Reviewing old material before starting grad school

Hey everyone,

I figured I might as well start my reviewing now, to distract myself from this waiting game. For those of you who are still undergrads, it might not be as big of a project. For people who've taken some time off, though - what's your plan of action for reviewing? The programs I've applied to throw you into therapy sessions from day 1, so I'm sure we're expected to know everything from undergrad really well.

I've pulled out my notes every few months since I graduated, but now I think it's time to go back and re-read certain chapters, make flash cards again and get my transcription skills back up to par! There's one textbook that I sold back that I might need to buy again, but I've found it for super cheap on Amazon.

What are you all planning, if you even think you'll have to review? :) If you don't think you'll need to review... get out of here. You're too smart. :P

I was just thinking the same thing!  I graduated last May, but I still have ALL of my CSD notes on my IPAD so I plan on going over those starting tonight to refresh for an interview next Thursday.  But it will be good to maybe go over one page of notes a day because I bet there has to be like 150+.   As far as therapy, I am currently an SLP for charter schools so I'm comfortable with that part of it. 

Nice :) I have most of my notes still, and copies of powerpoints printed off in a folder. I'm somehow missing notes for two of my classes, but I misplaced a lot of stuff that quarter (including about 13 hours of observation logs that I had to make up!), haha. I'm planning to buy the book again for one of those classes.

I'm a first year grad student in my second semester of my master's SLP program. Reviewing isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it.

I would keep your books / notes as you will refer to them, but don't spend your summer re-teaching yourself everything you think you need to know. You're in school to continue learning. It'll happen. Don't burn yourself out before you even start. Also, trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.

In my program, professors have hit on undergrad material in each course and built upon that base knowledge, thus making sure you really know what you need to know. Since grad programs are made up of a cohort of people from different underground backgrounds, there will inevitably be some review. Use your classmates as resources. They'll be able to help fill in some gaps you have, and you can do the same for them in return.

To give you guys a sneak peek, next week is my spring break. This is/was my "To Do" list for this week: 2 midterm exams, 2 midterm reports for clients, conduct a 2-hour eval for a new client, do 3 small one-page assignments, study a manual for a standardized screening test I'm administering after break, hold 3 hours of therapy for my clinic hours, and submit therapy plans for the week after break. Over break, I will be writing 3 papers and reading research articles for my thesis prospectus. Thankfully, my advisor gave me the week off of my research job to focus on midterms. Otherwise, I'd be crying hysterically right now.

Moral of the story: Take time off to enjoy your summer. You will have plenty of time to stress yourself out once grad school actually starts.

Edited by lexical_gap

I think the thing I need to review most is the developmental milestones and whatnot. That feels like it was so long ago (and it was-it was the first CSD class I took) and that I do not know it as well as I should.... Too bad I stupidly sold that book back. Thankfully, my phonetics is still in practice, as I had a client last semester and that required me to do a lot of transcriptions.

I'm coming from out-of-field and will have no idea what's going on when I start in the Fall...and I'm not worried at all.

You all have been/will be accepted, so you already have what it takes. You know a lot more than you think you do. In grad school most of what you learn will just be building upon what you already know, and even that will be reviewed.

There's no way to really prepare for it, you just have to hit the ground running and do your best. All of you seem extremely dedicated and I have no doubt that you'll all be very successful. Just chill, recover from this application season, and rest up for a crazy-wonderful grad school experience.

I've heard current students say the only thing they would recommend reviewing before graduate school is transcription. I actually never learned narrow transcription in my phonetics course, so I think that I am going to try to teach myself that.

Other than that, I'll probably look over my old notes from a few classes, too. I graduated in December so I'm worried about becoming a little rusty by next fall. I'm also going to start reviewing/practicing Spanish a lot more.