University of Pittsburgh 2014

Marisa.UVA

Hey people! I'm just starting this thread in the hopes that anyone attending Pitt this year will see it... and we can discuss housing, things to do, excitement, etc etc! 

I'll be joining Pitt's neuroscience graduate program this summer in June! 

I interviewed on March 7th, and I got accepted via phone last Friday (14th) and will be accepting the offer...but for IBGP, which I believe is separate from neuroscience.

Hey guys, I will be attending UPitt IBGP as well. Interviewed on Mar 7th and got an acceptance phone call on 14th (Fri) morning, just as tnc0419 above did.

I already decided to attend, but I haven't receive the official acceptance letter from the graduate study office yet. I just know that they were preparing it when the program director called me.

So, how are you guys doing in terms of housing?

I just started looking for 1 bedroom apartment within like 30min bus ride vicinity from the BST building area, but most of them are more than $7-800/mo....

oh well, I will keep looking!

Awesome! Nice to meet you guys. Even though we aren't in the same program, I will also be in the BST/BST3 area so we might just happen across each other. 

Housing is confusing so far. I'm looking for female housemates so I can find a house or apartment with 3-5 bedrooms for about $500/month. I also looked at studios/1 bedroom apartments but I found that they were too pricey for me.... there were a few at $650 or below but they're few and far between... and who knows what they are actually like in person.

When are you guys gonna be moving to Pittsburgh? 

Probably not until August.  I wanted to start in the summer, but I need to finish up the work I am doing at Duke, I would feel bad leaving my project halfway finished...  I am not too worried about housing.  Ideally I would like to live close to the university my first year, and then branch out after I have figured the city out for a year.  I'll probably get a roommate just for the sake of being social and meeting people...

It's been a while since the director of IBGP called me for an acceptance, so I called the office and I was told that the official acceptance letter and the paperwork packet have been shipped and actually been "delivered" to my address already.

I almost freaked out because I haven't received anything, but then I remembered that my apartment has a front office for UPS/FedEx delivery.  whew!  

anyways, 

I just signed and returned the mail today.

I chose to attend the orientation on June to start the lab rotation on June 26th.

Is there anyone else in IBGP starting early as well?

Congrats Science_Nerd! 

Can't help you out with early IBGP starters, but my first rotation starts June 2 (so earlyyyy...) according to what I was told over email/phone. I can't move up until June 1 so that will be interesting.

In case anyone needs some advice, I did my undergrad at Pitt and lived in the city after it for about 5 years, so I'm pretty knowledgeable (if I say so myself) in terms of housing, etc.  Happy to help.

Congrats Science_Nerd! 

Can't help you out with early IBGP starters, but my first rotation starts June 2 (so earlyyyy...) according to what I was told over email/phone. I can't move up until June 1 so that will be interesting.

Wow that's indeed super early.

For my IBGP, I have to attend the orientation before starting lab rotation...

so you might want to talk to them, just in case your program requires orientation attendance as well.   :)

In case anyone needs some advice, I did my undergrad at Pitt and lived in the city after it for about 5 years, so I'm pretty knowledgeable (if I say so myself) in terms of housing, etc.  Happy to help.

I'm looking for efficiency or 1-bedroom apartment under like 650 within 30-min bus ride, and I haven't had much luck so far...

I know the UPitt offers apartment-style housing for students (both undergrad and grad students), but what do you think?

I'm just curious.

Have you looked at the Friendship/Bloomfield/Lawrenceville area?  They're more young and "hipster" areas and absolutely accessible by bus.  If you're looking for something cheap, stay away from Shadyside and Squirrel Hill.  They are definitely trendier areas and you will pay for it.  You could potentially find places on the South Side that are within range, but I think your best bet is to stay in the East End.

I just looked quickly at Craigslist and found these places:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/4383796126.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/4355106098.html

The University has some apartments on Oakland Ave and Atwood St, which would be maybe a 15-20 minute walk to BST.  I lived in one on Oakland Ave my senior year of college, and, though it wasn't terribly modern, it was very clean and well-maintained.  If you don't mind living in South Oakland, which is sort of dirty (generally) and innundated with undergrads, they would be a good choice.  Again, Oakland=dirty, university apartments=not dirty.  I think there is value in living within walking distance of the lab.

http://www.ocl.pitt.edu/university-owned

Thanks sciguy!!

I will check out those and other apartments in Friendship area then.

I just sent an email to the Off-Campus Living office to inquire about the Central Oakland uni-owned apartment. I just wanted to know the floor plan of their efficiency unit, because of Efficiency is just one big room with kitchen and bathroom attached while others can have pseudo-segregated BR/K/Bath.

anyways, I'm hoping they will contact me back tomorrow.

