Electrical Engineering PhD's - Anyone still waiting like me?

justinmcummings

Is anyone still waiting on admissions or funding? For me I am still waiting on Cornell, but I am 99.99% sure its a rejection. And for funding I am waiting to hear from University of Wisconsin and University of Minnesota. Pretty sure if no funding comes through I am going to do my masters at University of Michigan. What about everyone else?

I emailed Wisconsin this morning, and they got back to me just now saying they were still working on funding. Oof.

Oh how I wish they would let us know already, I emailed and asked when I had to accept or decline by and they said May 1st...So maybe they don't follow the April 15th deadline :-/.

Applied to Cornell, UMass (Amherst) and Purdue. Last week I got an email suggesting that I was admitted at Purdue with no funding (right after I emailed some professors to ask for funding through TA/RA, but none of them replied). Without funding I simply cannot go there, so this situation is as good as rejected.

About 3 weeks ago I sent an email to the ECE Departments in all three universities to inquire about my status, and they all responded saying basically that no final decisions have been made on my case. I haven't heard from UMass nor Cornell since then.

At this point, I don't know if I'm wait listed in UMass and Cornell. I am holding on to the idea of being wait listed and I like to think that a final offer/rejection will be sent by 04/15 as some other applicants would have accepted/rejected their offers, but this is just hope speaking.

Has anybody else been wait listed in these places? Am I completely wrong with my reading of the situation and should I just assume I was rejected?

I am still waiting for Cornell as well as to officially hear from Michigan State University. Cornell I am assuming I was rejected or forgotten about. MSU I was invited out, given a tour place to stay, met with professors and so on...I emailed and they told me no one has come forward to fund me so it was basically unofficial acceptance to rejection? but I guess someone could still come forward to fund me at this point? Anywho that's what is going on with me. I accepted my admissions offer to University of Minnesota - Twin Cities a couple days ago, mainly cause I wanted to secure my spot and partly because I have no hope left of getting funded any these other schools.

Oh I forgot about University of Wisconsin, I've emailed professors about potentially funding me and the answer has been along the lines of I have absolutely no funding for a new PhD student or no response at all. So there is that...

edit: Oh and if you are wait-listed I would imagine you would hear on or potentially after April 15th, when everyone else finalizes there admissions and rejects their other schools.

Edited by justinmcummings

Today I finally received the notification from Cornell: rejected! Although this was somewhat expected, it is not nice to receive this kind of notification this late. They could have said the same thing long ago, and I wouldn't have been suffering through the whole wait.

Anyway, best of luck to everybody!

Today I finally received the notification from Cornell: rejected! Although this was somewhat expected, it is not nice to receive this kind of notification this late. They could have said the same thing long ago, and I wouldn't have been suffering through the whole wait.

Anyway, best of luck to everybody!

Yup got the same rejection today too, I figured it would be, but they did wait very long

• 3 weeks later...

My application status was changed to: " program admission recommendation submitted to graduate school". what's the meaning of this? It means that the department admitted me but still the graduate school must confirm that! can you say anything about my chance?

Edited by hosseinpour

My application status was changed to: " program admission recommendation submitted to graduate school". what's the meaning of this? It means that the department admitted me but still the graduate school must confirm that! can you say anything about my chance?

I can only share my experience, but for University of Wisconsin I was emailed saying that the department had recommended me to the graduate school and that I should wait to be officially admitted by them. About a day later the graduate school admitted me.

• 2 years later...