Does it possible to ask for an extension after April 15th?

jpg348413430

Hi all,

Greetings! I am new to this forum and hope to get some advice about a dilemma I am facing now. Here is the thing:

I am admitted to School A's full-funded PhD program and it indicates that I need to confirm my acceptance by April 15th. It is a top 20 school, top 5 program. But the problem is that the program is not a perfect fit for my interest. 

I am also admitted to School B without funding. It's a UK top 2 school (top 5 worldwide) and the program fits me better. It is also the school I feel I am emotionally bound to. I can apply for full-funding now, but the funding decision will only come out after April 15th, maybe around May 10th. I am quite confident to get the funding but it certainly involves some risks. But I cannot go to anywhere without funding.

Do you think it is possible to ask Scool A for an extension to confirm, maybe a month? (I have been offered assistanship, not fellowship). Because I feel morally right to do that rather than change my mind after I accept. More importantly, I am struggling between a UK-style PhD training and a US one--not sure which one suits me better. 

Thanks in advance for your time and answer. Best luck to everyone:)

No, it won't work. The best (if somewhat unethical) thing to do is to accept School A's offer, and then if School B comes through with funding... back out of School A.

Thanks for your reply. But it is okay for me to back out of school A after 4.15? 

I mean, you're not supposed to, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yeah, I understand. But I wonder whether it will leave me bad record. The school B is in UK so I guess School A won't be able to stop me going there. But would they inform any other university in US so I will not be able to go to US again in my life, such as doing postdoc, or even travel (need to apply for visa to enter). I think I am really freak-out now. 

No, that's ridiculous! You can always make up a reason. Just say, "I was very excited about attending your school but unfortunately I will not be able to enroll in the fall. For the time being I need to stay near family." (even if it's not true.) You don't even need to tell them you're enrolling elsewhere. You will lose your deposit, but it's that or wait for the UK school and re-apply next year if you don't get it.

Yeah, I understand. But I wonder whether it will leave me bad record. The school B is in UK so I guess School A won't be able to stop me going there. But would they inform any other university in US so I will not be able to go to US again in my life, such as doing postdoc, or even travel (need to apply for visa to enter). I think I am really freak-out now.

A university has absolutely no power over your visa status. If they wanted to be malicious, the most they can reasonably do is spead that you're unreliable and untrustworthy through word of mouth. Depending on the size of the field, the reputation of the university, and your desire to stay in academia, it may or may not be harmful.

Something else you could potentially try is to pressure the UK university to fast track your funding decision. But, I really have no knowledge of their education system and if such a thing can even happen.

No, that's ridiculous! You can always make up a reason. Just say, "I was very excited about attending your school but unfortunately I will not be able to enroll in the fall. For the time being I need to stay near family." (even if it's not true.) You don't even need to tell them you're enrolling elsewhere. You will lose your deposit, but it's that or wait for the UK school and re-apply next year if you don't get it.

Thanks for your suggestion. So do you suggest that I don't even need to ask for an extension before the deadline in case they notice, since they won't grant it anyway? I don't have any deposit coz they offered full scholarship. Ah, I just hate doing that but I don't have any other choice><

A university has absolutely no power over your visa status. If they wanted to be malicious, the most they can reasonably do is spead that you're unreliable and untrustworthy through word of mouth. Depending on the size of the field, the reputation of the university, and your desire to stay in academia, it may or may not be harmful.

Something else you could potentially try is to pressure the UK university to fast track your funding decision. But, I really have no knowledge of their education system and if such a thing can even happen.

Thanks for your reply! I don't think the scholarship decision will come any sooner. It's just I am not sure whether I should tell School B all the truth to ask for an extension or just accept it first or maybe I should just settle with School B....

Okay definitely do not just accept and back out if you get funding at school B. It's actually considered extremely rude and can ruin funding for the person who would in theory take your spot. Certainly ask school A for an extension on the deadline. It's not uncommon for people to do that and they may be okay with it. At the same time, ask school B if they can let you know about funding sooner. You do not want to hurt your relationship with any schools in case you need to collaborate with them in the future. Call school B, thank them for their generous offer of admission, tell them that you are still considering the school, but would like a bit more time to make a final decision and ask for a 4-5 week extension. Good luck!

Okay definitely do not just accept and back out if you get funding at school B. It's actually considered extremely rude and can ruin funding for the person who would in theory take your spot. Certainly ask school A for an extension on the deadline. It's not uncommon for people to do that and they may be okay with it. At the same time, ask school B if they can let you know about funding sooner. You do not want to hurt your relationship with any schools in case you need to collaborate with them in the future. Call school B, thank them for their generous offer of admission, tell them that you are still considering the school, but would like a bit more time to make a final decision and ask for a 4-5 week extension. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I think maybe I should just settle for school A..Its a top program and everyone says US has a better system for doctoral training. So I am still hesitating...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use