got rejected to all my PhD schools...should i apply for master's?

Eileen Tran

So in theory, i shouldve been accepted to a phd program. I had great lors, 3.5 gpa, 2.5 years of research, good gre scores...but i got rejected to the four to which i applied. Two were after interviews. I thought those went well, but i guess no. t

Looking at masters programs, theyre all "better" schools than the schools i applied to for phd. How much harder will it be to get into a master's program?

Why not apply to a mix or masters programs, some "better" some "worse"?

Honestly, with your credentials, you seem to be in a good place for phd programs now. I am doing a masters and find it really helpful in narrowing down my research interests. It is not a bad way to go at all. Alternatively though, you could work in a lab/research for a year and apply to more schools next year. My guess is that your problem was just too few schools.

I had to go the Masters route also. I was not offered admissions my first go around

To the four schools I applied to either, but one offered me a Masters so I took the chance.

I think the deadlines are usually in April for some programs so start applying now.

It's not as hard to get in to one, it helps you really develop the skills you may be lacking

As a researcher before your phD and you can always reapply for a PhD once you are done,

Now with more experience.

Sounds like too few schools is in fact the problem.  I'd say go for the Master's and try to get into PhD programs again next year!  What were the 4 schools you applied to?  Maybe apply to some slightly "lower" tier schools next year?

I think it depends on what your goals are. If you have your heart set on a PhD (and leads to your desired career), then do research for a year and try again next year. Perhaps you didn't apply to places that were a good fit or you didn't develop any relationships with potential PI's.

Remember masters are typically unfunded, but they do seem easier to get in. If you teach the whole time, it will take you up too 3-3.5 years to finish. 

Best of luck making a decision. 

I applied to vanderbilt, washu, cornell, and mayo. So im thinking maybe too high a tier and too little. I do go to unc-chapel hill so was thinking that i wanted to go higher than that.

The thing about finding a job is i know ill be in a place where research jobs arent really found that would be relevant.

Thank you for your advice everyone!

So in theory, i shouldve been accepted to a phd program. I had great lors, 3.5 gpa, 2.5 years of research, good gre scores...but i got rejected to the four to which i applied. Two were after interviews. I thought those went well, but i guess no. t

Looking at masters programs, theyre all "better" schools than the schools i applied to for phd. How much harder will it be to get into a master's program?

You can also try contacting the schools you interviewed with and ask for some feedback.  Most faculty members (at least in my past experience) have been willing to help and provide some constructive criticism.

Whatever your decision, you should ask the programs that rejected you why they rejected you. Ask what the strengths and weaknesses of your application were. You can focus on your strengths and minimize your weaknesses in the next application season, regardless of Masters or PhD.

Whatever your decision, you should ask the programs that rejected you why they rejected you. Ask what the strengths and weaknesses of your application were. You can focus on your strengths and minimize your weaknesses in the next application season, regardless of Masters or PhD.

I think this is really solid advice. It may well be possible that there is something in your application, maybe in your SOP or a LOR, which is acting as a kiss of death. Another thought is you may need to work on your interview skills and evaluate how you conducted yourself there.

sent out some emails. hopefully they get back soon because one program im considering has an application due next week.

ive spent so much time going over my application and my interview...its so frustrating.

i think application wise and interview wise, i just didnt stand out.

I think the fact that you got some interviews means that you are qualified. Did you have anyone (preferably from your lab) go over your statement of purpose? Did your mentor help you practice for your interviews? I really don't think getting a masters is necessary--especially if it will cause you to go into debt. But if you can get a full ride/your parents are footing the bill then by all means. I personally think that all you need is another year of research and to spend a little more time honing your SOP and interview skills.

I think the fact that you got some interviews means that you are qualified. Did you have anyone (preferably from your lab) go over your statement of purpose? Did your mentor help you practice for your interviews? I really don't think getting a masters is necessary--especially if it will cause you to go into debt. But if you can get a full ride/your parents are footing the bill then by all means. I personally think that all you need is another year of research and to spend a little more time honing your SOP and interview skills.

I completely agree, unless you are fully committed to attending the 4 schools you applied to, doing a masters is not worth your time, money and energy. Especially considering that most PhD programs will make you repeat the coursework regardless of having a masters.

As Obaka mentioned, take this year to really work on your app, write a really good SOP explaining what you have done and why you want a PhD. A PhD is a long commitment, with very little upside, and the SOP is where you can convey that you understand the risks and know what you're getting yourself into (being a year older will help with this too). You should contact the schools where you applied/interviewed and figure out your weaknesses and try to make those better. You seem to have a lot of research experience, but in my mind research > coursework, especially since your GPA is > 3.5. I would maybe find a lab so you can get another/better LOR and possibly get a paper (a paper/great letter can be a game changer).

You should also apply to a lot more schools, not sure where you applied but 4 is a small number regardless. I don't know your situation and if you're geographically limited, but apply to a LOT more schools. Applying to more schools will be an insignificant expense compared to the cost of a masters degree.

So I talked to some of the directors, and they thought I would make a great graduate student but I was rejected because they thought I wasn't very enthusiastic about my research and/or the program. The director said I just seemed shy, so maybe that didn't come out so well to the other people who met me briefly. So it seems that they thought my entire paper application was great and that I would be a good student, just not at their respective programs due to lack of interest in them.

So it seems like a pretty easy thing to improve...

(At Mayo I fell asleep during the lunch lecture they gave...so I think that killed my chances. I did not realize how exhausting traveling and interviews were going to be. Tried so hard to stay awake too.)

My mentor is actually on sabatical right now, so I didn't have that much time to get some insight for the entire application process before he left. I had a few people look at my SOP, and I also felt that it was pretty solid. I honestly don't know what I'd do to improve that unless the ones that didn't offer me interviews reply.

I was also reassured by those that wrote my LOR that they wrote really great ones for me.

I've worked in the same lab since my sophomore year, so I thought that was pretty solid research experience. I've also done a SURF. Both were in x-ray crystallography for proteins which means papers don't come out that often. Especially since my research is purely structure right now. The director at one said my research was too narrow? Which confuses me since I would expect that for someone that had been in one lab for awhile.

What I was thinking was applying to masters where I would be interested in continuing to the Ph.D and trying to find some programs that have aid and/or scholarships.

Edited by Eileen Tran

• 2 weeks later...

I almost failed all my PhD applications and the only one still alive is on the waiting list.....I applied to some M.S. anyway and received one admission. This one really make me a little relieved anyway. I think there are some M.S. program whose deadlines are in April or even May. There is still enough time to apply to.

Especially since my research is purely structure right now. The director at one said my research was too narrow? Which confuses me since I would expect that for someone that had been in one lab for awhile.

Was it because your research was solely focused on structural biology, which could lose sight on the biological question itself? Maybe he/she is looking at someone who do not only structural biology, but also biochemistry/biophysics of the same molecules? My experience with those type of scientists (this director) is that they want students to look for the big picture and focus on a biological question rather than a technique, which can be replaced by the development of technology.

Been there, done that. I feel you girl. But don't give up -- see my signature.

Edited by aberrant