Pursuing Medical SLP: stay cheap and local or go to MGH?

Thanks for your feedback shuca!

I found this on their website: "We aim for a class size of 50 to 60 students. However, many classes are even smaller. For example, the seminar courses typically have between 20-30 students; some elective classes have no more than 10 students." So it sounds like there's some small to medium size classes, but also sounds like there's a few classes with 50-60 students.

I need to look more into the literacy focus. At this point, that wouldn't be a con for me since I don't have too strong of interests in the field yet - the more I learn, the more I like. It would be a pro in the sense that I'd be exposed to a new area of the field, but I'm not particularly drawn to literacy either. I am interested in the adult neurogenic and ASD concentrations, however.

Hey lisa19,

Yeah I've read that too, but I personally think it's misleading. I've actually talked to the current students (and alumni), and professors. They all confirmed that first year students have pretty much the same schedule (meaning they all take the same courses), so all of the courses you take in the first year will have 50-60 students in it.

No problem. Good luck with your decision! I don't know much about NYU but they seem to have great reputation too. Must be hard deciding between them! :( I'm sure you'll be happy at either of them, though :)

Thanks so much. It's a bit complicated because I'm doing my undergrad at NYU, so that adds a whole other factor when choosing to stay or leave!

Hey,

I'm not too sure about the literacy focus at MGH either. I guess I really don't mind but I also prefer adult neurogenic, voice and fluency over literacy. I have a very strong interest in medical slp, but I don't want to rule out pediatrics yet.

...Back to square one. I really like the actual courses offered at NYMC - they seem to be heavy on the medical stuff and their classes are very practical in terms of management of patients, use of instrumentation, and applications but they don't offer any clinical sites at any general hospitals. MGH seems to have a greater balance (which is good in that I'll get to see some of the school stuff too) but actually I feel like I might be better prepared for medical at NYMC. But at the same time, I don't want to rule out the school setting if I do end up having an interest in it. What if I go to such a medically focused program only to find out that I'd prefer the school setting (Although, at this point, I think I'm about 80% sure about medical speech). I've heard that NYMC students might have trouble finding school work (i don't know how true this is since I heard this second hand).

But since medical slp is so hard to get into, I feel like I need really great placements and good classes. MGH can offer those placements but maybe not as many of the classes...

I think for me, what it's now coming down to is whether the classes are more important to me or the placements...and of those, which is more important in terms of getting hired.

I think I'd have less of a hard time choosing if I had more balanced preferences.

Hey,

I'm not too sure about the literacy focus at MGH either. I guess I really don't mind but I also prefer adult neurogenic, voice and fluency over literacy. I have a very strong interest in medical slp, but I don't want to rule out pediatrics yet.

...Back to square one. I really like the actual courses offered at NYMC - they seem to be heavy on the medical stuff and their classes are very practical in terms of management of patients, use of instrumentation, and applications but they don't offer any clinical sites at any general hospitals. MGH seems to have a greater balance (which is good in that I'll get to see some of the school stuff too) but actually I feel like I might be better prepared for medical at NYMC. But at the same time, I don't want to rule out the school setting if I do end up having an interest in it. What if I go to such a medically focused program only to find out that I'd prefer the school setting (Although, at this point, I think I'm about 80% sure about medical speech). I've heard that NYMC students might have trouble finding school work (i don't know how true this is since I heard this second hand).

But since medical slp is so hard to get into, I feel like I need really great placements and good classes. MGH can offer those placements but maybe not as many of the classes...

I think for me, what it's now coming down to is whether the classes are more important to me or the placements...and of those, which is more important in terms of getting hired.

I think I'd have less of a hard time choosing if I had more balanced preferences.

So, I spoke with a grad professor at my school and mentioned that I was interested in medical SLP and what not.  When we got talking, he said that at one point, he worked at a hospital and was responsible for hiring SLPs.  He said that the most important aspect of an applicant's resume/experience was their clinical work (where they were placed, what they learned, what clients they were exposed to, etc.)  He said that so many grad students freak out when they get Bs in classes but the real learning takes place in clinical experiences, so your performance there is going to be more important.

Keep in mind what coursework you find more appealing, but if you are concerned about what holds more weight in the job search, this particular professor said that, in his experience, clinical work trumps coursework/grades.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Hey guys! I came across this forum and was wondering if anyone else emailed Dr. Lof informing him they were NOT able to make it to the MGH accepted students info session. I emailed a few days ago and have not received any reply back or any supplemental information. However, I did get another email today to remind me to RSVP. Not sure if I should email him again and say I can't make it?

