SDSU Acceptances

Declined, Waitlisted, ... Acceptances? :)  I have a friend who was waitlisted and accepted at other Universities wondering when admitted students have to accept or decline the offer. Any input will be helpful!

Edited by NCAR823

I was waitlisted at SDSU as well and am in the same boat as your friend! I have to accept my other offer by April 15th...is there a chance I can get off the waitlist by then?

That's the same question she's visiting. SDSU is her 1st choice.... is it worth taking the risk of declining an acceptance to find out whether the waitlist is moving? ... tricky, tricky

I was unofficially accepted to SDSU yesterday afternoon--it was a reach for me so I'm really happy I got in.   They gave us a deadline of April 15th as well.  It stinks because everyone has the same deadline and I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools that I'm interested in...I wish they gave us more time between acceptances and the deadline.

@katej SDSU is pretty fast with their waitlists. I think last year everyone knew they were getting off the waitlist the first week in April. I can't remember the specifics but it went pretty fast. One option, while I don't 100% recommend, is accept one school with the off chance that you won't get accepted off the waitlist. I would do it if there was one school that I truly wanted to go to and I'm not the only one:

Another option, contact the schools and see what they recommend. There is no harm in asking because most programs appreciate the communication. 

@ladyinwaiting How were you unofficially accepted? 

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie

@katej SDSU is pretty fast with their waitlists. I think last year everyone knew they were getting off the waitlist the first week in April. I can't remember the specifics but it went pretty fast. One option, while I don't 100% recommend, is accept one school with the off chance that you won't get accepted off the waitlist. Or contact the schools and see what they recommend. There is no harm in asking because most programs appreciate the communication. 

@ladyinwaiting How were you unofficially accepted? 

Oh wow that is fast.  Do you have any information regarding why it's such a fast waitlist?  Because most students accept right away or because there are a lot of refusals?

I received a mass email saying I was accepted but it clearly was not addressed to just me.  Also, the email said "Formal notification of your acceptance by the Graduate Dean should be forthcoming pending receipt and verification of any required official documents" so I assumed this meant that they are also mailing me an official letter (or email)?  Also, there is portal for financial aid for admitted students that does not yet have my information.  So, anyway I think my acceptance is in process but I'm definitely in (at least I hope I am haha).

Congratulations on the acceptances! I, too, was just admitted to SDSU and am drafting an email to the department to ask about a few details of the program. I'm having trouble locating a total cost for the 2 year program, including mandatory summer session. Anyone find anything about this?

Congratulations on the acceptances! I, too, was just admitted to SDSU and am drafting an email to the department to ask about a few details of the program. I'm having trouble locating a total cost for the 2 year program, including mandatory summer session. Anyone find anything about this?

Hi @SoonToBeSLP congrats on the acceptance!!!  I received a call from Ignatius Nip today and he was super nice, he talked to me all about the program and answered my questions.  I highly recommend you contact him if you need details about the program.  Otherwise he might just call you anyway. 

Also, I was wondering about that myself and I found this page on the website: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/costs.html .  It looks like 20,440 for Cal residents (...not sure if that's per year or per semester?  Looks like per year. But I don't know for sure as many of the Boston schools have a semester rates like that).  I'm not sure what the deal is for the summer session is.  Sorry that I'm not much of a help--basically I'm confused as well.  But if you talk to Ignatius or email the department could you let me know?

Ladyinwaiting, graduate tuition is $8,000 for the entire year. (!!!!) The extra $12,000 is supposed to be for living costs. I know this because I am a California resident :) Congrats!!! Great school AND completely reasonable tuition

Ladyinwaiting, graduate tuition is $8,000 for the entire year. (!!!!) The extra $12,000 is supposed to be for living costs. I know this because I am a California resident :) Congrats!!! Great school AND completely reasonable tuition

Yay!!!!! I was so hoping that was the case. This is coming from looking at BU's tuition and cringing  ($44,000).  Jokes :o

I regret not applying to SDSU!!! I reeeallyyy want to go to BU, but I felt like I was getting heart palpitations when I calculated the amount of loans I'd have to take out. </3  :unsure:

Hi @SoonToBeSLP congrats on the acceptance!!!  I received a call from Ignatius Nip today and he was super nice, he talked to me all about the program and answered my questions.  I highly recommend you contact him if you need details about the program.  Otherwise he might just call you anyway. 

Also, I was wondering about that myself and I found this page on the website: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/costs.html .  It looks like 20,440 for Cal residents (...not sure if that's per year or per semester?  Looks like per year. But I don't know for sure as many of the Boston schools have a semester rates like that).  I'm not sure what the deal is for the summer session is.  Sorry that I'm not much of a help--basically I'm confused as well.  But if you talk to Ignatius or email the department could you let me know?

ladyinwaiting--congrats to you, too!!  I wasn't able to take the call, but from the voicemail, Dr. Nip seems very nice and helpful. I'm definitely reaching out to him with some of my questions, and I'll be sure to post any answers here. 

I have a feeling that I'll be visiting gradcafe quite a bit in upcoming months, figuring out school and housing and whatnot. Always better to feel confused in good company =)

Edited by SoonToBeSLP_was_taken

I heard back from Dr. Nip, and he confirmed that tuition is, indeed, $8032 for the whole year. Still no word on the cost for the summer session, though I can't imagine it would cost more than a semester of tuition. So I'm estimating something like $20,000 for the 2-year program. 

Has anyone visited the campus? I've heard there's a lot of crime/ not really a safe area. But then again that's what I've heard. Can anyone confirm?

Hi! I go to SDSU and I've never felt unsafe. Yes, there's some crime, but most of it occurs with people that are walking alone late at night (past midnight). I actually find the campus to be a very safe environment, and extremely pleasant. 

If anything, I'd just say that the area around campus is a bit boring and packed with undergrads. I live in Normal Heights and absolutely love it. I'd highly recommend living in Normal Heights, Kensington and North Park.

The SLHS department is absolutely fantastic, the Professors and students are all extremely competent and friendly. 

Edited by beccamayworth

Congratulations speechie123! I'm super excited too, and keep checking Facebook to see if anyone's created a group, but to no avail. I'd do it, but I'm sort of new-ish to facebook and so figured I'd leave it to the experts =).

Regarding crime, I did see SDSU listed on Business Insider as 7th most dangerous campus in the US. But...I did undergrad at what's supposedly the #1 most dangerous and never felt unsafe there either. I think a lot of the rankings have to do with whether or not campus police patrol the neighborhoods off-campus and report those crimes as part of their stats. 

Any suggestions on nearby neighborhoods that are safe and good for grad students? I'll be moving down from Orange County and looking for an apartment + roommates to share it with. 

I just looked back at my application, and San Diego asks for overall GPA, major GPA, and last 60 unit GPA. So they definitely pay special attention to your upper div and ComDis coursework, though I don't know how exactly they weight each of these, if at all. Hope this helps a bit =)

Hey guys, I got in as well but I noticed some people talking about how tuition was $8,000 but after looking online it looks like another $6,696 is added on for out of state fees. I just wanted to let people know who are out of staters.