Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

@catandcarves when do you think everyone will hear back re IUB? I know some have already got in. Cheers!

wish I knew! If I find out anything I will post.  History and Philosophy of Science is actually a separate department at IU so there have not been any history offers made that have been posted. If it gives anyone peace of mind, I got an email in late February saying pretty much "you are in the top of our applicant pool. please do not accept any other offers." Then received a formal offer March 4. 

Waitlists are a bit complicated. So you do not always have to wait until the deadline...but some people wait to make their decision until that day so it can come on April 15 or after.

Here is where it gets tricky. From what I have heard from various professors (UPenn, Madison, and Michigan) with waitlists and waitlists for funding it usually comes down to fields. So for example, someone in your field/working with your advisor would have to reject the offer for you to get the offer. It DOES happen because people will obviously turn down offers, but isn't just a ranking of candidates. Hope this helps/makes sense!

I urge people to turn down offers once they have an offer they would accept over the other(s) they have I did this throughout my process at the advice of a poster in last year's thread. Schools REALLY appreciate it. Some schools have a certain time window to make offers or can only make a certain amount for a certain fellowship/financial package so it is kind to your fellow applicants to #1) make their time waiting for acceptances shorter (we all know how stressful that is!) #2 give schools the chances to make those offers. 

Congrats to all the admits so far! SO happy for you all!

Thanks so much for the information!

I'm almost positive northwestern will notify both acceptances and rejections the same day, maybe the next as well. That seems to be the trend, though trends change so who really knows.

And wait, Gambaosaka, I didn't think anyone had heard from Indiana yet?

Sorry, I'm on crack. "History and Philosophy of Science" have had a couple of notifications not History PhD! Phew 

Thanks Heimat!

Does anyone have experience with wait lists?

Do you normally have to wait until the April 15th deadline to find out?

i found out around april 9th, and some universities extend the deadline from the 15th to give you time to mull the decision.

wish I knew! If I find out anything I will post.  History and Philosophy of Science is actually a separate department at IU so there have not been any history offers made that have been posted. If it gives anyone peace of mind, I got an email in late February saying pretty much "you are in the top of our applicant pool. please do not accept any other offers." Then received a formal offer March 4. 

Thanks again!

I emailed my POI 5/6 months back and he responded positively saying he liked my idea but maybe we should have a phone conversation to discuss things further and asked if I was in the US. I was in the UK but said I could still arrange a time. He never got back and was on research leave I think at the time. I don't mind him not getting back at all but I am hoping that wasn't a bad sign. I didn't want to bug him too much so left it at that. I am over-thinking it aren't I?

catsandscarves -- thanks for mentioning withdrawing applications. I'm going to withdraw a few once I receive funding information from a program that, as of now, is probably my top choice. I think waiting for funding is hugely important, though. No need to make a rash decision before the money is on the table!

My profs told me that an acceptance without funding is like a really nice rejection.

Thanks again!

I emailed my POI 5/6 months back and he responded positively saying he liked my idea but maybe we should have a phone conversation to discuss things further and asked if I was in the US. I was in the UK but said I could still arrange a time. He never got back and was on research leave I think at the time. I don't mind him not getting back at all but I am hoping that wasn't a bad sign. I didn't want to bug him too much so left it at that. I am over-thinking it aren't I?

I think everyone is over-thinking at this point :) At this point, your application speaks for itself, and I don't think it was a bad sign. I find faculty are either amazing at email or just let things that they really might think are important fall through the cracks of their inbox. I wouldn't sweat it!

catsandscarves -- thanks for mentioning withdrawing applications. I'm going to withdraw a few once I receive funding information from a program that, as of now, is probably my top choice. I think waiting for funding is hugely important, though. No need to make a rash decision before the money is on the table!

My profs told me that an acceptance without funding is like a really nice rejection.

Oh definitely. My MA advisor told me the same thing. As hard as this is to say, and was for me to hear, with how the job market is, unless you can easily finance the PhD/ your life without a job (I know I couldn't do that!!!), you really shouldn't accept any offer without funding. Sorry I did not state that more clearly in my advice, but for me, that was always a given. Do not withdraw until you have concrete funding and an actual offer letter to accept that they cannot take away from you!!! 

Also, I highly recommend keeping acceptance emails. As I have low moments in my program, they are nice to go back to for a pick me up :)

I think everyone is over-thinking at this point :) At this point, your application speaks for itself, and I don't think it was a bad sign. I find faculty are either amazing at email or just let things that they really might think are important fall through the cracks of their inbox. I wouldn't sweat it!

Haha, thanks. How are you enjoying life as a graduate student? And life in Bloomington in general? It's a gorgeous campus.

Haha, thanks. How are you enjoying life as a graduate student? And life in Bloomington in general? It's a gorgeous campus.