Hey guys! I came across this forum and was wondering if anyone else emailed Dr. Lof informing him they were NOT able to make it to the MGH accepted students info session. I emailed a few days ago and have not received any reply back or any supplemental information. However, I did get another email today to remind me to RSVP. Not sure if I should email him again and say I can't make it?

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I spoke with one of the profs at MGH informing them I could not attend the info session. They will be sending out a pdf of what we will be missing. I think the e-mail from Prof. Lof was sent to everyone. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you already informed them that you wouldn't be able to attend.

Hope this help,

Erica

If you read the email of says to RSVP to the CSD department with a provided email. You should respond to the reminder you received or check the suggested email address. Hope this helps!

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to decide between MGH and Emerson as well - I soooo appreciate all your input on the pros/cons of each, its super helpful!  I know that Emerson would be an excellent fit for me because of the supportive atmosphere.  But, I love MGH and feel like it would be sort of stupid for me not go there considering everything that MGH offers.  I'm just having confidence issues - I feel like it'll be too difficult and competitive for my liking.  I come from an undergrad program that went above and beyond in preparing me for graduate level work but that is LESS than supportive (i.e. telling people not to even apply to programs because they'll never get in - brutal) so I was hoping to have a different environment in graduate school.  Hopefully attending MGH's Admitted Students Event will help me work through these concerns.

I have a couple of questions: 

1). Does anyone know when Emerson is planning on releasing their fellowship decisions?  

2). For those attending MGH's Accepted Students Event: what are your thoughts on bringing parents?  The invitation said that parents and others are welcome and my parents really want to come see the school, but I don't want to come across as unprofessional.  I feel like a jerk telling my parents not to come but I just don't know, what do you think?

Hey!

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.  I also come from a very non supportive undergraduate program and am worried about the competitiveness and nature of the program.  As for attending the Accepted Students Day, have you decided if you are bringing a parent or not? I'm traveling from out of state and my parents will be there for the weekend but I am unsure about bringing them to the actual event.  Has anyone else decided if they are bringing guests or not on Saturday? 

Laurenrose, right now I am looking at UVA vs MGH.  I think I've been able to read more about MGH than UVA on Gradcafe. UVA's program will cost less, which is a big consideration.  I can't attend accepted students' day at MGH, unfortunately.  I see you are from Virginia, so I though I'd ask (and hope anyone else with information will jump in).  I would prefer a more supportive environment. I am not sure whether I want to go the medical SLP route.  I am not ruling it out; I just think based on limited shadowing experience that I'd be happier working in schools.  Also, UVA awards an MEd degree; does that make any difference in where I could practice once I graduate?

Edited by WellSpoke

Laurenrose, right now I am looking at UVA vs MGH.  I think I've been able to read more about MGH than UVA on Gradcafe. UVA's program will cost less, which is a big consideration.  I can't attend accepted students' day at MGH, unfortunately.  I see you are from Virginia, so I though I'd ask (and hope anyone else with information will jump in).  I would prefer a more supportive environment. I am not sure whether I want to go the medical SLP route.  I am not ruling it out; I just think based on limited shadowing experience that I'd be happier working in schools.

WellSpoke,

Currently, I attend another undergraduate program in Virginia and have not heard the best things about UVA's program.  While I specfically can not address any points as I have never visited UVA, I know that a lot of UVA's undergrads go to JMU for grad school. 

In my opinion, it seems that there are two overarching peices of advice.  The first thing I have been told is to go to wherever is cheapest while the other thing I have been told is that it helps if you specifically know you want to go into the medical field to attend a program such as MGH.  So I am at a loss right now because I have full funding at one program and no funding at MGH. 

As you stated, you are unsure if you want to go the medical route and therefore UVA may be a better place for you.  I have not heard anything positive or negative about the supportive nature of UVA so I'm not sure if I can help you there.  

Hope I was able to help in some way!

Hey laurenrose, I'm planning to bring a parent. I thought about it too and wondered if it'd be weird. But I think in the end, I'd want my mom to see the program. There's a possibility I'd be spending two years there after all. I think it should be fine. I actually wouldn't even have thought of it if it hadn't been mentioned, but the fact that it was specifically shows that it should be okay. I'm expecting to see other parents there too (though I'm not sure if there will be many others there).

Does anyone know anything about how supportive MGH is (in terms of faculty and other students)? I don't think it'll be competitive. I talked to some of the students there and they seemed to be friends. They were friendly enough. I don't think it'll be any more competitive than the next program. I'm actually afraid of that too, but seeing so many people's concern about that from those who have been accepted makes me feel like that won't be the case. After all, we're the ones (the accepted students) that determine whether it's going to be competitive or not. And if we're having these concerns now, it seems like none of us will want that kind of environment. Hopefully. 

