NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

I would also say GRE is counted as pretty important if not as important. I have a pretty good GPA and lower GREs, and from what I have seen from people posting their stats of acceptances they have a lower GPA than me, but better GREs. I wish schools would just briefly mention what they don't like, for example GRE scores so I would know what to work on. I was hoping my GPA, internships, and volunteering would help me, but that hasn't been the case so far.

I hear ya. Ive noticed that the really high GRE scores cancel out GPA factor. But if you have a good GPA and lower gre i think you have 100% chance. I am hoping my internship and experience helps but it seems everyone has that too! My GPA is mainly composed of core classes because I transferred, so I hope they see that too.

To the Canadian academics, I don't think all US students have amazing GPAs. It does seem like that when you look at SLP stats though. I came from Rutgers and we didnt get 10% for showing up for class or even projects or papers sometimes. We had exams and no fluff! It's not that easy to get a 4.0 here.

Edited by Stephanie2323

I hear ya. Ive noticed that the really high GRE scores cancel out GPA factor. But if you have a good GPA and lower gre i think you have 100% chance. I am hoping my internship and experience helps but it seems everyone has that too! My GPA is mainly composed of core classes because I transferred, so I hope they see that too.

To the Canadian academics, I don't think all US students have amazing GPAs. It does seem like that when you look at SLP stats though. I came from Rutgers and we didnt get 10% for showing up for class or even projects or papers sometimes. We had exams and no fluff! It's not that easy to get a 4.0 here.

Yeah, it is the same for Canadians too.  We have exams, test, quizes etc.  It depends on the course sometimes you will have projects,but they are still not easy and if a class give 10% it is not for showing up to class it is for participation in labs, seminars etc.  Therefore if you are a person who is shy and does not participate in class, you will not get that grade.  That is to compensate for our hard exams, test etc.  I see it is more of an incentive lol.

It definitely depends on the school what they look at. I went to Appalachian for my undergrad, and they specifically tell you that they basically make a spreadsheet of GPA's and GRE scores and the highest ones get in. If there is a close call between two, then they will look further at the Resume, LOI, etc. But their main standard is GRE and GPA, so if you are lacking in one of those, it will be harder to get in. Other schools though will specifically tell you they look at those two factors, but look at everything as a package - which is important I think. 

Am I taking a bad risk by following up on my application?

I wouldn't do it. I cracked last night and emailed one of my schools that I hadn't heard from and got a generic response that my application was received and still under review. Remember that they don't share our anxiety!

It definitely depends on the school what they look at. I went to Appalachian for my undergrad, and they specifically tell you that they basically make a spreadsheet of GPA's and GRE scores and the highest ones get in. If there is a close call between two, then they will look further at the Resume, LOI, etc. But their main standard is GRE and GPA, so if you are lacking in one of those, it will be harder to get in. Other schools though will specifically tell you they look at those two factors, but look at everything as a package - which is important I think. 

I saw you said you go to Appalachain State.  I'm not sure if you went or still go, but I was wondering if you knew when they would be sending out letters?  They seem to be behind compared to last year

I saw you said you go to Appalachain State.  I'm not sure if you went or still go, but I was wondering if you knew when they would be sending out letters?  They seem to be behind compared to last year

Yeah, I am not sure when they will be sending out letters. One of the professors told me that ASHA has instructed them to wait until later to send out letters until it was closer to April, so i'm assuming that has something to do with it. Are you planning to go there if you get accepted?? 

Yeah, I am not sure when they will be sending out letters. One of the professors told me that ASHA has instructed them to wait until later to send out letters until it was closer to April, so i'm assuming that has something to do with it. Are you planning to go there if you get accepted??

sorry the last post was sent from my phone and idk what happened haha. but yes I am planning on going there if (crossing my fingers) I get accepted.  did you apply there? did you like the program?

I saw you said you go to Appalachain State. I'm not sure if you went or still go, but I was wondering if you knew when they would be sending out letters? They seem to be behind compared to last year

I'm waiting to hear from app state too! So nerve racking.

Have you visited the school? I applied there on a whim and wanted to get insight about the area.

Edited by speechiejen

Have you visited the school? I applied there on a whim and wanted to get insight about the area.

No I haven't applied!  I've looked up pictures and yotube videos and it looks really nice haha.  sorry I'm not very helpful!

No I haven't applied! I've looked up pictures and yotube videos and it looks really nice haha. sorry I'm not very helpful!

Oh it's ok!

I don't really know much about the program but maybe if I get accepted I'll go check it out. Haha

Oh it's ok!

I don't really know much about the program but maybe if I get accepted I'll go check it out. Haha

I meant haven't visited, I must be out of it today, not sure why I said I didn't apply.  Yeah same with me.  I was hoping to hear soon, but it doesn't seem like that's the case

I think that is weird about the ASHA thing, bc I just got my first acceptance to SC (distance-ed) yesterday, and I have to have my response to them by March 31! If I don't hear from any other school until then, I have to accept to be on the safe side!

sorry the last post was sent from my phone and idk what happened haha. but yes I am planning on going there if (crossing my fingers) I get accepted.  did you apply there? did you like the program?

