University of Pittsburgh 2014

Marisa.UVA

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm... I haven't seen anyone who is starting on June yet.  anyone?

Hey, I'm also in IBGP and will be starting in June! I'm planning on moving there about a week before the orientation. I also found a two bedroom place (to share between me and my GF) for $900/mo near Frick Park. I think the two bedroom places in Pittsburgh are significantly cheaper if you are willing to have a roommate.

Hey, I'm also in IBGP and will be starting in June! I'm planning on moving there about a week before the orientation. I also found a two bedroom place (to share between me and my GF) for $900/mo near Frick Park. I think the two bedroom places in Pittsburgh are significantly cheaper if you are willing to have a roommate.

Oh cool! nice to know there are others starting on June!!

My first rotation will be at the Rangos Research Center (Children's Hospital).

Where will you be rotating, if you don't mind asking.

Yeah I do agree with you. 2-bedroom apartments in Pittsburgh are really reasonable, compared to other cities.

But I think I'm gonna rent a studio apartment for the first year, until I make friends in the program and find someone who is interested in being roommate. 

Oh cool! nice to know there are others starting on June!!

My first rotation will be at the Rangos Research Center (Children's Hospital).

Where will you be rotating, if you don't mind asking.

The Children's hospital was pretty awesome from what I can remember. I will be rotating in biomedical science tower 1, which is just down the block from you.

Also I just got contacted by a current Grad student at Pitt offering help finding a place to live (I think this is the 'housing helper program' you mentioned). I assume they contacted you as well. Hopefully they can help you find a place within your budget.

I did my undergrad in Pittsburgh, and lived in the Friendship/Lawrenceville neighborhood for my last two years. Reasonable rent in the area and close to Shadyside (there was a Giant Eagle that was about 15 minutes walking from my apt) and about a ~20 min bus ride to campus. In terms of apartment companies, avoid Lobos Management. Feel free to google to see why. 

Edited by bumblyboo

I just signed a lease agreement to secure my apartment in the Squirrel Hill area, 20 mins from campus by bus.

Since i will be rotating in the lab at Children's Hospital, I submitted all the security background check paperwork, and all the CITI trainings online have been taken care of!!!

Whew...all done!

Edited by Science_Nerd

Where are you all looking for apartments anyway? Craigslist or elsewhere?  I feel like I've exhausted the craigslist options and haven't found anything particularly appealing yet. Any ideas? :) 

I found my place on Craigslist. BUT- I realized fairly early on I couldn't afford the studios and 1 bedroom apartments, so I found two roommates to share a 3 bedroom place which nearly halved my expected rent costs. 

I found my place on Craigslist. BUT- I realized fairly early on I couldn't afford the studios and 1 bedroom apartments, so I found two roommates to share a 3 bedroom place which nearly halved my expected rent costs. 

That's a good thought. I'm actually married, so I'll be moving with my wife, which means getting other roommates isn't really an option  :) I'm trying to find 1-2 bedroom places, but am not having tons of luck.

Congrats Science_Nerd! I also just signed a lease for a place in Squirrel Hill, close to Murray Ave. We may just happen to run into each other. :)

haha  my apartment is on Murray ave too lol

We might be indeed riding the same bus to get to campus!

Hi there!

Thought I would join you people here on this thread.

I will be joining MPH - epi in the coming fall. 

Where do most graduate student usually end up living... University housing or outside campus?

Hi there!

Thought I would join you people here on this thread.

I will be joining MPH - epi in the coming fall. 

Where do most graduate student usually end up living... University housing or outside campus?

I'm a new student at UPitt so I cant answer your "where do most graduate student usually end up living" question,

but I know for sure that University-Owned apartments are all full and they won't accept any more application for it at this point.

I've tried and they dont even return a response lol haha

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quiet here.

So, according to the student-list that was sent by email few weeks ago, there are 8 of us starting early on June.

Which means that we, 8 of us, get to use the Enrichment account early as well :)

What are you guys planning to use the account for?

When I asked current students I met at the interview, most of them said that they bought a new laptop.

