Fordham v. Columbia

Jjjjjbird

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread because this is also my current struggle. I want to do macro work and I know Columbia is really well known for it's macro but I'd be taking out twice as many loans compared to Fordham. I saw people talking about how Fordham is pricey but wooooo, it looks like a loan cakewalk compared to Columbia  :unsure:

You are going to do fine with either but I would say if Fordham is comperably expensive go columbia. 

I went to Columbia and loved it and now I am about to enter into a PhD there for social work. 

Thank you! My main conflicting factor is that from what I can tell, despite Fordham's different concentrations, it's a largely very clinical program, most students are clinical and they teach it that way, and I am not interested in clinical work. I definitely want to work in admin/policy and perhaps eventually a PhD as well. I know Columbia is strong for that and has lots of connections. The difference for me is about 10k per year so trying to figure out if it might be worth that.

Edited by ssllove

Might not be. you will stress this decision now and be pleased with either. Columbia could put you in a better position because they have one of the strongest administration and management tracks in the country. I was clinical in a macro school and loved the balance. Fordham is fantastic as well but yes very clinical. You will learn that these distinctions can become arbitrary. It is more important if you want to do clinical to do a strong clinical program because you want terminal skills that will make you a good therapist. it is less clear when it comes to administration....

Thank you both so much. After a lot of stressing (probably unnecessarily) and even more dialoguing with some of my professors, current students from both programs, and my therapist (hee), I've decided on Columbia. Still very nervous but also very, very excited. Thanks again!