FAFSA

LincolnLover

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the FAFSA form.  I found out I was admitted to Hunter's MSW program for the Fall 2014.  However, I haven't filed FAFSA yet because my W2 form got lost in the mail and I had to wait for it.  I plan on filling it out tonight.  My questions are as follows:

1) Because I was accepted before I filled out the FAFSA form ,does that automatically disqualify me for any financial aid?

2) Since I am in grad school now, I've heard that you no longer have to report your parent's income?  Is this true? Is there any down side to this?

Thank you so much!

In own opinion, it doesn't matter how or when you are going to file, by missing the March 2nd cut off for FA you missed a chance at potentially more $$. 

It sounds about right that once you hit grad school you are on your own, but if you want to be sure and not take strangers comments as fact, check it out yourself.  I haven't worried for myself about dependent/independent because I'm single and 49, but my son 19 is on my taxes  and come Jan 2, we complete our FAFSA's and get our info for our taxes in as soon as we get them done (Before the tax day cut off). 

Look on the FA website for the cut off dates and what else is needed.

Good Luck

P

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about the FAFSA form.  I found out I was admitted to Hunter's MSW program for the Fall 2014.  However, I haven't filed FAFSA yet because my W2 form got lost in the mail and I had to wait for it.  I plan on filling it out tonight.  My questions are as follows:

1) Because I was accepted before I filled out the FAFSA form ,does that automatically disqualify me for any financial aid?

2) Since I am in grad school now, I've heard that you no longer have to report your parent's income?  Is this true? Is there any down side to this?

Thank you so much!

You are considered as an independent if you are or will turn 24 years old during the school year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to UCONN and they sent an email a couple of weeks ago regarding this topic. It stated that the financial aid office encouraged applicants to fill out the FAFSA despite the fact that it's due date had past. So give it a shot! Also, this is the first year that FAFSA considered me to be an "independent". I think that all graduate students are considered independents, but I could be wrong. The application also gave me the option to enter my parent's financial information. Hope this helps... 

you are considered an "independent student" (meaning only your own income is used to calculate your financial aid package, not your parent's income) if you meet any ONE of the following:

• Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
  • Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, in foster care or was a ward of the court when 13 years or older;
  • Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for other than training purposes;
  • Be a graduate or professional student;
  • Be a married individual;
  • Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
  • Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship;
  • Be a homeless youth;
  • Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

Therefore, since I met one of the above requirements (being over 24 years old) I was able to declare only my own income and I received a state university grant :) which payed for my tuition :) tee hee! one great advantage of going to a california state school. I'm not sure about other universities though, many graduate school programs do not offer financial aid :(