A Farewell to All

Hello everyone,

After a month of being nervous, a month of finding GradCafe and being obsessed with the Results page and lurking, and then a month of contributing to discussions, I just want to say thank you for all those who have been so supportive in this process (you know who you are). Initially coming to this website, I was quite skeptical and, frankly, thought that it was simply a place for people to brag about what schools they applied to and where they got in. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was greeted with open arms and shown such support in times of distress and received numerous pms and it really made a difference. I can't say I was ever physically or mentally distraught, like some seemed to be, but nevertheless any stress I did have was mollified by the amazing support group that this years Anthropology applicants and gradcafe veterans exemplified.

Since this time is over, and I'll be succumbing to the ordered chaos that is doctoral research, I will more than likely move on. But, I didn't want to do this without saying thank you for proving me wrong about my initial skepticism. 

For those of who you who have been accepted into programs, congratulations. For those of you who did not, please keep trying.  Best of luck to everyone in their future endeavors. I wish you all success, happiness, and many amazing beer-driven anthropology discussions with your new cohorts.

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind". - Churchill

Edited by DigDeep

DigDeep, 

Thanks for all the help you've provided to the forums as well! I just wanted to say, that you should pop back in every now and again to offer any valuable information you've gathered along the way. I'm sure you'll be busy, but I know everyone here now and in the future will benefit from those who have experienced the process. 

That being said, good luck to you! <though i'm sure you wont need it> 

Aww DigDeep, you will be missed! But I'm happy that you are going to use your time well to focus on your studies. That said, best of luck with grad school and everything else. Thank you for all your input and support, and like pears said, we shall see each other at the AAAs.

Many hugs and blessings.

Well, I suppose I'll have to wear a Star Wars shirt. Pretty sure this is shaping up to be quite the gathering of awesomeness....

Thanks for all the help you've provided to the forums as well! I just wanted to say, that you should pop back in every now and again to offer any valuable information you've gathered along the way. I'm sure you'll be busy, but I know everyone here now and in the future will benefit from those who have experienced the process. 

I appreciate it! I will definitely pop back in. Actually, I'll be finishing up my Masters this next quarter and I plan on writing up some advice for the Wisdom Repository soon. I just wanted to make sure I said thank you just in case I DID get sucked in.

Cheers again!

P.S. if this meeting does happen in the future remember to PM me even if I have dissappeared!

Edited by DigDeep

I'll be doing a Masters it looks like, but is it strange that I'm so excited for everyone who got accepted into programs? Lol. After watching everyone bleed emotion and anxiety, it is refreshing to see people achieve what they wanted. On the flip side, I also feel for those who were shut out. I found myself rooting for people.  Anyhow, I know I'll be on the boards since I'll be applying again after the MA. Good luck to all, hopefully since my concentration in LAS is a cultural focus, I will be allowed to attend the SAA's and AAA's. 

I really hope we do all meet some day!

Now we just need to code word we can drop into convo at the SAA and AAA that's like a signal for "Do I know you from Grad Cafe?" Any ideas...

Yeah. We could do a "pin" of some sort on the lapel. Since some of us will have talks and perhaps be dressed up!