Typical Graduate Class Size

ahlatsiawa

I was just wondering about the population of a typical Master's-level class size. I know it depends on a lot of variables but would appreciate a ball-park figure. I personally believe any number above 25 would be too large.

It really depends. Are the classes master's only, master's/undergrad, or master's/PhD? As a master's student (in a department where most continued on to the PhD), my classes ranger from 5 to 18 people. The biggest ones were the required ones for everyone in the entering cohort (both master's and PhD). The smallest one was a graduate seminar where I was the only master's student and everyone else was a PhD student (taught by my advisor so I took it anyway).

There's an ambiguity what was asked, so different people are answering different questions.  Do you mean to ask how many students are admitted to the program, or how many are in enrolled in any one course?

This is an easy question to ask of the grad coordinator/administrator - just send him/her a quick email and ask about cohort and typical class sizes. Class sizes will likely vary greatly depending on department size and course popularity, so the best way to find out about your chosen program is to ask someone there directly.

There's an ambiguity what was asked, so different people are answering different questions.  Do you mean to ask how many students are admitted to the program, or how many are in enrolled in any one course?

I was asking about the course. Where I am going the typical no. of students admitted to the program each year is about 50-60. So I was wondering that would be just like my undergrad with a low faculty-to-student ratio. But I am going to do what Kaitri suggested and email my POI about it. Thanks to everyone who replied. :)