Fall 2015 Applicants

That moment when you get an email and just see "IMPORTANT ... USC..." and nearly choke. That additional moment when you remember you submitted your app 4 days ago and it's just the initial "here's your ID" email :(

200.gif

It's going to be a long couple of months.

By January, I had the cleanest inbox ever. I unsubscribed from all the things (good bye MoveOn, Planned Parenthood, and Groupon) because every time I saw I had an email, my heart jumped! 

This is my generic rant post about schools that require teaching statements/diversity statements/adversity statements/intellectual statements. Just take my SOP, please. I worked very hard on it, I promise.

Yes! I mean -- really, Michigan? You want me to separate my SOP into a "personal essay" and an "academic" SOP? Maybe you'd like to hear about my first kiss, too? How about the time I overcame the adversity of writing a dozen mini-essays in slightly different formats? /rant

Thanks, fancypants! The first one (the emeritus) doesn't have a secretary per se, but I've gone ahead and emailed the secretary at the college to see if she can check in with him regardless. As for the other one, since the application deadline is in four days, I sent him another email. I was very polite, of course... The worst thing possible would be for me to annoy him to the point that he simply doesn't do it. Fortunately, most of my bases are covered by my primary letter-writers, but there's at least one institution that is contingent upon a not-yet-uploaded letter... Grr.

All of these professors have had four months of lead time, by the way. They're wonderful people, but I see that, just like most students, some like to leave things to the last minute as well! (I've made a personal vow with myself to never do that!)

Two of my apps are due by early next week and my last professor still hasn't replied back to my nagging email about providing a reference. Strangely enough he's provided a reference for one of my other schools already, but is just slow at uploading it to the rest of them. Or, alternately, has taken a flight to Jamaica because he's just done with academia and can't be bothered with me anymore.

Also am too terrified to do another read of my SOP for fear of typos in the versions for the apps I've already submitted.

this-is-fine-meme.jpg

Two of my apps are due by early next week and my last professor still hasn't replied back to my nagging email about providing a reference. Strangely enough he's provided a reference for one of my other schools already, but is just slow at uploading it to the rest of them. Or, alternately, has taken a flight to Jamaica because he's just done with academia and can't be bothered with me anymore.

Also am too terrified to do another read of my SOP for fear of typos in the versions for the apps I've already submitted.

this-is-fine-meme.jpg

If the professor has already agreed to write your letters and has uploaded for some of the schools, I'm sure that he'll pull through. :) 

These have been some trying times, friends. I had a breakdown last night wondering whether I could actually get into a school, period. Worst time to have self doubts...

Let's get through this and enjoy our winter breaks! 

These have been some trying times, friends. I had a breakdown last night wondering whether I could actually get into a school, period. Worst time to have self doubts...

It happens to all of us! Honestly, I have moments of abject despair at the prospect of not getting in somewhere. Usually I'm happy, confident, and optimistic, but boy are there bleak moments...

By the way, the professor I mentioned yesterday (not the emeritus) did indeed upload his letters, finally. I had emailed, and I fear he might be a bit annoyed at that, but the letters are in, so...yay!

It happens to all of us! Honestly, I have moments of abject despair at the prospect of not getting in somewhere. Usually I'm happy, confident, and optimistic, but boy are there bleak moments...

By the way, the professor I mentioned yesterday (not the emeritus) did indeed upload his letters, finally. I had emailed, and I fear he might be a bit annoyed at that, but the letters are in, so...yay!

Yay!! So happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction :) 

Continually repeating the mantra "baby steps" over here...you know, like writing one sentence at a time. I cannot wait for all of this to be over!!

Hmm. Seems to work for me -- both the application portion and the "check your application" portion.

I'm not sure what I did, but after I kept trying to log in, it finally let me through. Strange.

Two-second venting about the recommender who dropped the ball...

He did write me an email to explain his situation to let me know that it was indeed an emergency and that it didn't mean that he wasn't supportive. 

I understand that life happens (it's happened to me before, too), but that it's also the job of academics to provide references and write letters when asked because that is part of their responsibilities, or at least provide some sort of back-up plan in case things like this happen. 

At the end of the day, he still dropped the ball even if he still wants the best for me. And that speaks louder than any sort of justification/apology email with the lines, "I hope you'll be able to find someone else" with about 10 days to go before deadlines. 

Just thankful to have found an alternate writer who stepped up to the plate. And vowing never to be THAT professor...

