McGill MEd Educational Psychology

COGSCI

are you going into project based or course based? If you are going into a project based program, then you should definitely consider which profs are available and if you are doing course based program, you might want the flexibility so you can take the courses that you need for your next step (phd studies or professional development)

Project based for General Education, Inclusive Science. Learning Science course based. I want a research project more on the applicable side, and not so much 'pure' research. And I didn't even know we had to follow profs for non-thesis projects as well! Thanks for the heads up! There's just so much information...

If I want to become an school based therapist/counsellor or potential PhD in Clinical psychology, are all 3 still viable options for background information (I know you don't qualify for licenses as a therapist in these degrees). Like, in the end, I want my base to be in professional work with research as a 'side', I guess if you can call it a 'side'. 

If you want to gain clinical or more applicable side of experience out of this degree, I would not suggest Learning Science because that deals with artificial learning and environment (more pure research based). If you have time, maybe it would be a good idea to have a meeting with the program coordinator or stream rep professors. I am going into general ed psyc since that gives me more flexibility

Project based for General Education, Inclusive Science. Learning Science course based. I want a research project more on the applicable side, and not so much 'pure' research. And I didn't even know we had to follow profs for non-thesis projects as well! Thanks for the heads up! There's just so much information...

If I want to become an school based therapist/counsellor or potential PhD in Clinical psychology, are all 3 still viable options for background information (I know you don't qualify for licenses as a therapist in these degrees). Like, in the end, I want my base to be in professional work with research as a 'side', I guess if you can call it a 'side'. 

I'm in a similar situation as you, in that I hope to complete the coursework necessary to become certified as a counsellor within the province. I'll most likely speak to one of the coordinators, but you can find an entire website dedicated to registration requirements for Quebec online, including what classes are needed, etc.

Hi, do you have any information if the General Edu Psych program has any courses on counseling? I am weighing between two options. Another school is offering classes on counseling. I have looked at the McGill website and classes such as Helping relationships and practicum: interviewing skills touch on counseling techniques, but they are not called "counseling".

I have emailed the school administration but as usual, they are always slow in replying. That's why I am trying here. I have been accepted into General Edu Psych program by the way. 

Alright, thank you. Can I ask how and where you found this information? My issue is that I applied to this program as a second choice/Plan B. Unfortunately, I didn't get accepted into my top-choice programs. I know it's silly, but I don't really know much about this program and what it can really offer upon graduation (as in employment potential), and, I have to admit, it's making me a little worried... I'm open to all responses and suggestions! Thanks!

Why not contact the school and ask? I'm sure there are stats on employment after graduation. I would also be quite surprised if you couldn't become licensed in Quebec if this is where the school is located. A visit to the website or a quick phone call to the college that you would like to join (ie: college of psychotherapists, etc) should be able to provide you with this information. Congrats!  

• 2 weeks later...