GVSU interview March 22nd

HEllo,  

I just wanted to get this thread going about the interview for those who will be coming from far away as a way to discuss the trip and if anyone wanted to arrange carpools from certain areas of the country, etc.

I am definitely going if there is no other option and I am coming from southern california( los angeles area).  Anyone else from california thinking of driving/carpooling?

I would like to update everyone.  I emailed Valinda Stokes and she contacted Dr. Beth Macaule who in turn requested for me to email her about a Skype interview.  

Hey Twinguy7.  I'm from Grand Rapids and its actually a pretty cool city! Certainly not like CA but it has a kind of hip, indy vibe.  Talk about your love of Dutch people and you'll be golden (just kidding, don't actually do that).  I actually know a male grad from the program.  Good luck!

Hey Twinguy7.  I'm from Grand Rapids and its actually a pretty cool city! Certainly not like CA but it has a kind of hip, indy vibe.  Talk about your love of Dutch people and you'll be golden (just kidding, don't actually do that).  I actually know a male grad from the program.  Good luck!

HAHA I might need to ask you some more questions then.  thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering how everyones interview went today!?  How was the writing portion?  I took the writing portion on wednesday and I had the Skype interview on thursday!  I thought the writing portion was very interesting and we were able to show our interpersonal communicational skills off through it.  

The interview was very laid back and the questions were straight forward and seemed to be questions that would help them gage how well we would do in their program.  

How was the in-person interview day!?  How many showed up for this that attended???

I feel like my interview went really well :) Dr. Macauley seemed to be really happy with my clinical practicum that I've had for 3 semesters. She also had a cousin that went to my (current) undergrad. The writing prompt got me at first but once I sat and thought for a minute, I think I did just fine! I cannot wait to find out from them what their decision is!

Yea, the only question that had me thinking is the question about the client with ALC who comes in and says " I think I brushed my teeth for the last time". I came back to that one and used my last 20 minutes or so to answer that one.

I basically said I'd tell him that while I am sorry he feels that way, as an SLP I cannot tell him for sure if that is the case and that I would refer him to his doctor that deals with his condition.

Wow...Just found this forum and I'm stressed out from reading all the posts!!!  Can't imagine how my daughter and everyone else is feeling dealing with the waiting game. Twinguy7 and mheroux92, what do you mean by a writing prompt at the interview?  Are you given questions to answer or just one?  Is the question related to speech? How much time do you have? Can you elaborate? Yikes.......I'm sounding like a helicopter parent :o I had no idea how competitive SLP is. Any insight would be helpful.  :) My daughter applied to 5 schools. Looks like many schools have notified their applicants.  So far my daughter has been rejected from 2 programs and we are waiting to hear from 3. Might have to solidify Plan B soon. 

The interview for GVSU included a writing portion which consisted of clinical speech-related prompts (5 of them). Some schools do more personal level and ask why you'd pick that school, or what your biggest weakness is, etc. My interview was approximately 30 minutes. The writing prompt was an hour.