Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

All of my applications were reaches by design. The job market out there is so gnarly that almost all of my professors advocate the 'go big or go home' approach. That being said, a lot of the professors that I want to work with have degrees from programs outside the top 30 or even 50. If I don't get in anywhere I might apply again, but I'll definitely take a quick break from academia first.

Same here.  There were only a couple I didn't feel were too much of a reach, and one of them has already notified :/

I've been lurking since late January on this thread, but thought I'd give a boost.

My undergrad was at UofC, and the Resident Head of my House was a PhD Student in NELC. He said he'd done theologic work and a Masters program in Texas before applying for his PhD. He also had a wife at the time and wasn't quite sure whether it'd work out with family + studies. Anyway, he ended up applying to Chicago by accident, without having contacted any faculty or knowing anyone in the program. He got rejected at over half his applications, but got admitted to Chicago. And if you know your NELC programs, you know that Chicago is in a league all its own when it comes to preparation and competition. To this day, he has no idea how he got admitted to the UChicago PhD, while getting rejected at schools not nearly competitive nor well-known.

The whole idea of "reach" in PhD programs, I think, is a lil silly since so much of this is out of your control. So much of it is haphazard, and sometimes you end up at the top program in your field having had your application sent on accident. Anything can happen, even if your "safeties" have said no. 

JJWS - same boat, I've been encouraged to go big or go home, and I can't help but feel that's especially true for Medieval History.  If I don't get into any of my schools I'm considering also applying to a few more M* programs (I'm still an undergrad) but otherwise probably teach high school for a bit and work on my languages, I've got four besides English but two of them are rather weak and even as a total I've been told it may not be enough - I'll definitely have to pick up at least one or two more in whatever program I get into.  

EDIT - mvlChicago, that's an encouraging anecdote!!

Edited by Hyram McDaniels

Hyram mcdaniels - which medieval studies programs did you apply to? I applied to a few medieval studies MA programs alongside my PhD programs just because I am also still finishing my undergrad and I am a little apprehensive about jumping straight into a PhD program (especially because of languages - my Latin could definitely be stronger)

Same here. There were only a couple I didn't feel were too much of a reach, and one of them has already notified :/

My professors were confident I was a good fit everywhere I applied, and so far, my top picks have ignored me.... Know how you feel...

It's natural we're all feeling a bit "meh" by now, but I think the reach is what will make the eventual acceptances so worthwhile.

I feel like any school is gonna be taking a chance on me. My MA dissertation grade was totally lacklustre. I lost a month and a half's writing up time to what I politely referred to as a "housing crisis" - a rather unexpected, unpleasant period during which I got a lot of use out of my favourite Bela Lugosi impression (

). We've all dealt with life getting in the way at some point and come out the other side. 

It's what makes us interesting candidates, and it's what'll either get us in, or give us what we need to get through bad news. What doesn't kill you and all that nonsense. And the very fact that we're all here overthinking this stuff means we care. That's gotta be worth something. 

erchha, I applied to Notre Dame, Cornell, and Yale for medieval studies, rest were in history with a focus on the medieval period.  I applied because I know I'd be a good fit - they all have people working in areas I really want to continue studying - and these had the strongest interdisciplinary focuses that fit my interests, but of course, there are dozens others if not more who are also good fits.  If I don't get in I might wait a year to apply to MA programs - so many people have encouraged me to take a year off anyways - we'll see.  How about you?

UVa is notifying, according to the results.

The problem with the despair is that it's not totally unfounded; it IS possible that one will be rejected from every school.  It's certainly not unprecedented. 

Ahh thanks for your responses everyone! I have another question for you. So I'm having some POI issues where a different POI in a different department is interested in working with me but there are some issues in transferring my application. (I applied to POLIS at Cambridge to work on a history project and the other POI is in the History dept---all other schools I applied directly to all History programs). She said she would follow up on the application transfer but it may take some time. Its been 2 weeks and I haven't heard back from her. Should I follow up? What should I do? I'm running out of nails to bite lol

I also looked at Notre Dame but I ended up not applying - it's a great program though! I applied to the MA programs at Toronto, Fordham, and Western Michigan, who all have people I would love to work with. I am in the same boat as you - I think if applications don't work out for me this round I will take a year off and do some teaching and work on languages before trying again next year. I would be thrilled to land in an MA program though. I will just be excited if any of the places I applied accept me!

It's great to see more medievalists here! I also applied to Fordham's MA, by the way. I considered Notre Dame as well, but in the end decided against it for some dumb reason. (I don't think my school selection was very well thought-out.)

nom, Cambridge is a monstrous bureaucracy and there are so many places along the chain of delegating administrative tasks where your request might have fallen through! I suggest you email your prospective advisor again, but maybe someone else as well. A secretary, program director, graduate admissions official, or someone else who might have handled your request. (I'm still waiting for them to send me my official acceptance so that I can edit my signature, by the way!)

