Thanks to Gradcafe...

HermoineG

I am so happy to say that I am a successful Psychology applicant of Fall 2014. Applied to 8 schools and got in to 5 of them! Waiting to hear back from 2 more school. Rejected by one school.

I am so grateful to this site and especially the forums! I was completely new and uninformed about this entire admission procedure and gradcafe helped me to a great extent. From SOP tips to writing mails to POIs. As it turns out, most of the schools I applied to had this mentorship model and I was an unsaid unwritten rule that POIs needed to be contacted. I did not know about this and learned it on Gradcafe. I contacted my POIs from all the schools and they all called me in for interviews, which resulted in admits! So thanks, Gradcafe!!

Has Gradcafe helped you in this process, may be in a small way or to a great deal? I am very curious to know :D

Edited by PsychChick

First of all, congratulations on your success! With 5 acceptances already, I have a feeling it won't be easy for you to decide where to go. It's a good kind of headache, I say. :)

I was only a novice about the whole application process when I joined this forum last year. And being an international applicant made it even more difficult. But as I scoured the threads and talked to others, I learned more and more about SOP's, LOR's, weightage of GRE scores etc. On my own, my SOP would've been mediocre - but with the guidance from some wise people here, I managed to improve it considerably. Furthermore, I came to know that the admission committees look at the application package as a whole. So, for instance, if you have a poor GPA, you can always make up for it by improving other areas of your application. In other words, GradCafe gave me hope when I was struggling, and that's no small achievement! As a result of all that, I managed to get into one of the top engineering schools in the US.

So, a big thank you to GradCafe and all those who helped me out. :D

PS. This feels like our Oscar's speech moment. ;)

Edited by AdilB990

I'm glad I joined Gradcafe! It has been and continues to be a great experience.

At times the other applicants' overwhelmingly good grades/GRE/publications/research experiences scared me out of my wits! But at times the people around here soothed me with their comforting words.

Most importantly, Gradcafe helped me keep my chin up, even when the people around me (and sometimes in my own head I, myself) told me otherwise. 

I am so happy to say that I am a successful Psychology applicant of Fall 2014. Applied to 8 schools and got in to 5 of them! Waiting to hear back from 2 more school. Rejected by one school.

I am so grateful to this site and especially the forums! I was completely new and uninformed about this entire admission procedure and gradcafe helped me to a great extent. From SOP tips to writing mails to POIs. As it turns out, most of the schools I applied to had this mentorship model and I was an unsaid unwritten rule that POIs needed to be contacted. I did not know about this and learned it on Gradcafe. I contacted my POIs from all the schools and they all called me in for interviews, which resulted in admits! So thanks, Gradcafe!!

Has Gradcafe helped you in this process, may be in a small way or to a great deal? I am very curious to know :D

First, congrats on 5/8 acceptances! Those are spectacular results, especially for psychology admissions! I didn't contact any of my POIs - and I was accepted to one (declined the offer) and interviewed at another school. If I had to do it over, I would've started earlier and emailed POIs - it would've given me a better gauge for goodness of fit and would've been useful to see if they were taking students (I wouldn't be surprised if some of my apps were tossed because of this).

I'm most grateful to grad cafe for the results section and some insider information about certain schools and interviews!

Edited by aphdapplicant

All in a day's work, citizen! +flies away+

I imagined you as the Magidos from your profile picture, saying this in a very deep, 1940s voice, then swimming through the stratosphere and into the horizon until you are nothing more than a tiny point of light that blips out.

I was amused. :P

And also, I was a total N00B when I joined GC too. So glad this place is here. Obviously, since I've only been on for a few months and have a pretty high post per day ratio (especially considering I wasn't on much b/w submitting app and a month or so before expecting decisions)

Edited by roguesenna