I really love it here. Really supportive department with great opportunities all around. Many different ways to be involved and engage in the scholarship/friendship of other students and faculty. I couldn't be happier with my decision. So far, I don't know anyone who is absolutely disappointed in their advisor either (though I admit I mostly know professors in the early American/antebellum time periods/fields) Also, great research funding available as well as dissertation support. People are not struggling to pay for their research here (or so it seems from my eyes and from other students who are off doing research).  IU is also unique in that it houses the Journal of American History and the American Historical Review (actually almost across the street from each other!), and grad students can work there as part of their funding. I realize I sound like an IU commercial, but I really have nothing but nice things to say.

As for Bloomington, I do like it; however, I came from living in a city so it is a bit different. Cost of living is really low (2 bedroom/1.5 bath two floor townhouse for $792 a month), and because IU is such a big school, there are always things to do. Great ethnic food scene, great theater productions always coming through, variety of bars to commiserate at. There are also great state parks/places to hike nearby. So while it is not city living, I am genuinely happy here except when I want really late night food or to buy some beer on a Sunday (can't sell it then here!)

It sounds like a dream :)

Didn't SHAFR's journal Diplomatic History recently get moved to IU? I know one of the profs I'd love to work with is an editor.

Sure did! They are currently hiring a grad student assistant so that is an opportunity opening up/ will be rotated here as well! 

I really love it here. Really supportive department with great opportunities all around. Many different ways to be involved and engage in the scholarship/friendship of other students and faculty. I couldn't be happier with my decision. So far, I don't know anyone who is absolutely disappointed in their advisor either (though I admit I mostly know professors in the early American/antebellum time periods/fields) Also, great research funding available as well as dissertation support. People are not struggling to pay for their research here (or so it seems from my eyes and from other students who are off doing research).  IU is also unique in that it houses the Journal of American History and the American Historical Review (actually almost across the street from each other!), and grad students can work there as part of their funding. I realize I sound like an IU commercial, but I really have nothing but nice things to say.

As for Bloomington, I do like it; however, I came from living in a city so it is a bit different. Cost of living is really low (2 bedroom/1.5 bath two floor townhouse for $792 a month), and because IU is such a big school, there are always things to do. Great ethnic food scene, great theater productions always coming through, variety of bars to commiserate at. There are also great state parks/places to hike nearby. So while it is not city living, I am genuinely happy here except when I want really late night food or to buy some beer on a Sunday (can't sell it then here!)

It sounds brilliant. I've been a few times and really liked the look and feel of the place. My brother lives in Indy and and has taught a few classes there  + know quite of a few of my friends who studied there (one is actually a graduate student at the moment). 

In all honesty, I haven't really met anyone who went there who didn't speak highly of the experience of studying there. Despite my brother living there and being a hardcore Hoosier now, Bloomington is probably the only place I would like to live in that State (no offense to any Hoosiers out there).

It sounds brilliant. I've been a few times and really liked the look and feel of the place. My brother lives in Indy and and has taught a few classes there + know quite of a few of my friends who studied there (one is actually a graduate student at the moment).

In all honesty, I haven't really met anyone who went there who didn't speak highly of the experience of studying there. Despite my brother living there and being a hardcore Hoosier now, Bloomington is probably the only place I would like to live in that State (no offense to any Hoosiers out there).

Totally with you that bloomington is the only place I'd want to live in indiana haha

IU sounds fantastic! It's definitely very high on my list.

Great! Anyone who ends up getting accepted/is coming to visit let me know and ask any questions you'd like. I'll likely be showing around prospectives, and I'd love to meet you all.

It's quite thoughtful and considerate of candidates to withdraw applications from programs that they are confident they won't attend, but be careful not to be too hasty. Remember that your primary responsibility is to yourself, and you owe yourself the opportunity to explore all possibilities. 

Absolutely agree. I just think sometimes it is pretty clear some schools are safety options if you don't get into top choices with funding. Definitely have to think of yourself thought if it might be a close call.

Hey all - just created my account to claim the Illinois admit. My first of the cycle! It was an email with offer letter attachment from the DGS about an hour ago. The letter says that this year they had a large and strong applicant pool, and it also mentioned the name of the faculty member who supported my application. Funding offer was also included, along with an invitation to a prospective student's weekend March 15-17.

Hey all - just created my account to claim the Illinois admit. My first of the cycle! It was an email with offer letter attachment from the DGS about an hour ago. The letter says that this year they had a large and strong applicant pool, and it also mentioned the name of the faculty member who supported my application. Funding offer was also included, along with an invitation to a prospective student's weekend March 15-17.

congrats

Congrats fianna. What's your focus?

Thanks. I'm currently at UNLV working on my MA in American history with a focus on the legal development of race. My thesis topic is on testamentary manumission in Virginia. I applied to programs which are strong in Atlantic World, race and legal history because I want to do more comparative/transnational work in the future.

To add in to the earlier topic, I'm also a "non-traditional" applicant. My BA was in History, but I have a MS in Management Information Systems. No kids (I bow to all of you who are doing this with little ones! Trying to work, go to school and have anything that resembles a social life is hard enough when you only have adults to accommodate). To make this whole process even more interesting (read: stressful as hell), my husband is also applying to PhD programs in Political Science. I'm doubly relieved because he's already gotten a yes from Illinois, so no matter what, we have at least one overlapping admission.