Edited by L13

On 2/3/2015 at 11:09 PM, KBHistorian said:

Very nice! I actually had a textbook last semester for my Ancient Rome course that was written by a professor at NCSU. So no foreign language exam for you either?

Oh fingers crossed for the both of us! It would be cool if we both went there then we'll know at least one person

Cool! Well, they just have one full-time professor in ancient history, so it must have been him I guess!  Nope, no language exams!  I had all but given up hope that I could pursue Ancient History as my field, due to my lack of language experience, until I found NCSU.  Now I actually might get my PhD, eventually!  By the way, I heard back from the Director of Graduate Programs about funding.  She said they'd hopefully be making decisions and sending out emails by the end of the week!

It would be great to know someone there!  NCSU is my top choice, along with Texas Tech because they're offering a similar deal.  I just hope funding comes through on at least one of them...

From my limited understanding of the process, if someone declines an offer I'd imagine the next person on the list is then offered the spot.  That would seem to indicate that you can move off the wait list at any time, depending on when the person declines.  That being said, many will wait until the April 15 agreed upon decision deadline before declining. 

UPenn. I always referred to as UPenn myself, but apparently faculty/students there just call it Penn, so I've adopted their language.

Penn was the traditional way to refer to the university but UPenn is currently being pushed to try and reduce confusion with Penn State among the general public. Most people still refer to it as Penn, but that's changing.

It's past 5 in central time zone. Is it safe to assume that Northwestern isn't sending any more out? It seems pretty strange that there were only 2 people that got acceptances. 

I know some universities (at least) have periods between acceptances.

I am guessing the ones that are dead-certs get in at the beginning and then there is another wave of acceptances after further committee meetings and then wait-lists.

So I am guessing the bulk will go out in a couple of weeks.

Curious to hear what the others think.

I know some universities (at least) have periods between acceptances.

I am guessing the ones that are dead-certs get in at the beginning and then there is another wave of acceptances after further committee meetings and then wait-lists.

So I am guessing the bulk will go out in a couple of weeks.

Curious to hear what the others think.

In previous years Northwestern stuff has all come out in the same day.

Thanks Heimat!

Does anyone have experience with wait lists?

Do you normally have to wait until the April 15th deadline to find out?

Waitlists are a bit complicated. So you do not always have to wait until the deadline...but some people wait to make their decision until that day so it can come on April 15 or after.

Here is where it gets tricky. From what I have heard from various professors (UPenn, Madison, and Michigan) with waitlists and waitlists for funding it usually comes down to fields. So for example, someone in your field/working with your advisor would have to reject the offer for you to get the offer. It DOES happen because people will obviously turn down offers, but isn't just a ranking of candidates. Hope this helps/makes sense!

I urge people to turn down offers once they have an offer they would accept over the other(s) they have I did this throughout my process at the advice of a poster in last year's thread. Schools REALLY appreciate it. Some schools have a certain time window to make offers or can only make a certain amount for a certain fellowship/financial package so it is kind to your fellow applicants to #1) make their time waiting for acceptances shorter (we all know how stressful that is!) #2 give schools the chances to make those offers. 

Congrats to all the admits so far! SO happy for you all!

Edited by catsandscarves

Waitlists are a bit complicated. So you do not always have to wait until the deadline...but some people wait to make their decision until that day so it can come on April 15 or after.

Here is where it gets tricky. From what I have heard from various professors (UPenn, Madison, and Michigan) with waitlists and waitlists for funding it usually comes down to fields. So for example, someone in your field/working with your advisor would have to reject the offer for you to get the offer. It DOES happen because people will obviously turn down offers, but isn't just a ranking of candidates. Hope this helps/makes sense!

I urge people to turn down offers once they have an offer they would accept over the other(s) they have I did this throughout my process at the advice of a poster in last year's thread. Schools REALLY appreciate it. Some schools have a certain time window to make offers or can only make a certain amount for a certain fellowship/financial package so it is kind to your fellow applicants to #1) make their time waiting for acceptances shorter (we all know how stressful that is!) #2 give schools the chances to make those offers. 

Congrats to all the admits so far! SO happy for you all!

@catandcarves when do you think everyone will hear back re IUB? I know some have already got in. Cheers!

I'm almost positive northwestern will notify both acceptances and rejections the same day, maybe the next as well. That seems to be the trend, though trends change so who really knows.

And wait, Gambaosaka, I didn't think anyone had heard from Indiana yet?