GPA and PhD admissions

Hey guys,

I am graduating this year from MA in Political Science at Central European University, but it looks like my GPA won't be higher than 3.3 and I don't still have my GRE results. I'm going to apply to PhD programs in PolSci in a few Canadian universities to be enrolled in 2015:

1. UBC.

2. U of To.

3. University of Alberta.

4. University of Ottawa.

I have 4 years working experience in a field of research in public policy, internship at UNDP, number of publications including publication in journal with impact-factor. Do I have any chances to be enrolled with such a low GPA, or no matter how good my CV and proposal are such GPA definitely means "rejected"?

In general what are basic "patterns" of admissions to Canadian universities? On what they mostly pay attention when you are applying to faculty of arts?

Thank you in advance.

Is that a yes to the US scale? In that case a 3.3 graduate GPA is really going to hurt you. A 'B'grade in a graduate class does not look good--why would adcoms admit someone who they know may be getting Bs in their PhD program? If there are extentuating circumstances I would have your LORs mention them.

I have a similar question.  I am currently in law school, but will be applying to PhD programs this fall.  My first year of law school I got a lot of B's and B- grades, but my law school GPA will be around a 3.2 - 3.3 when applying.  However, 3.4 is the mark for graduating with honors, and surely the adcoms will realize that law school grades are curved at a C or C+, right?

I have a similar question.  I am currently in law school, but will be applying to PhD programs this fall.  My first year of law school I got a lot of B's and B- grades, but my law school GPA will be around a 3.2 - 3.3 when applying.  However, 3.4 is the mark for graduating with honors, and surely the adcoms will realize that law school grades are curved at a C or C+, right?

Make sure your referees put your institutions grading system into context, the onus is on you to make sure that they get this information. As has been said by others B's seem to be mighty rare at many Masters programs in Political Science.

What might also be important, however, is the spread of course grades at CEU. Is B above average? If that's the case, you shouldn't have a problem.

At CEU 3.3 is considered as B+. Unfortunately at the moment I don't know about spread - good question btw.

I am interested in applying for Fall 2015. So far, I have all A-'s in all my classes, and one B+ when I was taking the quarter from hell so I could have the summer off for internships. I am in my last class right now and my thesis. Will that one B+ hurt me when I apply? I really need to make up for a low UG GPA. I don't have a lot of research and publication experience, most of my professional experience has been in both domestic and federal U.S. government and non governmental professional work abroad.

I am interested in applying for Fall 2015. So far, I have all A-'s in all my classes, and one B+ when I was taking the quarter from hell so I could have the summer off for internships. I am in my last class right now and my thesis. Will that one B+ hurt me when I apply? I really need to make up for a low UG GPA. I don't have a lot of research and publication experience, most of my professional experience has been in both domestic and federal U.S. government and non governmental professional work abroad.

Take a year or two off after you graduate and get some real research experience. Don't apply for a PhD unless you are absolutely certain that you LOVE research. Which is not the same as federal or NGO employment.