Southern Connecticut State University

I have been accepted here. I have a bunch of questions to just "throw out there" as well. I submitted my FASFA but have not received anything back specific to funding, and this is a large concern of mine. Additionally:

Are any accepted students commuting, or are people looking to live in and around New Haven? (If so are you looking to find off campus housing, or are there opportunities to apply to become an RA, etc, and live on campus?)

Does anyone know anyone who is or has graduated from this program?

Does anyone know the schedule of the program - such as the classes are usually after business hours, or vary throughout the day, Monday through Thursday, etc?

I have been accepted here. I have a bunch of questions to just "throw out there" as well. I submitted my FASFA but have not received anything back specific to funding, and this is a large concern of mine. Additionally:

Are any accepted students commuting, or are people looking to live in and around New Haven? (If so are you looking to find off campus housing, or are there opportunities to apply to become an RA, etc, and live on campus?)

Does anyone know anyone who is or has graduated from this program?

Does anyone know the schedule of the program - such as the classes are usually after business hours, or vary throughout the day, Monday through Thursday, etc?

I was looking around their website and they do seem to provide on-campus housing for graduate students. Since I do not live in CT, if I choose to attend this school (thinking about it but still waiting to hear from other schools) I will be either living on-campus or trying to rent an apartment off-campus. 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread for 2015 to see if anyone has any info or is planning on attending! I'm hoping to check out the clinic next week.

Did you visit the clinic? How did you like it?  I only drove around the campus because my brother lives in the area but wasn't able to visit the clinic.

Did you visit the clinic? How did you like it?  I only drove around the campus because my brother lives in the area but wasn't able to visit the clinic.

Yes, I did! You should go check it out if you're in the area again -- the admissions chair was very accommodating and chatted with me for awhile. Some parts of the clinic have been redone recently, but mostly it looks like your typical school building -- cinder block walls, windowless inner rooms, etc. Classrooms are located in the same building, one floor up. Nothing to write home about, but nothing terrible either.

Did you find out anything else about the program when you were there?  I'm stuck deciding between Southern Connecticut and Hofstra and I don't know too much about Southern except for the information I got from their website.

Did you find out anything else about the program when you were there?  I'm stuck deciding between Southern Connecticut and Hofstra and I don't know too much about Southern except for the information I got from their website.

Schedules are individualized: there are no cohorts, so you can work through the program at your own speed. Clinical and rotation placements seemed good and the urban location offers access to very diverse and multicultural populations.

Anything in particular you wanted to know about? I'd suggest contacting them; they were very willing to talk and answer any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted off the waitlist today. I have already paid a deposit to Sacred Heart but am thinking about switching. I am from CT and southern is cheaper. Anyone have insight?

• 10 months later...
On 5/1/2015 at 6:34 PM, Skslp said:

I was accepted off the waitlist today. I have already paid a deposit to Sacred Heart but am thinking about switching. I am from CT and southern is cheaper. Anyone have insight?

Hi - I was accepted to Sacred Heart and Southern for Fall 16 and would love any feedback from you as you were recently in the same boat! What did you end up choosing and are you happy with your decision?

• 1 year later...

Bumping this post for Fall 2018 applicants.

I was accepted to Sacred Heart yesterday (yay!) but am still waiting on results from UConn and Southern Connecticut State, hopefully within the next several weeks.  In the meantime, there is a deposit for Sacred Heart that I am willing to pay to save my spot, but the wording of the acceptance email made it sound like paying the deposit equals a formal commitment to attending the program (as opposed to a way to save your place while waiting for other admissions results).  I'm hoping others can shed some light on this... I'm incredibly excited to have been accepted, but I want to make sure I have all of the information I can before making a final decision about which school I'll attend.  

Do you feel comfortable sharing the part of the phrasing that's making you concerned? I can't imagine it would mean a commitment because I can't think of what they could really do if you changed your mind, but who knows

Also congrats on Sacred Heart!!

Edited by chickadeeslp

It says something to the effect of 'if you choose to accept this offer of admission, please notify us to obtain deposit info.'  There's a letter coming via snail mail too, so hopefully it contains a deadline/more info.

Thanks so much! :D 

Does anyone know about financial aid offered by Southern Connecticut? I was accepted but I'm out of state and on the three year track which makes it pretty expensive. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's common for out of state students to be offered aid (outside of loans). Do schools usually include financial aid offers with acceptance or do they come later?