Two of my letter writers are doing a lot of tailoring of each letter to each specific school. That's great--wonderful, thank you, I'm filled up with gratitude from the bottom of my heart!

Here's the thing, though. One of them does it in batches, uploading about two at a time a few days before the next set of deadlines. Cool. But the other one has submitted each of the letters that have been due thus far in the early evening of their deadlines, which is turning those days into inordinately stressful, high-stakes games of temporal chicken. On each and every one, as the clock ticks down through the day my own tics get worse: "Is this the day he'll forget? Should I send him another reminder? I'm worrying for nothing, right? Surely he'll remember!"

Cue the nervous laughter as I reach for a tumbler.

Let's get through this and enjoy our winter breaks! 

Indeed! I am so look looking forward to that moment when all my apps are complete, the semester is over, and I head home for the holidays. I'm going to try not to think about graduate school one single bit at that point, but focus on having fun over break, enjoying my new classes when they start up in January, and preparing for my upcoming conference presentation.

A question for those who've done this before, though: how, aside from keeping a scrupulously cleaned inbox, did you deal with the stress of waiting? I'm going to try to adopt an attitude of disinterested equanimity, but let's not kid ourselves on how successful I'll be--any specific recommendations or whatnot? I know several people have said to avoid GC during that time, and I must admit part of me thinks it'd be healthy not to log between, say, when my apps are completed and when I get my first rejection and need an electronic shoulder to cry on or my first acceptance and need someone to help pop the digital champagne. Other thoughts/hints/strategies that worked for y'all, or things those of you who are just now undergoing this process intend to try to do to keep yourself hale and whole?

Indeed! I am so look looking forward to that moment when all my apps are complete, the semester is over, and I head home for the holidays. I'm going to try not to think about graduate school one single bit at that point, but focus on having fun over break, enjoying my new classes when they start up in January, and preparing for my upcoming conference presentation.

A question for those who've done this before, though: how, aside from keeping a scrupulously cleaned inbox, did you deal with the stress of waiting? I'm going to try to adopt an attitude of disinterested equanimity, but let's not kid ourselves on how successful I'll be--any specific recommendations or whatnot? I know several people have said to avoid GC during that time, and I must admit part of me thinks it'd be healthy not to log between, say, when my apps are completed and when I get my first rejection and need an electronic shoulder to cry on or my first acceptance and need someone to help pop the digital champagne. Other thoughts/hints/strategies that worked for y'all, or things those of you who are just now undergoing this process intend to try to do to keep yourself hale and whole?

I'd say if you're still in school, just try to focus on the task at hand though I understand how difficult that may be, since you're "in the field" even if not yet a doctoral student. 

I'm outside the US now, definitely not teaching in literature, and the education system here has a very generous winter break: I don't have to begin teaching until March 1. So, I'll be spending half of the three-month break in the US, and then I'm planning a warm beach get-away in February (somewhere with no wifi), followed by just catching up with people I haven't seen while I've been working on this madness. 

Having gone through grad school admissions for other programs twice now: Law school admissions went by in a blur, but since they were rolling I heard back pretty quickly after I applied. The MA in IR I applied for four years ago---the waiting killed me, so I traveled (I had just graduated from law school and waiting for my bar results, interning part-time). 

I'm going to be the first to say it: Rejection sucks. Law school admissions were brutal. I was accepted to one---the school I eventually ended up attending, waitlisted at like three to four, and denied from the rest. I had applied to like 15 schools or so at that time. And it was just painful because everyone knew I had applied and was constantly asking me about the results. I got lucky with my MA applications: I applied to two schools and was accepted by both. One thing that I learned from my experience is that it is best to be up front and honest with yourself and others with the results. Yes, there will be those who will gloat over your rejections (but don't worry, karma will get them) but I found that being open allowed me to come to terms with my situation quicker, whether good or not so good. 

Edited by fancypants09

Like fancypants, I had a vacation planned during January. My husband and I went to Paris and Rome for two weeks. It was an amazing trip, and I couldn't obsess over grad apps while watching snow dance around the Eiffel Tower! Even if you aren't able to plan a vacation abroad during January, I think it's wise to have something to look forward to.  A camping trip, an amazing concert, hosting some friends/family, etc. It's really nice to have something fun to look forward to and take your mind off of things!

