I withdrew from the first University I attended. Will this hurt my chances of acceptance?

alex120020

I withdrew from all 5 of my classes during my first semester at college due to severe depression. A year later I applied to my current university as a new student and I've been doing really well. I know grad schools want transcripts from all institutions attended so I'm a bit worried about it. Even if I do get an interview what do I do if they ask me about it? I certainly don't want to say I withdrew due to mental problems. Would it be ok if I just said I withdrew due to health reasons and hope that they won't try to ask beyond that?

It probably won't hurt you much, provided you're strong every where else. They probably won't ask about it in an interview - go with "health issue," if they do. They would probably not probe further - if they do, politely indicate you don't feel comfortable disclosing any more information as it is personal.

I withdrew from all 5 of my classes during my first semester at college due to severe depression. A year later I applied to my current university as a new student and I've been doing really well. I know grad schools want transcripts from all institutions attended so I'm a bit worried about it. Even if I do get an interview what do I do if they ask me about it? I certainly don't want to say I withdrew due to mental problems. Would it be ok if I just said I withdrew due to health reasons and hope that they won't try to ask beyond that?

I honestly don't think it'll matter. I also had a situation where the first semester on my transcripts was marred by a set of withdrawals, followed by a complete 180 of "doing really well." And I remember feeling completely paranoid that I would look like a "risky" candidate to admissions committees. Yet throughout my interviews, I was never once asked about it. 

As long as you're currently succeeding and passionate about what you're studying, you'll be golden. :)

I actually ended up having to medically withdraw from a graduate university due to a severe depression disorder last Fall 2013 as well leaving me with 5 classes as a W. I decided to apply to a different type of graduate program for the Fall 2014 season and so far I haven't had any problems. I was even accepted to my top school for a dual degree program. So don't be too hard on yourself or worry too much! Plus, the way I see it if a school can't understand the importance of personal health, maintenance, and balance then that isn't going to be a very conducive program. Being that you're going for psychology programs I would think they would actually have respect for you taking time to help yourself.

I also have other health issues that have been part of my application explanations through my bachelors and previous graduate application season and it has never hindered my acceptance into a program that I really wanted to be a part of. 

I hope this helps you. Try not to really worry about that aspect of your application so much. A short explanation of leave of absence for health issues is sufficient and they shouldn't ask for anything else further than that. I wish you best of luck!