Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I'm in a similar position Chiqui.  My wife is on the job market for the Iowa city area and has had some positive feedback, but nothing substantial yet.  We're also cleaned out the garage of a bunch of stuff this past weekend.  Finally, we're looking to rent the house before we move. I can't wait for August!

Im moving on the last week of July, and I thought that was rather late, since orientation is on Aug 17th.

I already found a place, and I'm SO amazed with the cost of living in IN. I knew it would be cheaper than CA, but holymoley.. my rent (with all utilities included, except internet) is $450; almost half my rent in Davis which was $850. Also, my rental is in a very spacious family home 0.8 miles away from campus. Now, all I need is heavy snow-weather clothing and learn how to ride a bike in the snow/ice 

In Varna till Sept 4th, then gf's parents are coming for a week. My acceptance letter says i start on the 1st, but matriculation doesn't happen till the 7th or 8th of October. SO, I have less than 3 weeks to move all our stuff out of one end of the country, find a place in Cambridge and move everything in. Thankfully the country in question is England, so it's not like moving from one end of the USA to another, but still!

The cherry on top is that I just got into a week-long seminar at the Radcliffe Institute at Harvard taking place the first week of June. I've been trying to get into that seminar for four years and it hadn't worked out for one reason or another.  It's an amazing tool for my research and basically, I need to do it.  I was all excited until I started looking up accommodation in Cambridge/Boston. Unless I win the lottery or a miracle happens, I don't think I can swing it.  I can't find a single hotel within walking distance to the institute or easy subway access for less than $325 a night. Plus flight, plus food, plus the seminar fee.  The thought of paying that much makes me sick to my stomach.  What's a girl to do???

Edited by Chiqui74

The cherry on top is that I just got into a week-long seminar at the Radcliffe Institute at Harvard taking place the first week of June. I've been trying to get into that seminar for four years and it hadn't worked out for one reason or another.  It's an amazing tool for my research and basically, I need to do it.  I was all excited until I started looking up accommodation in Cambridge/Boston. Unless I win the lottery or a miracle happens, I don't think I can swing it.  I can't find a single hotel within walking distance to the institute or easy subway access for less than $325 a night. Plus flight, plus food, plus the seminar fee.  The thought of paying that much makes me sick to my stomach.  What's a girl to do???

Air B&B - should be some people subletting. I have a loveseat with a pull-out bed, but I think that would probably be hella awkward.

Ditto on AirB&B.  Harvard should be getting out pretty soon and people will need subletting.

Historians have strong opinions...who would've thought?

On another note, I'm pretty excited to go look at apartments around Davis this Wednesday. After the nuts and bolts stuff, I'm planning on spending the day at the library, doing hw and generally geeking out.

How is everyone else's moving prep going?

Pretty well, I am up to about $1000 by selling junk from around my apartment on facebook. I had figured I would be throwing most of this stuff in the garbage... who knew how enticing a $5 price tag is. I'm essentially charging people to really slowly clean my apartment.

Edited by twentysix

Pretty well, I am up to about $1000 by selling junk from around my apartment on facebook. I had figured I would be throwing most of this stuff in the garbage... who knew how enticing a $5 price tag is. I'm essentially charging people to really slowly clean my apartment.

That's brilliant! I'm stealing this. 

That's brilliant! I'm stealing this. 

By all means! My city has a garage sale-esque facebook group with about 25,000 people in it. Anything I list for $5 that I would have otherwise thrown in the garbage has sold.

That's super exciting Heimat! I'd love to hear what you think of the classes :) and thanks Chiqui! I'm glad it's finally over (and my hand has finally recovered).

I registered for classes this morning...it's, like, officially official guys. Now I just need to finish the million papers I neglected while prepping for comps...