Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I got an e-mail (addressed Dear Applicant) about applying to a dual MA with the London School of Economics, which will be a hard pass given that I already have an MA....

Yeah, me too. I think I saw on their page that if you get their merit scholarship it would cover 25% of tuition. Pretty shit deal really.

Well guys, we are 1 month away from decision day!  Where are people at right now?  Anyone still waiting to hear from programs?  What are you next steps in the next 4 weeks?  

I am waiting on my two wait list programs and going forward with campus visits to my other admitted schools.  The hardest part is figuring out travel arrangements for my Spring Break in April.  Wisconsin is still my top-choice, but if it does not come through, I think it will be a tough decision between Oregon and Binghamton.  

Good luck to all in this final stretch.  Congrats to those who have made decisions and are in the preparing stage!

I'm blown away right now. It was about a year ago that I started researching programs in earnest and also began my obsessive relationship with gradcafe ;) it actually helped me so much in writing my SOP and approaching applications, so I'm really glad my friend told me about this site (with the caveat that I would hate him for it!)

I'm so close to the end I can taste it! I vacillate between programs because all of them have wonderful departments and my advisers are all amazing. It's going to be a tough decision. I should know after I visit Minnesota. Until then, I'll be biting my nails and making pros and cons lists.

I hope all of you are nearing the end and happy with your options :) can't wait to hear where everyone ends up!

I'm so close to the end I can taste it! I vacillate between programs because all of them have wonderful departments and my advisers are all amazing. It's going to be a tough decision. I should know after I visit Minnesota. Until then, I'll be biting my nails and making pros and cons lists.

I did the same thing.  Until my former adviser asked me a very simple question, "All things equal, who do you want to work with more, X or Y?"  Out of nowhere, X came right out of my mouth.  She said, "That settles it.  You're going to work with X.  Now tell Y that you will be turning down his offer and going to work with X."

When we hung up the phone, I thought, "oh crap."

Well guys, we are 1 month away from decision day!  Where are people at right now?  Anyone still waiting to hear from programs?  What are you next steps in the next 4 weeks?  

I am waiting on my two wait list programs and going forward with campus visits to my other admitted schools.  The hardest part is figuring out travel arrangements for my Spring Break in April.  Wisconsin is still my top-choice, but if it does not come through, I think it will be a tough decision between Oregon and Binghamton.  

Good luck to all in this final stretch.  Congrats to those who have made decisions and are in the preparing stage!

I am still making pros and cons list, and perhaps I will arrange phone calls with some of my potential advisers to clarify several things before I can finalize my decision. I sort of anticipate to send out enrollment decision at the beginning of April. Still trying to distract myself from this by focusing on my master thesis right now...

Welp, I was wait listed at OSU because of funding. I'm glad to know where I stand, now I can wrap this season up and move on.

Sorry to hear.  Yes....let's say, the news came to us at a very bad time!

It's all good, I've gotten a wealth of riches this season and, honestly, I'm flattered that an awesome program like OSU even wait listed me! It's just nice to have all the results in hand.

I got in the University of Toronto!! They just literally sent me email 5 minutes ago....

Congrats! Formal email, or informal? And has your status on the page changed?

Congrats! Formal email, or informal? And has your status on the page changed?

Thanks everyone! It's pretty informal from the chair but he indicates that official letter will come in the mail soon. I haven't checked that page since I submitted my application so I am not sure.

Edited by anthrohis7092

Got rej from UCSC. They told me that I had weak analytical skills on SOP and weak LORs. I felt like I was greatly insulted as I know how great the profs. who wrote my LORs and how they are attentive to me. I'm glad I got into UH and Claremont as they NEVER told me that. Now starts the decision between the two schools.

Got rej from UCSC. They told me that I had weak analytical skills on SOP and weak LORs. I felt like I was greatly insulted as I know how great the profs. who wrote my LORs and how they are attentive to me. I'm glad I got into UH and Claremont as they NEVER told me that. Now starts the decision between the two schools.

Whoa, sorry about that. Did they tell you out of the blue alongside your rejection, or did you follow up with them? 

Edited by stillalivetui