There's no point in the competition anyway...I think grad school will be tough for all of us and we'd all want to have supportive classmates. We'd get placements either way, and grades aren't as important as our experiences...which we'll get.

I know that MGH has a medical reputation to it, but I feel like that, in part, has to do with this forum that I started asking specifically about the medical aspects of the program. Keep in mind that MGH has other specialty tracks. I'm interested in medical speech which is why I'm drawn to this program, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't have other things that draw other types of students to them. Medical slp is just one aspect of the program.

Took this from the website. They have these specialty tracks too

• Adult Neurogenic Communication Disorders
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Medical Speech-Language Pathology
  • Reading Disorders
  • Voice Disorders
I think MGH offers a lot. If you have a particular interest in any of these tracks, there's value in going to MGH also. Also, I've heard time and time again that it isn't as medical as people make it out to be. They're more balanced than that. Going for medical slp, you have to keep that in mind too. I've heard there's a lot of focus on literacy in the first year.

Hey!

I feel like I'm in the same boat as you.  I also come from a very non supportive undergraduate program and am worried about the competitiveness and nature of the program.  As for attending the Accepted Students Day, have you decided if you are bringing a parent or not? I'm traveling from out of state and my parents will be there for the weekend but I am unsure about bringing them to the actual event.  Has anyone else decided if they are bringing guests or not on Saturday? 

I decided to bring my parents!  I've pretty much decided that MGH is where I'll be going so I think this is the best opportunity for my parents to see the school - plus, it'll hopefully help ease their worries about me moving to Boston since I'm from out of state as well! 

• 4 years later...

This is SUCH an old thread but I was searching for other people deciding between Emerson/MGH/BU/Vanderbilt and this is the only relevant thread I’ve seen pop up. If any of you are still around on here, where did you end up deciding? I got offered a fellowship from Emerson but due to Boston’s cost of living, Vanderbilt is actually almost the same price. However, I also was in love with BU when I visited and have had MGH as a top choice since I decided to apply, and I just can’t bring myself to decline any offers yet. I’m grateful for all this choice but it’s stressing me out to the point where I’ve honestly been losing sleep. Any advice would be super helpful!!

16 hours ago, Consistent Email Refresher said:

This is SUCH an old thread but I was searching for other people deciding between Emerson/MGH/BU/Vanderbilt and this is the only relevant thread I’ve seen pop up. If any of you are still around on here, where did you end up deciding? I got offered a fellowship from Emerson but due to Boston’s cost of living, Vanderbilt is actually almost the same price. However, I also was in love with BU when I visited and have had MGH as a top choice since I decided to apply, and I just can’t bring myself to decline any offers yet. I’m grateful for all this choice but it’s stressing me out to the point where I’ve honestly been losing sleep. Any advice would be super helpful!!

Hi! I'm a second year graduate student at Vanderbilt. If you have any specific questions about the program, please don't hesitate to ask! 

On 4/2/2018 at 5:02 PM, kellyfussman said:

Hi! I'm a second year graduate student at Vanderbilt. If you have any specific questions about the program, please don't hesitate to ask! 

Hi, thanks so much for responding that would be extremely helpful! The main things that I am curious about are what the schedule is like (are your classes all stacked into one day or spread out along with clinic hours), what the environment is like between students/in your cohort (are people kinda competitive or supportive /get along well etc.), what living in Nashville is like (I’m Jewish and have lived in California my whole life, so I’ve only ever heard stereotypes of what “the south” is like and have no idea what it’s like in reality), and how realistic it is to pursue a master’s thesis with the rigor of the program (I’m really interested in neuroplasticity in aphasia and bilingual research). I’ve found answers to most of my other questions but these were a bit less tangible to research, thanks so much!:)

On 4/4/2018 at 1:46 AM, Consistent Email Refresher said:

Hi, thanks so much for responding that would be extremely helpful! The main things that I am curious about are what the schedule is like (are your classes all stacked into one day or spread out along with clinic hours), what the environment is like between students/in your cohort (are people kinda competitive or supportive /get along well etc.), what living in Nashville is like (I’m Jewish and have lived in California my whole life, so I’ve only ever heard stereotypes of what “the south” is like and have no idea what it’s like in reality), and how realistic it is to pursue a master’s thesis with the rigor of the program (I’m really interested in neuroplasticity in aphasia and bilingual research). I’ve found answers to most of my other questions but these were a bit less tangible to research, thanks so much!:)

I will private message you! :)