Vanderbilt???

Hey everybody! I'm a long-time lurker startled out of hiding from an acceptance email from Vanderbilt last night. Am still totally in shock about it.

I was just curious if anyone had any information/thoughts on Vanderbilt's prestige as a MS-SLP program and in the research field. I've obviously heard amazing things about Vanderbilt's prowess, but does that translate to a program that really produces a different kind of SLP than another? Has anyone visited and gotten a vibe about the program? 

I'm also in at MGH, which gave me a 50% scholarship, and Emerson, which hasn't nailed down their scholarship info quite yet. Vandy said aid info would be arriving on the 17th.

My stats, for anyone interested, are as follows: GPA 3.73, GRE V166 M158 W5.5. Out of field, but undergrad at a great college with lots of leadership/work experience.

Woah congrats!!!

I was expecting snail mail from Vanderbilt as that seemed to be the primary communication last year. I've heard Vandy has a lot of funding to give, which will probably sway my decision should I get in.

Prestige wise, I've heard it is a fantastic program (ranked top 5 in the US!) but I have no cold hard facts to offer.

Hey everybody! I'm a long-time lurker startled out of hiding from an acceptance email from Vanderbilt last night. Am still totally in shock about it.

I was just curious if anyone had any information/thoughts on Vanderbilt's prestige as a MS-SLP program and in the research field. I've obviously heard amazing things about Vanderbilt's prowess, but does that translate to a program that really produces a different kind of SLP than another? Has anyone visited and gotten a vibe about the program? 

I'm also in at MGH, which gave me a 50% scholarship, and Emerson, which hasn't nailed down their scholarship info quite yet. Vandy said aid info would be arriving on the 17th.

My stats, for anyone interested, are as follows: GPA 3.73, GRE V166 M158 W5.5. Out of field, but undergrad at a great college with lots of leadership/work experience.

I was startled by it too!!!  Never thought I would get in.  I was also accepted to MGH! (but no scholarship for me :().  BU gave me an assistantship, which might help a little but it's such an expensive school it might add up to the same as MGH without a scholarship.  I always assumed I would go to a Boston school but with this Vandy news I might have to reconsider that.  I know that it is a really solid program but to be completely honest I haven't done too much research on the program outside of asking people for their personal opinions on it.  I feel like the best bet would be to actually visit the place and see it for yourself.   On the email they gave some dates for when we can visit: March 14, 24, 28, 31st and April 4th, 7th, 14th.  I see that you're from Boston too...road trip???

Just found this review of the program!! Also accepted and planning to attend in the fall :)

"The Communication Sciences and Disorders program at Vanderbilt School of Medicine is top-notch. In particular, the quality of the clinic placements available to students are exceptional. You are paired with clinicians throughout the semester with whom you work one-on-one. The Bill Wilkerson Center preeminent and is not a "student clinic," so you get real-life experience. Other placement opportunities include Pi Beta Phi Rehab, Stallworth, Tennessee Rehabilitation Center, the VA, the Susan Gray School, Mama Lere, NCCD, the Vanderbilt Voice Center, the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, and VUMC acute care. The SLP program is definitely skewed toward medical SLP, compared to many other programs. It's expensive, but they offer a lot of financial aid, and it's a top-ranked program. There are phenomenal research opportunities available to professional students interested in research careers."

Edited by oliviamichele

oliviamichele-- thanks for the link! Exactly what I'm looking for. I wish there was a site just for students to review/talk about their graduate school experience... Would be so helpful.

I wonder how much program ranking/prestige matters. I've heard it's relatively important if you're considering a PhD track (which I'm considering), but does it matter in a job search? I'm in such a bind-- got into MGH in Boston and LOVE it here, but also don't know if I could turn down the opportunity to attend a top 5 school. Trying to figure out if the program will justify the move...

I wonder how much program ranking/prestige matters. I've heard it's relatively important if you're considering a PhD track (which I'm considering), but does it matter in a job search? 

No.

Only worry about what school if you're planning on doing medSLP, then try to pick a school that has a medical focus.

I've also heard that it's relatively important where you go if you're considering a PhD. I am planning on going that route and it is one of the reasons I chose Vandy...they also appear to have a fantastic medSLP program, althought it isn't really advertised.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh I was completely set on UTD and now I am having second thoughts.  I haven't officially accepted or declined though I thought my mind was set on UTD.  Vandy is offering me 65% tuition which is more than UTD is offering but I am not so much interested in medical SLP. I want to work in a clinic or school system with kids with autism or developmental disorders, and UTD has quite a few autism specific practicums. AHHHHH.  UTD is ranked really well too for SLP, but Vandy is more regarded overall as a university.  But I do not want to choose my school based on prestige alone... Anyone else having a hard time deciding?? I so wish I could talk to more current/ admitted students!

• 2 weeks later...

I was startled by it too!!!  Never thought I would get in.  I was also accepted to MGH! (but no scholarship for me :().  BU gave me an assistantship, which might help a little but it's such an expensive school it might add up to the same as MGH without a scholarship.  I always assumed I would go to a Boston school but with this Vandy news I might have to reconsider that.  I know that it is a really solid program but to be completely honest I haven't done too much research on the program outside of asking people for their personal opinions on it.  I feel like the best bet would be to actually visit the place and see it for yourself.   On the email they gave some dates for when we can visit: March 14, 24, 28, 31st and April 4th, 7th, 14th.  I see that you're from Boston too...road trip???

@ladyinwaiting23 I'm just curious what your GPA and experience was like? You got accepted into all the schools I plan to apply to next year, so I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks!

@ladyinwaiting23 I'm just curious what your GPA and experience was like? You got accepted into all the schools I plan to apply to next year, so I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks!

Sure!  I had my stats up previously so I might as well share. I have a BA in Psychology with prerequisite courses from USU.  Overall GPA: 4.99, GRE V: 167 Q154 W: 4.5, lots of pediatric research experience.

Also, has anyone else made a decision yet? I chose Vanderbilt officially this week!!!  I know @artsyrunnergirl did (congrats, by the way!  UT Dallas sounds like it's where you wanted to be and I'm happy for you :))

@ladyinwaiting23 CONGRATS! I am so excited for you! Vanderbilt is an AMAZING program, and this is literally the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life!! I talked to 4 students there and they all LOVE it.  There are seriously no negatives to it, and I know you are going to have a blast their and get an AMAZING clinical education. And thank you, I'm happy too.  I know both choices were great, and I am looking forward to starting during summer term.

Best of luck to everyone making decisions!