Conditional acceptance

EEpa

I received an email from the U of Saskatchewan yesterday saying I've been accepted and it gave me info on how to accept or decline and then said they were sending an official letter that will have info on any conditions that must be met to actually start. So I logged into my student account and it said conditional acceptance with the option of yes I'm attending or no I'm not. So now I have to worry what the condition is and I won't know until I receive their snail mail, said it could take up to 3 weeks. It seems weird they would give me the option to accept if there were criteria I needed to meet still, so I'm worried the condition is that they can't fund me, which is equivalent to a rejection for me.

Had anyone seen this before? What was the condition in your case?

I received a Conditional Acceptance from Carleton and a "Provisional" acceptance from Uwindsor. For both, the condition was just that I complete my undergrad and send them my transcripts proving I had graduated (once I do). I'm guessing this will be your condition as well. 

I already graduated and my application status says they've received my transcript. But hopefully it is something simple like that. I want so badly to be excited but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I was conditionally accepted to Pittsburg State University. The acceptance letter they sent said the conditions were that I need to complete 12 hours of grad work with grades above a C and also that they are still waiting for my criminal background check to be completed.

Hope this helps.

Minimum final year average of B+ in my discipline of study, but when I called the department for details, they told me it's actually the last two years of core courses. Not really sure how they calculated it, but the grad secretary said she looked over my application and said I'm fine. 

I think the condition is rarely 'no funding', the condition will likely be something you must meet. (Though if they haven't mentioned funding, that would be something worth asking about!)

Generally conditional acceptances just mean they need a final transcript. Was the transcript you sent with your application official? I've heard of other conditions like those stated above (get a certain GPA by end of the first year or semester to stay), but usually these are things that would be required of you in graduate school anyway. I wouldn't worry too much!

What lead me to think the condition may be lack of funding is that my POI has let me know my acceptance is based on whether or not I get the scholarship she nominated me for. Otherwise she simply cannot afford to fund me. I had literally e-mailed her earlier in the day asking about a timeline to hear results, to which she replied sometime this month, and that same evening I got the conditional acceptance email. It seems weird to me but I really don't know what to think. Guess I'm stuck waiting for the physical copy to come in the mail.

• 2 weeks later...

The official letter finally came. I am accepted provided I receive the scholarship I've been nominated for. It really sucks that I have a letter of acceptance and I still may not actually be accepted. It'll be such a low blow if I don't end up getting it after this.

The official letter finally came. I am accepted provided I receive the scholarship I've been nominated for. It really sucks that I have a letter of acceptance and I still may not actually be accepted. It'll be such a low blow if I don't end up getting it after this.

That is really strange.  Mine was similar to everyone else's, I just had to show proof through an official transcript that I was a) not fudging my marks and B) I was continuing my "good grade standing" after having been admitted.  I have heard of your scenario though, but it's usually not Scholarship = accepted no scholarship = rejection.  The one's I've heard are scholarship = money and accepted, no scholarship = still funded but you're on your own for everything.  

Also, the weird thing to me is how strapped these profs are for cash.  Personally, if it were me, I would not take a grad student I could not fund, as in they would not even get accepted under me if the grant was going to make or break their chances of getting in.  It is just down right unfair to the student.