And they also warned me to save some of the account money to buy textbook, so I won't have to deal with library and making photocopies and such.

Anyways, since I just purchased my laptop a year ago, so I am planning to look into tablets.

It would be cool if I could take notes on tablet, directly onto PDF with stylus (I just watched some iPad introduction videos and I thought it was cool).

I've never owned a tablet, so I appreciate any opinions you guys have! :D

Edited by Science_Nerd

eh, writing on an iPad is kind of awkward, much faster to just write on paper..... i took grad classes at duke and some people would try and type everything on their computer that they could possibly type, and never looked up at the lecture but had everything typed... some would have their iPad/tablet, and they would always get behind on note taking, or just use it to view the power point slides which is pointless because its projected in front of you... and others would actually pay attention and just listen to the lecture and jot down things they deemed important...I just recorded the lecture on my phone and paid attention... but yeah taking notes on an iPad seems great in theory, but its just not that great in practice... at least for me and from what I have observed.... I don't know for the classes I took, almost everything came from journals so you could always just go back and look at the paper they were referencing... its so much easier than undergrad.... no memorizing, just applying things and making rational arguments.... you also have to consider that for some classes you are just discussing literature, and not like taking notes on a lecture etc....

eh, writing on an iPad is kind of awkward, much faster to just write on paper..... i took grad classes at duke and some people would try and type everything on their computer that they could possibly type, and never looked up at the lecture but had everything typed... some would have their iPad/tablet, and they would always get behind on note taking, or just use it to view the power point slides which is pointless because its projected in front of you... and others would actually pay attention and just listen to the lecture and jot down things they deemed important...I just recorded the lecture on my phone and paid attention... but yeah taking notes on an iPad seems great in theory, but its just not that great in practice... at least for me and from what I have observed.... I don't know for the classes I took, almost everything came from journals so you could always just go back and look at the paper they were referencing... its so much easier than undergrad.... no memorizing, just applying things and making rational arguments.... you also have to consider that for some classes you are just discussing literature, and not like taking notes on a lecture etc....

Hmmm... I guess the tablet notetaking tech hasn't really evolved as much as those tech companies claim that it has.

Oh well, even though my laptop is an ultrabook and really thin and light, I'm tire of carrying it around with me all the time, because of the permanently attached keyboard. So I am for sure going to buy a tablet, but now after hearing your experiences, I will be using it for other things than notetaking.

Thanks! :)

Hi folks,

I'll be starting my PhD studies at U Pitt in the falls (was admitted to the Computational Biology program--CPCB). Been lurking around Gradcafe for a while now looking to see if I could talk to anyone else who's going. Anywho, looking forward to moving to Pittsburgh and seeing y'all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'll be starting my PhD studies at U Pitt in the falls (was admitted to the Computational Biology program--CPCB). Been lurking around Gradcafe for a while now looking to see if I could talk to anyone else who's going. Anywho, looking forward to moving to Pittsburgh and seeing y'all.

Hey! :D

Seems like it's been super quiet on this forum lol

Hey guys, just few days back I received email about the orientation for those starting from June.

I'm so excited that it's really happening, but then I'm also nervous too lol haha

Hey! Science_Nerd, you guys are lucky you have an orientation for the summer starters. How's it going so far for you? I forget when you were moving here. Anyway, I moved to Pittsburgh 9 days ago and started my first rotation the very next day! O.o But honestly, so far, I love it. It's kinda sad but I think I'm the only one from my year who's here already... *so lonely* :P Have you met people from your program yet?

Hey! Science_Nerd, you guys are lucky you have an orientation for the summer starters. How's it going so far for you? I forget when you were moving here. Anyway, I moved to Pittsburgh 9 days ago and started my first rotation the very next day! O.o But honestly, so far, I love it. It's kinda sad but I think I'm the only one from my year who's here already... *so lonely* :P Have you met people from your program yet?

Your program doesn't have the orientation for early students?  It kinds sucks that you couldn't get to know people in your program beforehand. 

I haven't moved to Pittsburgh yet, actually. Maybe in next few days or so.

So I havent met anyone in my program yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.