Global Health MPH- Emory or Columbia??

Jshapiro

I was accepted into the Global Health department MPH at Emory and the Family and Population Health Department MPH at Columbia with a Global Health Certificate. Both schools have awesome reputations in the field, great faculty, and tons of research and field experience opportunities. Emory has the CDC connection but Columbia has... well all of New York. I know the best way for me to decide would be to visit but I'm living abroad so its not really an option. I would really appreciate some insight. Does anyone who have some first hand knowledge of these programs. Thanks!

I'm trying to make a similar decision... but Emory Global Health Epi versus BU and Berkeley. I'm leaning towards Emory because of the CDC opportunities and good program, but I've never been to Atlanta or seen Emory while I know much more about BU since I did my undergrad in Boston. I'm abroad as well so no chance to visit... 

I'm also torn between Emory and Columbia.  Right now I am leaning towards Columbia, although I will be visiting both in the next few weeks.  The CDC connection is impressive, by Columbia also has a close relationship with the NYC Dept of Health, which is a strong health dept.  I think it also really depends on where you see yourself living after you finish your studies.  I want to end up in NYC, and I'd love to have the chance to live somewhere totally different (Atlanta) for a few years, but I feel a little bit like I'd be shooting myself in the foot to NOT go to school/make connections in the city in which I want to live. 

As an Emory alum, I can assure you that Atlanta has many more global opportunities than just CDC (though sometimes it does feel a little like Rollins is an MPH mill for CDC!). Additionally, the school has a lot of funding and summer practicum opportunities. Take a look at GFE (global field experience) info on the website. Everyone in my cohort, both inside and outside the global health department, that wanted to get international experience did so and received financial assistance from the school. One of my friends from Emory now works at the NYC health department and another is at ICF in NY, so being all the way south won't hurt your connections terribly! Hopefully you can make it to Visit Emory (and whatever Columbia's equivalent is) since that should give you a feel for your cohort and some of the program offerings. Resources and colleagues should DEFINITELY factor into to your decision. I hope that helps. Good luck!