:)

Hi all, I'll be at the IBGP next year as well!

I'm just graduating from undergrad this spring, so I'll be starting in late August so I can have a little break from school.

I'll be moving in with my boyfriend who is a humanities grad student at Duquesne, who will have lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years this summer (we are transplants from the Boston area), so I have some knowledge of Pittsburgh as well if anyone has any questions.

Hey everyone,

I will also be attending IBGP starting August!!

I am looking to get a place with a couple roommates (1-2)  who will be attending UPitt this upcoming fall.

Originally, I wanted to get a single room apartment, but it would be cheaper to share a place. Plus, it would be a great way to get to know people.  I would like to look into an apartment or a house in Squirrel hill, shadyside, or Oakland.

If anyone is interested in rooming with me (22yo female), please let me know and we can chat!!

hmmm... I haven't seen anyone who is starting on June yet.  anyone?

I have already contacted a particular laboratory and got a permission to rotate during summer.

How are you guys doing in terms of official paperwork and stuff?

For apartment, since graduate studies office sent out an email saying that they will soon launch a Housing helper service so I am waiting for that to happen. 

hmmm... I haven't seen anyone who is starting on June yet.  anyone?

I have already contacted a particular laboratory and got a permission to rotate during summer.

How are you guys doing in terms of official paperwork and stuff?

For apartment, since graduate studies office sent out an email saying that they will soon launch a Housing helper service so I am waiting for that to happen. 

I wouldn't fret.  I bet most people don't use grad cafe.  I am sure there are a handful of students doing summer rotations.  You have plenty of time to figure shit out.  

Who are you going to rotate under in the summer?

I wouldn't fret.  I bet most people don't use grad cafe.  I am sure there are a handful of students doing summer rotations.  You have plenty of time to figure shit out.  

Who are you going to rotate under in the summer?

I'm going to rotate in the lab of Dr. de Vallejo during summer.

He is in immunology group but his office is in the children's hospital.

Hey everyone! Looks like we'll be at the same school this fall. I'll be starting their PhD in political science :)

Congrats to you and to all of us altogether!

How are you doing in housing situation?

Congrats to you and to all of us altogether!

How are you doing in housing situation?

Thanks! Congrats to you as well! 

I probably won't understand much of it, but what are you planning to study more specifically?

My housing situation so far is non-existent. I'm just now starting to look. How about you all? 

Thanks! Congrats to you as well! 

I probably won't understand much of it, but what are you planning to study more specifically?

My housing situation so far is non-existent. I'm just now starting to look. How about you all? 

Thanks!

well, mainly anything that has to do with Immunology is what I'm interested, and right now I'm leaning toward tumor immunology.  It's fun :)

I can't really do anything about housing right now.

Many apartments I called require "in-person" visit before initiating the application process, which is impossible for me at this moment because I live in Texas.  So I need to wait until the Graduate Studies Office at school of medicine start the housing help service for us.  

And I found that the university-owned apartments are all filled up.

Thanks!

well, mainly anything that has to do with Immunology is what I'm interested, and right now I'm leaning toward tumor immunology.  It's fun :)

I can't really do anything about housing right now.

Many apartments I called require "in-person" visit before initiating the application process, which is impossible for me at this moment because I live in Texas.  So I need to wait until the Graduate Studies Office at school of medicine start the housing help service for us.  

And I found that the university-owned apartments are all filled up.

Have you tried Mozart (www.mozartrents.com)... I think its a little above your 600 dollar price limit but students use it and they allow you to rent over the phone... its called InstaRent. Sounds sketch I know, but they will give you photos etc and make sure you have any questions answered.  They have some cool apartments close to campus.  I know one or two other students from our weekend that are probably going through them.  It can't be that bad.

I am not renting anything, I think my parents want to purchase a condo since I will be there for 5-6 years.  You end up spending like 50-60k on rent and utilities over 5-6 years. Pretty crazy.  

Have you tried Mozart (www.mozartrents.com)... I think its a little above your 600 dollar price limit but students use it and they allow you to rent over the phone... its called InstaRent. Sounds sketch I know, but they will give you photos etc and make sure you have any questions answered.  They have some cool apartments close to campus.  I know one or two other students from our weekend that are probably going through them.  It can't be that bad.

I am not renting anything, I think my parents want to purchase a condo since I will be there for 5-6 years.  You end up spending like 50-60k on rent and utilities over 5-6 years. Pretty crazy.  

I just skimmed through their website. They do have a really nice apartments in the area but they are a little over my budget.

The Graduate Studies Office at UPitt SOM told me that they are launching something called "Housing Helpers Program" to help us secure place to live.

I hope they launch it very soon.