How many times were you rejected?

Ceci

I was rejected each place last year, (my first time applying after undergrad).  I went to an interview at Adler for their Psy.D. program in which I received a rejection by website a week after. One of my advisors stated it is not unusual to be rejected your first application period after graduation.  She admitted she had to re-apply--she is now the undergraduate director for the program at my university.

Looking back at my application packages for Fall 2014, I feel I may not be as competitive yet again.  I have had one rejection letter from CUA and have not heard back from the others.

My question is... Is it normal for people to be rejected for years after undergrad before receiving an acceptance? Maybe their third year attempt?  Has anyone had this happen to them?

Last year I was rejected from all my programs. This year, I was accepted and funded at all my programs but I completely changed programs to something that fit me better, got work experience, and did relevant research in the year in between. 

I think applying multiple times (even more than twice) can be common. For example, I know clinical psychology is incredibly competitive, and this can happen. Getting some kind of job in a research lab can really help. It also could help you get in a program if you are working with a lab you would like to join. I don't know if that is the same for a Psy. D. since they have a different focus. 

Edited by TheGirlWhoLived

I've been rejected by 10/11 this year. This is my first application cycle. I'm told it's not unusual to need a couple cycles.

My mentor told me that when she applied she got into one of her 'safety' schools but not her top choice program. She accepted the offer she had, but the next year she was still intrigued to know if she could get into her favorite. She resubmitted the EXACT same portfolio and letters--word-for-word identical--and she got a letter back saying she was their top choice. Of course, she was already attending a program, but she was pleased nonetheless. 

It's a crapshoot and not even vaguely logical. It's very circumstantial and you should not take it personally. Determination and perseverance are the winning qualities.

Last year I applied for a the 2 years MSW at Laurier and was rejected so I did the 1 year post-grad BSW instead. This year I applied to the advanced standing MSW and I was accepted at UofT and waitlisted at Laurier (will be attending UofT).  So the moral of my story is if you are rejected - do something to up your chances!  Do another degree or upgrade classes, get more experience, etc.  Don't just reapply without having changed anything or you will continue to have the same results.

Why even apply if you are expecting all rejections? I don't understand this attitude.

Probably because they still wanted to try. I'm probably going to receive all rejections this year but I found some really cool research and some PIs so I wanted to apply. Just because this person may not feel like they were a top candidate doesn't mean that they didn't put in a lot of effort in their applications. And even though the odds weren't great, they seem to have persevered. I don't understand when people don't even try and give up from the start.

Thanks for the information, all.  I did improve my package, improved my GRE's by 14 points (although still not great percentiles...), performed four volunteer opp's.  My lead advisor passed away so I was unable to use his letter, I almost feel like my application is suffering more without his letter.  I honestly don't know who else to request a letter from since my second choice actually passed away in January from a random accident.

This thread is making me feel so much better because I know I'm not alone.

I got rejected all around the board last year. It was my first time applying out of undergrad and I didn't really take applying very seriously. I applied again this year and although I am still waiting on two schools it's not looking very good :(. But it just means I'll have to improve my application for next year and try harder!