I think that is weird about the ASHA thing, bc I just got my first acceptance to SC (distance-ed) yesterday, and I have to have my response to them by March 31! If I don't hear from any other school until then, I have to accept to be on the safe side!

Appalachian State has a beautiful campus and it's a really beautiful place to live. It definitely is small, the area - "downtown" consists of one street - King Street. It's very similar to Asheville, if you've been there, only smaller. A very laid back area, everyone is very friendly and nice, lots of snowboarding, hiking, etc. So for that part, it's incredible!

I did my undergrad in Comm. Disorders there and liked parts of it, and disliked other parts. I don't feel like the program is nearly as great as people believe it to be. They have lost quite a large number of professors who I thought were incredible. Dr. Heather Clark has left and gone to Mayo Clinic - and she was absolutely brillant, their old department head left, and some others.

Some of the professors there are "easy" in terms of classes and assignments, but not helpful at all. One in particular sits in her chair and reads from a powerpoint the entire class, and that's all she does, isn't a very helpful advisor and I heard the same complaints about her from the graduate students as well. Not very interactive. Others however are great. Dr. Louise Keegan is incredible, and is extremely smart! I loved her! Dawn Botts is very nice too, and a great professor. She's an interactive teacher and is really fun to be around. So is Morehouse, the Audiology professor. He's hilarious. That being said though, I graduated in 2012 and I believe they have gotten some new faculty members that I haven't had - and it may have changed. I just felt parts of their program was somewhat disorganized. 

Another downside I can think of is not having many placement opportunities, or some of them being very far. The hospital is very small. Their clinic is great though, and I volunteered with Sherry Street, one of the clinical directors and she is wonderful. The SLP's in the hospital are nice, and really excited about their jobs. There are ups and downs, and if I got in there and somewhere else, I think I would go somewhere else, but only because of some of the teaching styles of the professors and I want to live in a different area and have more opportunities for practicum experiences. 

If you love the mountains though, App is a BEAUTIFUL place. 

Appalachian State has a beautiful campus and it's a really beautiful place to live. It definitely is small, the area - "downtown" consists of one street - King Street. It's very similar to Asheville, if you've been there, only smaller. A very laid back area, everyone is very friendly and nice, lots of snowboarding, hiking, etc. So for that part, it's incredible!

I did my undergrad in Comm. Disorders there and liked parts of it, and disliked other parts. I don't feel like the program is nearly as great as people believe it to be. They have lost quite a large number of professors who I thought were incredible. Dr. Heather Clark has left and gone to Mayo Clinic - and she was absolutely brillant, their old department head left, and some others.

Some of the professors there are "easy" in terms of classes and assignments, but not helpful at all. One in particular sits in her chair and reads from a powerpoint the entire class, and that's all she does, isn't a very helpful advisor and I heard the same complaints about her from the graduate students as well. Not very interactive. Others however are great. Dr. Louise Keegan is incredible, and is extremely smart! I loved her! Dawn Botts is very nice too, and a great professor. She's an interactive teacher and is really fun to be around. So is Morehouse, the Audiology professor. He's hilarious. That being said though, I graduated in 2012 and I believe they have gotten some new faculty members that I haven't had - and it may have changed. I just felt parts of their program was somewhat disorganized.

Another downside I can think of is not having many placement opportunities, or some of them being very far. The hospital is very small. Their clinic is great though, and I volunteered with Sherry Street, one of the clinical directors and she is wonderful. The SLP's in the hospital are nice, and really excited about their jobs. There are ups and downs, and if I got in there and somewhere else, I think I would go somewhere else, but only because of some of the teaching styles of the professors and I want to live in a different area and have more opportunities for practicum experiences.

If you love the mountains though, App is a BEAUTIFUL place.

Thank you so much for posting this! It was really helpful.

@twinguy7 I'm doing both the writing AND interview tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous but at the same time I just have to be myself and hope it's enough. I also have 5 schools I haven't heard from sooo.

But is it me, or does this week feel like it's taking forever already?

I have applied to 9 schools.  

5 of them have been sending out results since the end of Feb.  I have an interview scheduled for 2 out of the 5.  However, I haven't heard a word from the other 3 - which include my top choices.  I am not sure if I should call and follow up or not?  

The other 4 have not yet started sending out results.

Just like pretty much everyone here I am super anxious, continuously refreshing my email and checking websites, and checking my mailbox! 

No, I completely agree! :( This is draaaaagggginnngg onnnn. Ps good luck on your interview!

Edited by DeafAudi

@twinguy7 I'm doing both the writing AND interview tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous but at the same time I just have to be myself and hope it's enough. I also have 5 schools I haven't heard from sooo.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

And I agree. Today was dreadfully slow  :wacko: