Montclair State University

Happy to see all the buzz about Montclair's program, congrats to everyone! I'm in my second semester at Montclair and this was the exact thing that I was wondering about last year. It's a cohort-based program, so even with a speech background it'll still take the 2.5 years. This means you'll get 3 on-site clinic semesters as well as two semesters of off-site externships. If you have any questions let me know =)

I would love to know more about how a regular class day is like. Can you choose when to take classes? Is a part time job possible while in school?

Has anyone been able to visit the program at a time other than the open house?  I think in one of last year's threads someone said that they don't give tours until after you've accepted their offer so I was wondering if that was true.

Happy to see all the buzz about Montclair's program, congrats to everyone! I'm in my second semester at Montclair and this was the exact thing that I was wondering about last year. It's a cohort-based program, so even with a speech background it'll still take the 2.5 years. This means you'll get 3 on-site clinic semesters as well as two semesters of off-site externships. If you have any questions let me know =)

That's great to know! Thank you!

My questions are the same as whoknows14: What is a typical day like? Is it possible to work part time?

Also, does the extra semester affect hiring potential? I want to work for the school system so I would assume that graduating in December would be bad for that but I definitely could be wrong.

Thank you so much!

Has anyone been able to visit the program at a time other than the open house?  I think in one of last year's threads someone said that they don't give tours until after you've accepted their offer so I was wondering if that was true.

I just emailed them this morning and was told, "Advising takes place in mid-June. At that time you will have an opportunity to have a tour of our facilities. You will be receiving an email from either me or Ms. Verderosa regarding scheduling an appointment for advising in the near future."

I just emailed them this morning and was told, "Advising takes place in mid-June. At that time you will have an opportunity to have a tour of our facilities. You will be receiving an email from either me or Ms. Verderosa regarding scheduling an appointment for advising in the near future."

Thanks! After getting in touch with them this morning as well I actually got a follow up that they will try to put a tour together some time in the next week, so hopefully we'll know more about that soon!

I would love to know more about how a regular class day is like. Can you choose when to take classes? Is a part time job possible while in school?

Classes are 2 and a half hours a week and so far all of mine have been during the business day. This is usually once a week, but last semester we had two classes that were twice a week for an hour and fifteen minutes instead. Last semester I had 5 classes and this worked out to class being Mondays- Thursdays (2 classes per day except for one on Wednesdays). This semester we have 4 classes and are in class 3 days per week (If you're really interested in specific class times or something, let me know). Half of our group has started clinic in addition to classes this semester while the other half will start clinic in May. Clinic schedule varies from person to person. This has been my schedule with an undergrad degree in speech, so I'm not exactly sure how it differs if you have an extra semester with pre-requisites. There is a lot of work done outside of class such as studying, clinic observations, group meetings, etc. 

Classes are already set up for you when you meet with them in June, telling you exactly which classes you will be taking each semester and which semesters you will have clinic. You take the same classes as the rest of your cohort. So there is not much flexibility, but I have found that having a cohort is a very big plus. They have also split us up once or twice, offering two sections of one class at two different times but this is rare. For the most part you have all your classes with the same people and there is one section of a class offered. 

They recommend you do not have a job during school, but I'm sure you've heard that already. People do have part time jobs, but flexible ones (babysitting, subbing, etc.). A lot of people decide they cannot work anymore once classes + clinic start. During this coming summer I think many people will work because we will have clinic but no classes. I hope this helps! 

That's great to know! Thank you!

My questions are the same as whoknows14: What is a typical day like? Is it possible to work part time?

Also, does the extra semester affect hiring potential? I want to work for the school system so I would assume that graduating in December would be bad for that but I definitely could be wrong.

Thank you so much!

That's a great point about graduating in December, but to be honest I really don't know =/ Sorry!

Classes are 2 and a half hours a week and so far all of mine have been during the business day. This is usually once a week, but last semester we had two classes that were twice a week for an hour and fifteen minutes instead. Last semester I had 5 classes and this worked out to class being Mondays- Thursdays (2 classes per day except for one on Wednesdays). This semester we have 4 classes and are in class 3 days per week (If you're really interested in specific class times or something, let me know). Half of our group has started clinic in addition to classes this semester while the other half will start clinic in May. Clinic schedule varies from person to person. This has been my schedule with an undergrad degree in speech, so I'm not exactly sure how it differs if you have an extra semester with pre-requisites. There is a lot of work done outside of class such as studying, clinic observations, group meetings, etc. 

Classes are already set up for you when you meet with them in June, telling you exactly which classes you will be taking each semester and which semesters you will have clinic. You take the same classes as the rest of your cohort. So there is not much flexibility, but I have found that having a cohort is a very big plus. They have also split us up once or twice, offering two sections of one class at two different times but this is rare. For the most part you have all your classes with the same people and there is one section of a class offered. 

They recommend you do not have a job during school, but I'm sure you've heard that already. People do have part time jobs, but flexible ones (babysitting, subbing, etc.). A lot of people decide they cannot work anymore once classes + clinic start. During this coming summer I think many people will work because we will have clinic but no classes. I hope this helps! 

That's a great point about graduating in December, but to be honest I really don't know =/ Sorry!

Wow!! Thank you so much for all of this information!! All of this was extremely helpful and will definitely help me to make my decision. Thank you very much for answering all of my questions!  :)

Edited by flnjslp

The advisor here at our university cautioned us that we'd have to repeat seven - yes, seven - classes - in the Montclair State program.  So that's 7 classes worth of undergrad studies paid for once ... which need to be paid for again (and no, I don't attend a less competitive school, quite the opposite actually, lest anyone be speculating that's the reason).  For what it's worth.  So Montclair for me (if I get in, still no email received here yet) would be more like 3 1/2 years ... heck, maybe they'll accept me based on that - cause I'd have to pay for more credits and help the bottom line!!! LOL

The advisor here at our university cautioned us that we'd have to repeat seven - yes, seven - classes - in the Montclair State program. So that's 7 classes worth of undergrad studies paid for once ... which need to be paid for again (and no, I don't attend a less competitive school, quite the opposite actually, lest anyone be speculating that's the reason). For what it's worth. So Montclair for me (if I get in, still no email received here yet) would be more like 3 1/2 years ... heck, maybe they'll accept me based on that - cause I'd have to pay for more credits and help the bottom line!!! LOL

Why would you have to repeat seven classes? Please give me some more background because I'm trying to make my decision.

Wow! Thank you for all the info. Honestly! Gives us a better feel for info we can't really find online. If you could be slightly more specific about timings as well that would be helpful!

The advisor here at our university cautioned us that we'd have to repeat seven - yes, seven - classes - in the Montclair State program.  So that's 7 classes worth of undergrad studies paid for once ... which need to be paid for again (and no, I don't attend a less competitive school, quite the opposite actually, lest anyone be speculating that's the reason).  For what it's worth.  So Montclair for me (if I get in, still no email received here yet) would be more like 3 1/2 years ... heck, maybe they'll accept me based on that - cause I'd have to pay for more credits and help the bottom line!!! LOL

I'm not sure about your particular situation and maybe you already know this info, but if you are coming in with a background I don't think you would have to take more than 2.5 years.  Maybe it is the case that you would have to repeat some classes as your advisor said, but I'm not sure why you would have to add a whole extra year since the sample track for applicants with a background isn't that long.  You've probably seen this, but just in case..:

http://www.montclair.edu/media/montclairedu/chss/departments/communicationsciencesanddisorders/Advising-Work-Prog-With-Bckgrd-For-Web.pdf

As far as scheduling goes, last semester I had 3 classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I had Articulation/Phonological Disorders on Monday from 11:15-12:30. On Wednesdays, I had Research from 8:30-11 and Articulation/Phonological Disorders from 11:15-12:30. On Thursdays, I had Educational Audiology from 11:30-2.

This semester I have 3 classes 4 days a week - Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday which is a bit of a pain because I commute about an hour to school. Monday, I have Language Assessment from 9-10:15. Tuesdays. I have Clinical Processes from 1-3:30. Wednesday, I have Language Assessment from 9-10:15 and Speech Science from 1-2:15. Then I have Speech Science again on Fridays from 1-2:15.

I will start my first clinic in the summer and have no other classes. Typically, we are assigned 1 or 2 pediatric clients during your first semester clinic, and then in your 2nd and 3rd clinic you have more clients as well as more diverse clients (geriatric, adult, fluency, etc).

Classes are either 2x a week for an hour and fifteen minutes or 1x a week for two and a half hours. I am a slightly odd case because I took my prereqs online at Utah State in the spring and summer semesters hoping to be considered with a background. Unfortunately, too many people came in with a background and because of clinic scheduling, I am on the 3 year track instead. So this year my course load is fairly light because I am only taking 3 classes a semester compared to others who are taking 4 or 5. I think Montclair has changed their policy so that applicants have to have had their prereqs completed by the fall semester to be considered with a background.

I really love everyone in this program and have made some amazing friends along the way. Hope this helps!

Edited by BlarneyStone87

@BlarneyStone87 @plmgis @thirdchild012 .... Thank you so much.  Really appreciate the info and guidance.

All - Can anyone say for sure what is happening this year with Montclair and either emails or Postal Mails or both?  Still seems unclear from the results page and it should be a simple question.

Does everyone get an email and then a postal mailing regardless of whether they are accepted, wait listed, or rejected?

@BlarneyStone87 @plmgis @thirdchild012 .... Thank you so much.  Really appreciate the info and guidance.

All - Can anyone say for sure what is happening this year with Montclair and either emails or Postal Mails or both?  Still seems unclear from the results page and it should be a simple question.

Does everyone get an email and then a postal mailing regardless of whether they are accepted, wait listed, or rejected?

I was accepted first through an email and then received a letter.

I have decided to attend a different school for various reasons. Once they receive my admissions deposit I will be declining at Montclair. Hopefully that will help someone here on the waitlist! :)

I was accepted first through an email and then received a letter.

I have decided to attend a different school for various reasons. Once they receive my admissions deposit I will be declining at Montclair. Hopefully that will help someone here on the waitlist! :)

@finjslp - Congratulations and best of luck to you in all your future studies !!  (I think your earlier post said you're attending East Stroudsburg).  I hope you keep up with this board as you move ahead in your Graduate program.

Getting a postal mail letter if one is accepted via email first makes perfect sense.  

Getting an email with bad news (rejection) would make the postal mailing pointless, for the most part, I can see that now.  Just not thinking too clearly at this point due to all the stress!!!

I guess being wait listed would have some value in a postal mailing after an email notification.  But either way, as long as the email is timely and accurate, the postal mailing is 100% anti climactic.

I wish I had gotten into Montclair! I applied last year and my status said under review for a longggg a** time and then I was rejected. This time my status changed to 'decision made' last Sunday and then I was waitlisted. Not sure if this helps and obviously this doesn't mean every case is the same, but figured I'd share.

@finjslp - Congratulations and best of luck to you in all your future studies !!  (I think your earlier post said you're attending East Stroudsburg).  I hope you keep up with this board as you move ahead in your Graduate program.

Getting a postal mail letter if one is accepted via email first makes perfect sense.  

Getting an email with bad news (rejection) would make the postal mailing pointless, for the most part, I can see that now.  Just not thinking too clearly at this point due to all the stress!!!

I guess being wait listed would have some value in a postal mailing after an email notification.  But either way, as long as the email is timely and accurate, the postal mailing is 100% anti climactic.

Thank you!! Yes, I will be attending East Stroudsburg. I'm very excited! I plan to stay on this board and hopefully help out next year's round of applicants.

Don't worry about not thinking clearly - I think this graduate school application process turned my brain to mush many, many times!

I wish I had gotten into Montclair! I applied last year and my status said under review for a longggg a** time and then I was rejected. This time my status changed to 'decision made' last Sunday and then I was waitlisted. Not sure if this helps and obviously this doesn't mean every case is the same, but figured I'd share.

A waitlist is better than a rejection at least but I hope you get taken off (and therefore accepted!)!

I haven't heard anything yet, so I called and they said that my application is still under review. Have no idea what that means, but its not a rejection :)

My application is still under review. I'm getting quiet nervous now.

I haven't heard anything yet, so I called and they said that my application is still under review. Have no idea what that means, but its not a rejection :)

My application says that it is still under review too :/ . I am going to call them today and ask them if they will at least send everyone some kind of response before April 15 ... They are my top choice ...

Good news everyone!

I just called them up and asked them when they will be notifying everyone by because deadlines for other schools are approaching and people (I said me) were waiting on them to make a decision. [i asked more tactfully but I am typing this quickly because I want everyone waiting for them to know this LOL]. The kind lady on the other end said that they will most likely be sending out ALL decisions by the end of the week. I repeat ALL!

She told me if we have not heard back by Tuesday, to feel free to contact the office and see what is going on.