Fall 2015 Applicants

When the waiting sucks, and parents keep making snide remarks about my not having a job, this is the only thing. 

O, definitely. I managed to find a 6 month contract job, but I'm so worried. I'm international which means I'm not eligible for many of the scholarships in the UK unis I've been accepted to. If I get the Leeds scholarship (and there's only one) for international students doing english I'll still have to cover accomodation as it only covers school fees only. if I get into an american program funding is more likely. sigh. I'm now in a corner with my head hurting. the worst part is the waiting. at least if all my american programs rejected me I could begin trying to plan finances for my UK programs.... :unsure: now however I'm not sure of the american situation, and if they fund me with stipend I will go there (though my preferred supervisor is at Warwick). of course if Warwick funds me then I'll just go there. :unsure: :unsure:

I know I've been feeling unmotivated lately (which is unfortunate since I'm in my final semester before graduating with my BA), so I turned to the video that I watched a few times during my own personal writing sample debacle. I'm sure some of you probably know of this, or at least of zefrank. There is an f-bomb in there, if you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who may be having a hard time getting things done while waiting.

Hey, all! I've been a hardcore lurker of these forums since summer, but I've decied that given the stress of the waiting game, it's high time that I found friends to huddle together with for warmth. Or something. Erm, anyhow... It's lovely to meet you! :)

(P.S. For those of you who are 'regulars' around here, it's been a real help to read your advice and encouragement to one another throughout the app season. As I've seen others observe, I'm delighted to think that I may be lucky enough to have you as colleages someday!)

Hey, all! I've been a hardcore lurker of these forums since summer, but I've decied that given the stress of the waiting game, it's high time that I found friends to huddle together with for warmth. Or something. Erm, anyhow... It's lovely to meet you! :)

(P.S. For those of you who are 'regulars' around here, it's been a real help to read your advice and encouragement to one another throughout the app season. As I've seen others observe, I'm delighted to think that I may be lucky enough to have you as colleages someday!)

Welcome, welcome! Huddling for warmth and comfort as February is upon us :)

Welcome to a fellow Vancouverite!

(I'm from there originally, but have been in the U.S. for five years).

I see you already have an acceptance. Congrats!

Welcome, welcome! Huddling for warmth and comfort as February is upon us :)

Welcome to a fellow Vancouverite!

(I'm from there originally, but have been in the U.S. for five years).

I see you already have an acceptance. Congrats!

Thank you for your welcomes! (And hey, so cool to run into someone from home!)

I did get an acceptance into the UBC MA program! I've applied to 8 American PhD programs and 2 Canadian MA programs. Kinda hoping to go the Ph.D route, but we'll see where the chips fall. (Actually, I used different SOP formats for my MA / PhD apps and over the past few days, I've been kind of horrified to realize that my MA format was much stronger. Not too optimistic about my PhD apps at this point, but trying to remember that it's way too early to give up hope!)

Welcome erosanddust! And congrats on the acceptance as well. :)

Your interests listed in your signature sound really great! Do you study cultural effects of war in post-WWII literature, or is that just a temporal place holder? Just asking because despite my eighteenth century focus, I have a deep fondness for that time period and how people handled the after effects of war.

Promise? Lol 

Yes. 100% guaranteed or your money back!

(Failing that, we can just pool our collective anguish, and use that to push the send button in every school's email system... :P)

Yes. 100% guaranteed or your money back!

(Failing that, we can just pool our collective anguish, and use that to push the send button in every school's email system... :P)

Here's hoping for news!

All I can say is praise the Lord for the Pats winning the Super Bowl... The first thing to keep me off the internet for more than an hour since my apps went out!

Here's hoping for news!

All I can say is praise the Lord for the Pats winning the Super Bowl... The first thing to keep me off the internet for more than an hour since my apps went out!

What a great game. I didn't care who won: I just wanted a good, close game. And that's what we got. My jaw dropped several times in the last sixty seconds. That catch! That interception! That fight!

Still, let's be honest here. The real winner last night was Missy and all her damn fierceness. #getyourfreakon

It feels like the night before Christmas... I'm thinking we'll wake up to a wave of responses!

19004-parks-and-recreation-giddy-ron.gif

Every day should begin with a Ron Swanson smile.

Fingers crossed that this week brings good news to most of us. I know it's still "early," but let's be honest here...we're getting into the thick of it now!

And here's hoping that the inevitable rejectees don't get too bitter and the inevitable acceptees don't gloat too much! Even though it sometimes doesn't feel like it, we're truly all in this together. :)

Does anyone else wish there was a time stamp for when results are posted? It would be great to know approximately what time of day my phone could ring. :/

I've resigned myself to the mindset of "be prepared for notification at any time"...which obviously means my nerves are heightened 24/7.

It's hard to read Modernist novels and Shakespeare plays with it hanging over my head. I just finished Death Comes For the Archbishop yesterday, and I swear I had to read every page twice because my mind invariably wandered the first time.

By the way...does anyone else think they hear their phone ringing all the time these days? I've warned off all friends and family from calling me unless it's important. They've been good about that. Yet when I'm in the shower, or watching TV, or have a blender going or something, I swear I hear my phone ringing. And it never is.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

By the way...does anyone else think they hear their phone ringing all the time these days? I've warned off all friends and family from calling me unless it's important. They've been good about that. Yet when I'm in the shower, or watching TV, or have a blender going or something, I swear I hear my phone ringing. And it never is.

I assumed I was hearing echoes from a parallel universe, one where I was awesome enough to be accepted to every school, even ones to which I never applied. 

I'm glad to know others are having this problem too. 

Does anyone else wish there was a time stamp for when results are posted? It would be great to know approximately what time of day my phone could ring. :/

I thought about this too but I don't think we want to go down that rabbit-hole... just because last year, say, UCLA sent out notifications at 3:32 pm doesn't mean we should all be huddled around our phones at that time this year :P

I assumed I was hearing echoes from a parallel universe, one where I was awesome enough to be accepted to every school, even ones to which I never applied. 

I'm glad to know others are having this problem too. 

How often I have sat alone

And waited for the phone to ring,

But only heard the dial tone.

Some nights the silence holds me prone

In reverie, remembering

How often I have sat alone.

I've stared it down; my hopes have grown:

I thought I'd hear the siren sing--

But only heard the dial tone.

I've perched, a pauper on a throne

Before the phone, my rightful king;

How often I have sat alone.