Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

If that Duke admit was a troll I'm going to have a conniption. I haven't seen any more Duke submissions, I'm on the edge of my seat, and I have an important meeting in half an hour during which I really need to focus.

Edited by JTE

Hi all, I applied to the MA in History program at NC State and have yet to hear back. Should I probably go ahead and consider this as a rejection? I see that like 3 people have already heard back from them :( womp womp. 

I decided to make an account to let you know that Columbia's committee is meeting today. Whether or not they will notify us today remains to be seen. 

From where did you get that intel?

Hi all, I applied to the MA in History program at NC State and have yet to hear back. Should I probably go ahead and consider this as a rejection? I see that like 3 people have already heard back from them :( womp womp. 

I'm not history but I hope I offer some words of wisdom! Hearing back from NC State at this time is uncommon, from what I understand. I know a lot of people applying to various programs there (I live in the Raleigh area) and a lot of people in general haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't consider it a rejection at all. I think they just process the applications in a rolling way, as they come in. Good luck!

Edited by lmchandl

Has anyone gotten an acceptance from a school he or she did not receive an interview?

Illinois did not interview me.

Timing can sometimes be awesome. I went to campus yesterday and when my DGS saw me in the hall she congratulated me and also asked "did you know that the woman giving the job talk today just defended at Illinois?" So I got to talk to someone actually in the program. And I also now know for sure that grads are getting considered for jobs.

Her talk was great, too.

I was accepted by UCSB but wait listed for funding. It's probably one of my top fits, but the funding sure puts a damper on things!

Congrats!! Fingers crossed for funding. 

I'm not history but I hope I offer some words of wisdom! Hearing back from NC State at this time is uncommon, from what I understand. I know a lot of people applying to various programs there (I live in the Raleigh area) and a lot of people in general haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't consider it a rejection at all. I think they just process the applications in a rolling way, as they come in. Good luck!

Yeah, I think you are right! I feel like everyone kind of "jumps the gun" as soon as we see someone getting into a program before us. Thanks for the insight :) Good luck to you as well! 

Can anyone on here claim the UCSB admit with funding? 

I was accepted for an entirely different program, and am nominated for certain funding packages, but they can't say any amounts yet.

I'm trying to get a feel for what UCSB usually offers in its central fellowships in the humanities .... anyone?

jujubea--I think most of the UCs offer a base package of around $17,000/year for history students, not including summers that I know of. At least that's what I've heard from PhD students at a few of the UCs, including my alma mater (UCSC), Davis and UCSB.

Hi guys!

Not sure if I have introduced myself here or not, but I am a medievalist studying fourteenth century English law.  Extremely excited for some of my programs to start notifying -- the past week has been so quiet!  

The GRE is a total racket. $200 to take it, god only knows how much spent on study materials, plus $27 per official report? It's so ridiculous.

From what I understand, a great GRE can offset a mediocre GPA and vice versa. But I doubt it plays much role in admissions, though some state schools give it more weight because certain funding streams hinge on GRE scores.

EDIT: Welcome scirefaciat!

Edited by ashiepoo72

If last year's results are to be believed, Harvard should be making decisions today, presumably in the late afternoon since that seems to be the witching hour for most university committees, and UChicago might be doing the same thing and should start notifying accepted students on Monday.

Do people with first-hand knowledge of these departments have any thoughts?

ETA: Yes, the GRE is a total ripoff and ETS is even more unscrupulous than College Board, which at least gives you four free score reports that you can send at any time!

And welcome to the thread, scirefaciat! The more medievalists the merrier!

Edited by L13

jujubea--I think most of the UCs offer a base package of around $17,000/year for history students, not including summers that I know of. At least that's what I've heard from PhD students at a few of the UCs, including my alma mater (UCSC), Davis and UCSB.

Given the cost of living in Cali, that's patently absurd.

Hi all, long-time listener, first-time caller. Figured I may as well create an account if for no other reason than commiseration. 
19th-century South Asia is my field, applied to Berkeley, UT-Austin, UChicago, UPenn, Harvard, and Princeton (shooting for distant, distant stars here). Considering results so far, and the near-total radio silence on my end, it's been rough. Looks like Berkeley is a no-go, given they've sent out several acceptances already. Hopeful for better (or any concrete) results soon, though!