortunately, most of my bases are covered by my primary letter-writers, but there's at least one institution that is contingent upon a not-yet-uploaded letter... Grr.

All of these professors have had four months of lead time, by the way. They're wonderful people, but I see that, just like most students, some like to leave things to the last minute as well! (I've made a personal vow with myself to never do that!)

My pleasure :) And I'm sure the other recommender will come around too. I don't know him but to those of us who are hanging on to the last moment---sometimes it's that mentality of "but I know I can do something better" rather than just putting things off. But I also understand your vow not to repeat the same mistakes as your recommenders---made the same vow myself in the last 24 hours! 

That moment when you get an email and just see "IMPORTANT ... USC..." and nearly choke. That additional moment when you remember you submitted your app 4 days ago and it's just the initial "here's your ID" email :(

200.gif

It's going to be a long couple of months.

Edited by 1Q84

Is anyone else having problems with the UCI app? I've been trying to complete my application for weeks, but when I log in with my existing username and password that I created months ago, I get a long error message. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a divine intervention?

Is anyone else having problems with the UCI app? I've been trying to complete my application for weeks, but when I log in with my existing username and password that I created months ago, I get a long error message. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a divine intervention?

Hmm. Seems to work for me -- both the application portion and the "check your application" portion.