Would my Phonology course credit count towards a Phonetic requirement?

My school doesn't offer phonetics, just a phonology course.

Phonology and phonetics are two different courses.  So no school would accept one over the either.  You need both however, it seems like phonology is not really one of the prerequisites for most schools.  Phonetics is.

My school doesn't offer phonetics, just a phonology course.

Phonology and phonetics are two different courses.  So no school would accept one over the either.  You need both however, it seems like phonology is not really one of the prerequisites for most schools.  Phonetics is.

I agree here. As a linguistics major, I know very well how different phonology and phonetics actually are. Schools will not consider them to be interchangeable, and the material taught in phonology does not seem like it would pertain to speech.

Your grad program might count it, depending on how strict they are and the content of the phonology course.  My adviser looked over the syllabus for my Phonological Theory class and said it counted toward the Phonetics requirement, since we spent a fair amount of time on phonetics at the beginning (my undergrad linguistics program didn't have a separate phonetics course either). They really just wanted evidence that I was familiar with IPA. For what it's worth, I haven't struggled with any grad courses that required phonetics as a prerequisite. 

Your grad program might count it, depending on how strict they are and the content of the phonology course.  My adviser looked over the syllabus for my Phonological Theory class and said it counted toward the Phonetics requirement, since we spent a fair amount of time on phonetics at the beginning (my undergrad linguistics program didn't have a separate phonetics course either). They really just wanted evidence that I was familiar with IPA. For what it's worth, I haven't struggled with any grad courses that required phonetics as a prerequisite. 

This is actually a bit shocking to me. I have actually heard of speech path graduate programs not counting Linguistics phonetics towards their phonetics requirement due to lack of clinical relevance. But, that's great if some schools are more lax with it!

I guess your best bet (person who started the thread) would just be to have the course's syllabus handy and call the graduate department to ask if it would count!

Edited by jesstrom

I used my phonology course (part of my linguistics major) to count towards the phonetics requirement for grad school. My advisor didn't want to let me count it, but I argued my way in and ended up better prepared for our speech sound disorders class than most of my classmates. If you have a solid understanding of IPA, contact the department chairs and at least try to get your phono course to count - save yourself a class! good luck!