Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Gambaosaka1, I haven't heard anything at all from UNC, and I don't recall seeing much interview stuff posted in previous cycles. I think the fact that you got an interview is about as good of a sign as anyone will get before they actually start to admit.

Cheers for the kind words!  I am still not completely confident as he did say there were meetings to take place and discussions to be had in the dept. Fingers crossed! It wasn't really a good fit at UW but I did get a nice email from my POI 4/5 months back so feeling a bit nervous after that rejection (plus expecting the Stanford one to be coming along shortly). Hopefully we both get into UNC.

What is your top choice from the places you applied to?

Edited by Gambaosaka1

I think that UNC is probably the best fit because of its strengths in Civil War, Southern, and military history. UNC also has Joe Glatthaar, but UVA and Penn also have some real heavy hitters in Gary Gallagher and Steve Hahn. At no point in this process have I ever thought that I'd get into more than one place. If I did, I have no idea how I'd decide.

They have some departmental funding available...the Terasaki Center has money for some MA students. Want to make it clear I have 0 idea if I got that!

But I changed my application from a PhD to an MA on the basis that I would be "in line for recruitment funding" which of course does not mean I will definitely get it.

What are you thinking re UCLA?

I don't think I'll go. Just got offered a full funding package for a PhD at the other top ten UC school (I almost feel bad about it - but I can't feel too bad because I have literally spent the past five years of my life building my resume and skill set after getting rejected from everywhere the first time around), so I can't imagine ending up at UCLA for an MA now when I already have one. I'll turn it down, and hopefully that will make funds available to others (again, I don't even know if I was in line for those funds either).

I think that UNC is probably the best fit because of its strengths in Civil War, Southern, and military history. UNC also has Joe Glatthaar, but UVA and Penn also have some real heavy hitters in Gary Gallagher and Steve Hahn. At no point in this process have I ever thought that I'd get into more than one place. If I did, I have no idea how I'd decide.

I'd be ecstatic to get into ANY of the 11 PhD programs I've applied for as well! UNC would be ideal because of Cemil Aydin. I have got into UCLA's East Asian Studies MA program which is a fantastic option if I get the funding. Love Marotti's work.

Good luck with UNC and the rest.

I don't think I'll go. Just got offered a full funding package for a PhD at the other top ten UC school (I almost feel bad about it - but I can't feel too bad because I have literally spent the past five years of my life building my resume and skill set after getting rejected from everywhere the first time around), so I can't imagine ending up at UCLA for an MA now when I already have one. I'll turn it down, and hopefully that will make funds available to others (again, I don't even know if I was in line for those funds either).

That's fantastic news. No reason to feel guilty at all!

Any guesses on the next wave of admits/rejections?

Best of luck to you as well Gambaosaka1. I thought the time difference for news was rough being in the UK,but I can't even imagine how it works in Tokyo. Do you get any sleep at all between trying to function like a normal human being and obsessively checking this site like the rest of us?

Any guesses on the next wave of admits/rejections?

Best of luck to you as well Gambaosaka1. I thought the time difference for news was rough being in the UK,but I can't even imagine how it works in Tokyo. Do you get any sleep at all between trying to function like a normal human being and obsessively checking this site like the rest of us?

According to my POI at UNC the process should be over by the 3rd week of Feb. So we still have some waiting to do!

With writing occasionally and studying Japanese full-time, I haven't been getting much sleep so in that sense the time difference doesn't make much of a difference.  Although it is odd that I still have my hopes up of getting some notifications when it is Saturday here but have to wait till bloody Tuesday for the American weekday to start back up again.

Are you British as well? I moved here from the UK in October for Japanese and some early research.

Weekends are the best and the worst. Best because it's the weekend and there is no good reason to obsessively check email. The worse because there's no good reason to obsessively check email.

Agreed

I'm actually an American studying in Glasgow. A few in my cohort are applying to Phd programmes here in the UK which seems to be its own brand of madness. The impression I'm getting is that admissions and funding are more separated here.

They are! One of the reasons I didn't apply there. Prefer the US PhD program/funding system.

They are! One of the reasons I didn't apply there. Prefer the US PhD program/funding system.

US PhDs also seem to be much more intensively supervised, and they usually come with the benefit of the free MA en-route. I really wouldn't consider staying in the UK unless full funding was guaranteed and I already had a US MA.

US PhDs also seem to be much more intensively supervised, and they usually come with the benefit of the free MA en-route. I really wouldn't consider staying in the UK unless full funding was guaranteed and I already had a US MA.

Yeah, I loved my time during BA/MA in the UK but like the idea of having more time to engage with the literature and academics to develop a project (along with time and funding to improve language proficiency).

What are you planning on studying?

Edited by Gambaosaka1