Let's Talk Sports

Since I've been offered consideration for Syracuse's funded MA, I find myself watching their basketball team and pulling for them. Hard. It's common knowledge that if their basketball team wins, the good karma extends my way. Anyone else finding themselves suddenly fans and/or haters of new teams as a result of the process?

Also: I realize Syracuse has dropped from #1 to #4 since I've been extended consideration. So maybe it's actually in my interest that they lose games...

I'll admit I fleetingly thought of it when FSU won the BCS championship...the fantasy of twice as many offers and higher stipends thanks to the million dollar TV deals. I haven't been rejected so you can't say I'm wrong.

I'll admit I fleetingly thought of it when FSU won the BCS championship...the fantasy of twice as many offers and higher stipends thanks to the million dollar TV deals. I haven't been rejected so you can't say I'm wrong.

Hahaha oh man. I wasn't really thinking about it much during football season because it was before I was getting any notifications, but I totally hope the BCS game sealed your fate as a Seminole. That'd be too good.

I've been a lifelong UIUC fan, so I've been unable to muster any positive feelings for OSU athletics and I predict the same if I get the same love from N'Western, I'll still hate their teams. Some of these other places, like Syracuse, I could manage it I think and I have taken an interest in those teams. Any non-Big Ten school has a shot at my heart.

I've been a lifelong UIUC fan, so I've been unable to muster any positive feelings for OSU athletics and I predict the same if I get the same love from N'Western, I'll still hate their teams. Some of these other places, like Syracuse, I could manage it I think and I have taken an interest in those teams. Any non-Big Ten school has a shot at my heart.

Non Big-10 team is a good rule. Not a Wisconsin or OSU or Michigan fan myself, although I can pull for michigan state sometimes. I like that Syracuse has a player named Rakeem Christmas and he wears 25. How fun.

I have a number of friends/internet friends on both sides of the MSU/UM rivalry. When I posted my MA offer on FB I got at least three "Sparty, NO!"s. I find that I've jumped in on the side of MSU in online debates between my friends, though not strongly. Coming out of a D3 program, however, I am looking forward to going to a school with a real football program. Or even Purdue.

I have a number of friends/internet friends on both sides of the MSU/UM rivalry. When I posted my MA offer on FB I got at least three "Sparty, NO!"s. I find that I've jumped in on the side of MSU in online debates between my friends, though not strongly. Coming out of a D3 program, however, I am looking forward to going to a school with a real football program. Or even Purdue.

It used to be easy. U of M for football. MSU for hoops. You could be a good michigan fella and root for a little bit of everyone.

It's not so easy now - the lines that were drawn have faded with time. Now people expect you to pick and actually be "loyal"

Bah! the thought of that... 

It used to be easy. U of M for football. MSU for hoops. You could be a good michigan fella and root for a little bit of everyone.

It's not so easy now - the lines that were drawn have faded with time. Now people expect you to pick and actually be "loyal"

Bah! the thought of that...

It was never that way with Texas and Texas A&M... The lines have been drawn and remained drawn with conference realignment. People get so caught up haha.

Did you apply to FSU’s Lit program? Me too. The waiting is killing me! I’ll root for their teams if it means higher stipends. 

Also: I realize Syracuse has dropped from #1 to #4 since I've been extended consideration. So maybe it's actually in my interest that they lose games...

It's in your interest in more ways than one. Syracuse will do better in the tournament for having lost some games beforehand. Nobody wants that undefeated albatross hanging around a team's collective neck heading into a post-season. It's just way too much tension and distraction. Now they're on planet earth, right where they belong, the pressure has been somewhat alleviated, and - like you and all of us here - they're free to just go and play their game. I didn't actually intend for this to bleed into a metaphor for the current application cycle - I am in fact parroting a perspective that I agree with from sports talk radio - but now that I think about it, it's not even a stretch. The logic is that adversity makes you stronger. Boom. You and the 'Cuse, in it together. 

I know nothing about sports, but I'll proudly rep my home state: Go Utah Utes! :)

I actually saw that one of Utah's football players is in critical condition after a motorcycle crash. Fingers crossed he gets better.

I actually saw that one of Utah's football players is in critical condition after a motorcycle crash. Fingers crossed he gets better.

So sad. It looks like his family is optimistic about his recovery, though!  

I'm wearing a TCU shirt right now (I dunno it was a gift from a prof who wanted me to apply there). Not sure I'd fit the culture there...

Rival-less. Is that good or bad? I feel that I need an arch-enemy to keep me honest... any takers?

Maybe SMU? Private schools. Who knows.

I don't think I could stand being a horned frog for the simple fact that it's a horned frog. Couldn't pick a better mascot?

Isn't Syracuse an orange? A sentient citrus fruit with arms and legs...

Damn. Touché. Not accepted there yet tho so I haven't quite taken on their absurd identifier.

Edited by despejado