Quitting MA program

Hi all,

I'm adding to the trend that seems to flourish on this forum, that is, a new topic re: quitting grad school. I'd like to have your thoughts on the following issue.

I'm in the second year of a MA program, currently a visiting student at well-ranked university where I'm supposed to conduct research for my thesis. My degree will be awarded by home university though. I'm in a good situation financially which allows me to devote most of my time to my studies and nothing else. However, I'm miserable. I won't go into details but what's bothering me is that I don't like my department, I don't like the culture of the campus, and I don't like my topic of research anymore. I've outgrown it to the point that cannot even open a book about it right now. I do not want to write my thesis about it anymore. I've tried to focus and force myself to finish it but I can't. I've been procrastinating for weeks. I get no help from the relevant people here because they are too busy and 'I'm just visiting'. 

My supervisor at my home university doesn't help either. I would make an effort to keep writing if I was still motivated by my topic but I'm not.

The only idea that is giving me relief is the possibility to quit, even if there's only 3 months left before graduation. In the midst of all this, I have found a new area of research that I want to pursue in a new MA. Something completely different. Something that finally makes sense to me, when the previous topic was way too theoretical and abstract and was leading me nowhere. I have changed as a person, so do my interests.

I want to quit now as I feel more drained than anything else. It has been like this for months. I'm anxious most of the time because I'm getting financial help for something that I do not want to do anymore.

Edited by prospectiveanthro

Hmm, this is a tricky situation. When you say you don't like your department or campus culture, do you mean your home program, the one you're at now, or both? Either way, it sounds like you're in a really tough spot, so I do hope you find your second wind, wherever it takes you. Personally, I would press through the final months, but I'm so stubborn I make mules seem easygoing. In your situation, however, it sounds like the chance to start over in a new place with a new thesis topic that you're more passionate about could really be the boost you need, if you're still set on completing an MA. Have you looked into other programs, especially in terms of transferring credits? It would be a shame (& possibly a pain in the rump) to have to start from square one on coursework.

Is there any way that you could change your thesis topic in a way that would make you feel better about it, and still finish your program?

I completely understand you wanting to quit/change, but you're so close to finishing! 

Good luck!!!

They say the way you know that you're ready to defend your thesis and graduate and that you're so sick of your topic that you can't look at it anymore. Everybody goes through a stage of hating their thesis, that's normal. It's unfortunate that you are not enjoying the department's culture, but I think that's beside the point here. I think it may be worth noting that whatever you work on, and however much you are excited about it now, at some point when you're in the trenches writing your thesis you will not enjoy it anymore. Now, it's entirely possible that your interests have legitimately changed and if you had it to do over you'd choose a completely different topic, but since you are just three months away from graduation I think this really needs to be a place where you suck it up and push through. You've worked hard and you're so close, I understand that it's really hard (trust me, I went through something similar with my dissertation) -- but there is really no other serious option here except to finish what you started. If you are interested in continuing on to do a PhD, you could start studying your new interest then. If you are not continuing in academia, you may need to just let go of that topic. Either way, I think it makes no sense to throw away everything you've already done and start over. Seriously, I know this may not be a popular opinion or what you want to hear, but if there is ever a time to just push through the crap, this is it.  

Agreed with those who say you should grin and bear it. You're so close!

Also if you do decide to go for a second MA or continue on for a PhD, I think you'd really be shooting yourself.in the foot by quitting now, as I imagine it would raise a huge red flag in admissions.

Plan yourself a really nice, relaxing holiday immediately following your graduation date. Then get back to the computer and force that damn thesis out of you. 

I think the appropriate phrase in your case is: "If you're going through Hell...keep going." The sooner you write and defend your thesis, the sooner you can leave this crappy Department and campus behind. After you defend your thesis you don't need to waste a minute of time thinking about that awful topic ever again...but that is only after you defend. 

Remember that the thesis doesn't have to be perfect: type a load of gibberish just to get the words onto the paper, then edit it into a passable form. Tell your advisor that you will have a draft of your thesis ready for inspection by Date X, and need it reviewed by Date Y. Then honour that deadline you set yourself and use it to get the draft done. 

I hadn't responded earlier because everyone else had said wonderful things. Then I read this again and remembered the phrase: short-timer's disease. It gets to all of us. Hang in there! Word around the platoon was always to stay focused on the now, and only on the necessary planning and actions required until separation, incorporating after-separation plans that required immediate action (job-hunting, getting records in order, networking, and so on) while ignoring the time until it was over and the I'm-FREEEEE! party.

Though, I did always find the combat boots hanging from wires around the company area from their tied together laces rather myopic even if I totally get the sentiment. They're really useful for things like shoveling snow.

• 3 months later...

I graduated with honors!

I'm so glad to leave it all behind now; and again, thanks for your comments!

Congratulations, and thank you for coming back to let us know! It's always great to hear when there's a happy ending. :)