I was also relieved during the waiting period that I didn't tell many people about my applications, so I didn't have lots of people asking for updates. By the time I told people, I had good news to share. I didn't experience anyone gloating over my rejections (fancypants, that's awful you did! I really hope that isn't the norm).

I found GC to actually be a help during the waiting period. Sure, the results search feature can be maddening. I learned that many programs spread out their acceptances over a few days, so there were two programs I had assumed rejection from and I was actually accepted in the first round. But the peer support from people who "get it"? That was invaluable. 

I mentioned this before, but I also had a Plan B in the works. I think that relieved some of the stress of waiting, though not all.

Mostly, I just kept on with my life during the waiting period. I threw myself into teaching, continued to spend time with my partner and friends, read some books, watched some TV, etc. Just keep living! 

I think I'll be on GC regularly throughout the process. I'm not sure if this will help my anxiety level or seriously hurt it, but GC is part of my daily routine, and frankly, I have a vested interest in where everyone gets in! I don't know any of you personally, but I've sort of gotten to know many of you, so...I'm interested!

Like fancypants, I had a vacation planned during January. My husband and I went to Paris and Rome for two weeks. It was an amazing trip, and I couldn't obsess over grad apps while watching snow dance around the Eiffel Tower! Even if you aren't able to plan a vacation abroad during January, I think it's wise to have something to look forward to.  A camping trip, an amazing concert, hosting some friends/family, etc. It's really nice to have something fun to look forward to and take your mind off of things!

I was also relieved during the waiting period that I didn't tell many people about my applications, so I didn't have lots of people asking for updates. By the time I told people, I had good news to share. I didn't experience anyone gloating over my rejections (fancypants, that's awful you did! I really hope that isn't the norm).

I found GC to actually be a help during the waiting period. Sure, the results search feature can be maddening. I learned that many programs spread out their acceptances over a few days, so there were two programs I had assumed rejection from and I was actually accepted in the first round. But the peer support from people who "get it"? That was invaluable. 

I mentioned this before, but I also had a Plan B in the works. I think that relieved some of the stress of waiting, though not all.

Mostly, I just kept on with my life during the waiting period. I threw myself into teaching, continued to spend time with my partner and friends, read some books, watched some TV, etc. Just keep living! 

Thanks proflorax. Sadly, I think it's somewhat the norm amongst many a law-school applicant where rightly or wrongly everyone obsesses about various "prestige" factors---I believe it's fueled by insecurities more than anything. I'm glad I did it, and I'm also glad I'm leaving to pursue something I feel truly passionate about. I think it's less in the humanities because everyone's project is so specialized and personalized. 

I'll also be checking into GC pretty frequently. I actually don't know how the whole admission process works for doctorate programs---do they email? Snail mail? Call? And when? So it'll keep things interesting for me, to say the least. 

Depending on where I end up, there will be a huge move in the works---packing up five years of life abroad and heading to my next destination, so looking forward to it! 

But first, let me get back at those pesky applications... ;)

I'll also be checking into GC pretty frequently. I actually don't know how the whole admission process works for doctorate programs---do they email? Snail mail? Call? And when? So it'll keep things interesting for me, to say the least. 

Depending on where I end up, there will be a huge move in the works---packing up five years of life abroad and heading to my next destination, so looking forward to it! 

But first, let me get back at those pesky applications... ;)

It looks like many phone you to tell you you've been accepted. Others email, and still others expect you to check their application site. Rejections are usually done by the latter two methods, I think, as well as snail mail, and often come after the acceptances (but some programs do them all in bulk). So...it varies.

I'm sure that most of us will have big moves involved after acceptance, though an overseas move is obviously a bit of a different beast. My big concern is that my wife will need to find a job in her field wherever we wind up, or else we'll have to live apart for some / most / all of the time. Not a nice prospect, of course. She has a relatively narrow field, though should be able to find something eventually in most city environments. As a result, places like Cornell and Penn State are a little lower on my hope-to-get-into list, though they still have excellent programs that I'd be delighted to be accepted into, of course. It's just the relatively rural setting of each will make for a less-than-ideal personal situation.

