FAFSA loan deferral

wintermute

So I'm trying to figure out how to get my undergrad loans, which I've been paying off for about a year now, deferred now that I'll be in grad school. Anyone else have any luck navigating the FAFSA website? I don't see anywhere that even talks about deferment.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get my undergrad loans, which I've been paying off for about a year now, deferred now that I'll be in grad school. Anyone else have any luck navigating the FAFSA website? I don't see anywhere that even talks about deferment.

FAFSA just deals with your eligibility for the financial aid. Check with your finaid office and they can direct you to the proper site, which would be whoever holds your loans. The paperwork has to be filled out with the loan maker, and then the school sends them proof that you are indeed attending/about to attend, which will defer your payments.

You'll need to get a deferral form from your loaner's office or website. For Direct Loans (federal), they have a one page sheet which needs to be filled out by your current (of future) school's registrar office confirming that you're at least half-time enrolled.

Of course, if you're not starting until September, you can't fill this form out and get deferral status until then.

You could also just call up your lender directly, and find out what they need. That's what I did - luckily, since my school didn't report, or they didn't get the report, or something got screwed up with the report - and all they needed was a copy of some paperwork from my school. Every situation is different, of course....

• 4 months later...