Boston MGH IH: what do you know about this program?

What do you know about the MGH slp program? Is it a supportive environment, are faculty helpful....is it extremely demanding or manageable?

Does MGH focus on the reading of numerous journal articles, or is it more focused on textbook reading and lecture?

What do you know about the MGH slp program? Is it a supportive environment, are faculty helpful....is it extremely demanding or manageable?

Does MGH focus on the reading of numerous journal articles, or is it more focused on textbook reading and lecture?

So I just got accepted to MGH and took a tour of the program a few weeks ago. From talking with the graduate students, it's a completely supportive program when it comes to the faculty. It's not a university like other programs, so the faculty aren't busy with undergraduates. They have a lot of time to support and talk with each of the students they supervise. 

Again, from talking with the graduate students, they said it's a demanding graduate program, but its manageable if you are prepared and organized for those high expectations.

I sat in on a group discussion between a supervisor and some of the graduate students and they were using textbooks. But they were also sharing information with each other from current studies. So I'm pretty sure the focus of learning is on current research as well as textbook and lecture. There is definitely collaboration in applying what they are learning to their clinic clients.

And it's a 2 year program. Hope that helps.

I also got admitted last night but was so excited on the phone that i wasn't paying much attention...does anyone know anything about their funding? I think the professor mentioned talking about it at the open house but I'm hoping to hear sooner because without funding i wouldn't even want to tease myself at the open house!

I also got admitted last night but was so excited on the phone that i wasn't paying much attention...does anyone know anything about their funding? I think the professor mentioned talking about it at the open house but I'm hoping to hear sooner because without funding i wouldn't even want to tease myself at the open house!

Haha same here! I don't even remember half the things she said (including her name... oops) because I was just too excited! I'm hoping we'll get a follow up email soon. I did ask about funding though, and she said funding has already been awarded and it sounds like others received their scholarship amounts over the phone so if you weren't told anything you probably didn't get anything :( but she did say financial aid will be discussed at the open house.

And to answer the first poster, when I visited over the summer the faculty were extremely friendly! I met with Dr. Nicholas and she actually knocked on every faculty members door to introduce me. I was quite nervous and put on the spot to meet so many of them, but I thought it was really cool how they were able to take the time to meet and briefly chat with a prospective student. I'm sure they have even more availability for their own students. Also, the program takes 6 semesters.

lisa19, I appreciate your response! I am confused as to what you mean by the "program takes 6 semesters." Is it longer than 2 years with a summer in between?

Congrats to all that have been accepted....what is influencing your decision to attend (or not attend)?

Saying two years can be quite vague, as many programs require one or two summer semesters. I care more about how many semesters I have to pay tuition for rather than length of time.

I believe that all programs I applied to will give me a good education and job placement, so I'm going to weigh out costs, location, and my overall gut feeling when I re-visit the programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted to MGH's program too!! I am very excited about this but was curious about how well rounded graduates really are. I understand that there is more of a focus on the medical side but what about school and private practice? Also, does anyone know what type of clinical placements we get?

Here is a link to their page regarding clinical experiences. For the 3 off-campus placements one is in a school setting, an adult placement, and one we pick based on our interest.

http://www.mghihp.edu/academics/communication-sciences-and-disorders/degree-options/master-of-science-speech-language-pathology/clinical-placement.aspx

I'm curious what you guys think about how MGH's program is more credits than other programs? As of now I'm choosing between NYU and MGH - the cost is about the same so one thing I'm factoring in is if I want more "bang for my buck" and to learn as much as I can or if I want a program with fewer credits which will probably mean less stress and a lighter course load. Does anyone else have a similar situation or any opinion on this?

I am also trying to figure out how difficult MGH will be....At this point I am comparing to Adelphi University which everyone seems to LOVE and students all say that it is challenging but doable. Just trying to get a feel for how "doable" the MGH program will be.

I like the idea of working in an outpatient clinic affiliated with a hospital but do not see myself working with patients at the bedside (I am not interested in surgical or swallowing disorders) so I am also wondering about how medically oriented MGH program will be.

What are your thoughts?

I've gotten the perception that those who are interested in medical will get more opportunities at MGH than other programs, but it's not strictly medical where it would be too much for someone who wants a more broad education. I'm hoping the admitted students event will make that more clear. I'm interested in the ASD concentration, and I believe that includes getting one of my externship sites at a school with children with autism.

I'm worried about all the extra classes I'd have to take, but students have reported that it is challenging but definitely doable, and that time management is key.

I am wanting to get a real feel for the program. Anything and everything that you can share is much appreciated.Particularly interested in how manageable the program is, the intensity of critical analysis of research (I have heard from students at other schools that some programs are research-focused and require students to read and analyze endless articles, which takes up so much time that they are barely left with any time to study or create therapy plans. How supportive is the faculty and what is the student body like - competitive or supportive.

Good luck to my fellow applicants and thank you!

Are you attending the admitted students event? I only think current students and faculty will know about intensity of readings and time management with clinic. They will also be best to answer about whether the environment is supportive or competitive. I know MGH has plenty of research opportunities but I can't say if that exposure takes away from clinic or not. When I visited back in the summer I got a really supportive feel from the faculty.