I have to say though...for all my anxiety / concern etc. about not getting in somewhere, I also have a lot of excitement at the prospect of going somewhere else for a few years. No matter what happens, we'll be moving away from this ugly little place in northeast / central Virginia. I just hope it's somewhere in Connecticut. Or New Jersey. Or Nashville. Or Boston or... ;)

I have to say though...for all my anxiety / concern etc. about not getting in somewhere, I also have a lot of excitement at the prospect of going somewhere else for a few years. No matter what happens, we'll be moving away from this ugly little place in northeast / central Virginia. I just hope it's somewhere in Connecticut. Or New Jersey. Or Nashville. Or Boston or... ;)

Yes, exactly.  This was my mindset applying to undergrad; it's my mindset for grad.  A change of scenery will be nice -- some of these places will be the best place yet, some won't, but wherever it is it'll be a change.  My wanderlust has been itching me for like, two years.  If I don't get in anywhere, I'll still be going somewhere and figuring out something to do.  I'm pretty sure that most of the people I've talked to on this forum are going places though :).  And, yeah, I'll be sticking around as the process goes on too!  I've got 2 apps in and 8 or 9 left to go!  I'm actually getting less stressed with every app.  For now anyway.  Let's do this!  I'm pumped. 

Yes, exactly.  This was my mindset applying to undergrad; it's my mindset for grad.  A change of scenery will be nice -- some of these places will be the best place yet, some won't, but wherever it is it'll be a change.  My wanderlust has been itching me for like, two years.  If I don't get in anywhere, I'll still be going somewhere and figuring out something to do.  I'm pretty sure that most of the people I've talked to on this forum are going places though :).  And, yeah, I'll be sticking around as the process goes on too!  I've got 2 apps in and 8 or 9 left to go!  I'm actually getting less stressed with every app.  For now anyway.  Let's do this!  I'm pumped. 

I wish I had more upvotes (apparently my quota is 2 today) but I agree with everything everyone has said so far. I can't wait for this purgatory to be done! No matter what happens, I feel that we've all learned so much from the stress of even just applying. As cheesy as it sounds, it's about the journey, not the destination ... right?!?

I spent most of my waiting time last year focused on writing my thesis and teaching while somewhat obsessively checking the results board a few times a day. I will say though that it becomes much easier (in my opinion at least) if you're lucky enough to get a relatively early acceptance. I got my first one in January & it took so much pressure off the entire situation.

As for how they notify you, it really is a mixed bag in my experience. I got a mix of emails, phone calls, and even an actual letter last year. 

I spent most of my waiting time last year focused on writing my thesis and teaching while somewhat obsessively checking the results board a few times a day. I will say though that it becomes much easier (in my opinion at least) if you're lucky enough to get a relatively early acceptance. I got my first one in January & it took so much pressure off the entire situation.

I think this will be my drug of choice--I've always been able to throw myself in to work to get my mind off anything, so thesis it is. I'm going to focus a lot on bringing seminar papers up to snuff for publication too!

<whispers> seriously praying for at least one early acceptance too... boy would that take a load off.

Yes, beyond the usual caveat of "I'll gladly take any acceptance from anywhere, anytime" etc., I must admit that I'm hoping I get one early as well. There are three places I've applied to that have, in recent history, responded by the end of January. If I get one of those, I'll be beyond elated, though I must admit that all three are places I'd have a strong desire to go to if I got accepted everywhere, so there's that too.

Yes, beyond the usual caveat of "I'll gladly take any acceptance from anywhere, anytime" etc., I must admit that I'm hoping I get one early as well. There are three places I've applied to that have, in recent history, responded by the end of January. If I get one of those, I'll be beyond elated, though I must admit that all three are places I'd have a strong desire to go to if I got accepted everywhere, so there's that too.

An early admit would be delightful--my stress level will go down so much just as soon as I know I'll be going somewhere, and all the schools to which I've applied are places I'd be happy to be. I keep joking that as soon as I get one, I can just call up the others and tell them to take my name off their lists!

You would think the early acceptance would diminish your stress levels. But having my first response be an acceptance, it did not make the subsequent waiting and rejections that much easier.

An early admit would be delightful--my stress level will go down so much just as soon as I know I'll be going somewhere, and all the schools to which I've applied are places I'd be happy to be. I keep joking that as soon as I get one, I can just call up the others and tell them to take my name off their lists!

Seriously! With maybe one exception, I think that I'd be happy to go anywhere I applied. It's going to be difficult to resist the temptation to shout "Yes! Yes! A thousand times, yes!" to the first (if I am to get more than one...) acceptance call I receive. But at heart, I do want to see the process through and be able to weigh all my options...if there are options, of course.