Two year gap year - Increasing my odds?

missmend

Long story short is that while I intended to go straight into grad school from undergrad, health and finances made that hard and I wound up not applying in 2013. Now, though, I'm intending to apply to MA programs for fall 2015 but my concern is that I haven't done anything, well, noteworthy since graduating. Right now I'm working part time and doing volunteer work, but I'd love to get input on what I could be doing to help increase my chances on successful applications.

Some background: I graduated in 2013 with a BA in history and German, with a Russian minor, with honors. I have some conference presentations and awards, and a number of professors who could write very solid LORs. My intention is to apply for MA programs in history, focusing on East-Central Europe, with the intention to go on to the PhD. I've thought language classes might be a good direction, along with continuing reading theory and current lit, but suggestions would be very helpful.

It sounds like you already have a strong application, so really now you can just focus on GRE and SOP. Additional language is definitely good if you aren't at a research reading level for the ones you'll need, but I think they'll mostly just focus on your undergraduate record and what you've already done academically. I took a 2 year gap between my MA and applying for PhDs (just finished the application cycle for that). I did nothing in those 2 years related to history or to improve my application and was successful, so having the gap didn't really seem to hurt at all.

Actually, it's becoming increasingly common for people to have gap years. Professors like working with students who've done something besides "school." The gap year(s) don't have to be related to academia at all... a friend of mine worked retail after finishing her MA and while applying to grad programs. It was fine. 

Exactly like you, Missmend, I have a double BA in history and German, and I've taken two years off between undergrad and applying for my Ph.D (I didn't do an MA). I graduated in Spring 2012 and have worked as an overseas English language teaching assistant with Fulbright and with the German government for the last two years. I managed to do one history-related internship during the summer last year, but that was it, and I managed to get accepted into a good history Ph.D. problem, proving that you don't necessarily need to publish papers or do a history MA to get accepted for your Ph.D. Your qualifications sound pretty good, so I wouldn't worry about padding up the resumé. Just spend some time lovingly crafting a beautiful SOP that highlights all of the great live experience you've had since graduating, as well as your good undergraduate record (don't worry, it didn't expire after you graduated ;) )

Edited by maelia8

Appreciate all the responses! I heard similar advice from my professors - that time off before grad school showed admissions a wider background range and a commitment to your field, since you chose to come back to academia. My concern is the lack of fellowships or research in those two years will count against me, so I'd like to do as much as I can on my own to prepare (even If it's just for my benefit).

At this point, I might just be echoing other posters--but I was in the same position. I took a couple classes during my two gap years (a language that will be useful for my research and a linguistics course). However, I primarily worked as an administrative assistant and didn't complete any fellowships, research, or internships. I was told multiple times when visiting programs (before and after admission) that the faculty were happy to see that I had taken time off (regardless of what I did during that time). I think ad comms often see time off as a sign that you are really sure you want to be in graduate school (i.e., you've tried the 'real world' of non-academic work and are confident you want to return to an academic program) and not simply moving from one educational program to the next. Good luck with your applications! It sounds like you are in a great position for success in this application cycle :)

• 1 month later...

This thread may be a bit older, but I am in an even gloomier position and still think by what encouragement I have received from local faculty I have spoken with that I (and you) will be fine in seeking admissions. I graduated in 2010, and will be applying for 2015. Using this past semester and the 2014 fall semester, I am actually taking a few extra history courses to beef up my transcript (I was unfortunately talked into an interdisciplinary major) and to work on languages.

No matter which professor I spoke with, they all echoed the same idea on what makes an applicant stronger: language skills. Their advice to me was to hone in on an interest for choosing my program, desired advisers, and writing my letter of statement, while primarily spending plenty of time working on my foreign language reading abilities. Any program will favor applicants that they feel can jump right into the readings, I have been told. And, since it sounds like you already have pretty good practice with your linguistics, I would just emphasize that you have been actively working with your foreign language skills, if I were you (since that is exactly what I am doing right now). You're probably ahead of me on that score, so just keep it up.

As a side note, my professors recommended practice in reading period literature, since the languages differed 1000 years ago for my intended field (medieval northwestern Europe).

Edited by ForlornHope

@ForlornHope

I've heard similar anecdotes from professors, but Im curious if this applies to potential graduate students studying American history. I speak Hungarian, and French fluently, but I dont think I'll ever use those languages in my research (Im focusing on family roles in African slaves, with emphasis on children, in Antebellum America).