Please help to make a decision!

sunbabygirl

I have two choices - school A offered me a 13,000 TA stipend and a tuition assistance (I will still have to pay about 1,200 a year), while school B offered me a comprehensive 5 year package with the 21,000 fellowship for the first and the fifth years and guaranteed TAships for other three years. School B is located in CA (more expensive), school A is in a less expensive state. I visited school A and loved it! I didn't visit school B but it seems nice from a distance. The research fit is a little better at school A. What would you choose? Thank you for your help!!

I think you should have visited both universities, otherwise it is extremely difficult to get a clear idea about the situation in the one you were unable to visit. I know you had your reasons for being unable to visit, but what if you arrive to the place and realize that it looked nice on the internet, but you hate it now that you are "stuck" there? I guess whatever happens, make your decision and do not look back! Good Luck!

Yep, you should've visited School B, that would be the main dealbreaker probably.

Find out just how much better the cost-of-living is with the stipend at School A (if its just slightly less expensive then 13K may not be a great deal). But if you are leaning towards A, and the stipend is reasonable for you, than go with A.

if money is an important factor for you than if the cost of living are not 10,000/year more expensive in school B than you should go there. first, i think grad students should not pay for their tuition (the university is going to benefit from you being there, and it is their purpose to train talented future researchers). in addition, money can make a lot of difference for your academic success- to be always occupied by "how am i going to pay for rent/bills/etc." will guarantee damage your academic performance, creativity and productivity.

that said, if it is doable for you to pay for tuition and living expenses beyond what school A offers (i.e. money is a huge factor) then go to the school you like best ( which sounds like A)

That's a reasonable stipend to live on just about anywhere in CA, except MAYBE UCSB, but even then, if you're just willing to commute a little, it's not bad. 13,000 is difficult to live on just about everywhere, and the additional 1,200 (I suspect this is in "fees", not tuition; UMass pulls that crap) will be an additional strain or require loans. But both are doable. Personally, I would go with school B--no teaching requirement for first and last year will be helpful as you get settled/write you dissertation, and the fact that you refer to the other school as an inexpensive state school makes me feel like School B is more prestigious, and thus might have better placement.

I'd like to thank everyone for his/her help! It is so important to get a fresh perspective on a situation, especially when it's hard to step out of it and see it clearly. I decided to go ahead and visit school B. Even though it is going to be right before they are expecting my answer, I think it will be beneficial to get a better picture of what is awaiting for me there apart from a great stipend. I'll keep you posted, guys! And, of course, I welcome any further pieces of advice or suggestions.

I have made my decision!!! I am going to school B without a visit. I have talked to their professors and some other people in the field. They all said it was the best choice. I am so happy and excited, life is great! Good luck to everyone - I wish you all the luck to get the funding and the place where you want to be. Again, thanks for everyone's help. This site is the best source of info I have had during these long and painful months of waiting.

I have made my decision!!! I am going to school B without a visit. I have talked to their professors and some other people in the field. They all said it was the best choice. I am so happy and excited, life is great!

Congratulations! Honestly, visiting isn't all it is cracked up to be. I'm at a PhD program in a place I never visited and I do enjoy it. Good luck!