Making Contact with a Professor

Porshyen

Okay, so I have been admitted to a Master's program and there is a professor with similar research interests as me, although they do not line up exactly. I have not accepted this offer of admission since I am still waiting to hear back on funding, but I wanted to make contact with this professor to introduce myself and my research interest. Do you think it is appropriate that I should do this at this stage, or not? If so, how do you think I could go about phrasing it? I have been thinking this over for a week to no avail and kindly ask for advice.

Also, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question, so I apologize if this doesn't quite fit this section.

Edited by Porshyen

YES! send the email! even if you don't accept there you have (potentially) made a valuable contact! 

A simple email stating that you are considering attending that school, asking what classes they will be teaching in the upcoming year, and that you are familiar with their research and find that it overlaps with yours (then give a brief idea of what yours is and that you would greatly appreciate their expert opinion on the merit of your research question) will suffice. (note: not in that order of course)

At the best you will attract their attention and they will be interested in supervising you, or know of someone who will be well suited to do so. It's possible they may just shoot you back an email saying yeah that sounds good and it goes nowhere, in which case if you need to contact them in the future for your research you have already established a connection which is extremely beneficial. At the worst they just won't respond and will forget about your email, in which case no harm done. YOU CAN'T LOSE! 

I'm surprised that you were admitted without a supervisor already having expressed an interest in your research proposal. You should contact your professor immediately. 

Thank you for the advice!

A professor (not the same one I am asking about) from the program did make contact with me after I received admittance into the program saying how they thought my research interests and background would be a great fit for their program. But no, I have not been a "supervisor" of which I am aware. I know that often when applying to a PhD program, you make contact with potential supervisors and that if admitted, often work closely with one or several professors. I thought Master's programs were a little bit more loosely defined in terms with whom you work?