Courseload for Online Prerequesites

Hi all,

I am beginning my journey toward becoming an SLP, and I have a few questions for all of you. :)  I just got accepted into USU's CDS 2nd bachelor's program, which consists of 12 courses.  I will be teaching full time (special education) in the fall, so I'm not sure if I should try to finish this program in a year or not.  For anyone who has taken online post-bac courses (at USU or otherwise), how many courses did you take each term? And what were your other commitments during that time? I am really begin (if i am accepted!) SLP graduate school, but I also want to make sure that I am able to maintain as close to a 4.0 as I am able.

Thanks for all your help :)

I attended an online SLP prerequisite program. It was a three semester, 35 credit program (Fall, Spring, Summer). I took four classes (two with "lab") in the Fall, five classes in the Spring, and two classes in the Summer. Personally, I found the classes to be ridiculously easy. The information was straightforward, interesting and fun. I thrive when it comes to online learning so that also made my experience enjoyable.

I worked part time and volunteered part time while I attended the program, so my days were quite full. I also have an SO and a six year old daughter so I was busy taking her to school/extracurricular activities as well. I spent most of my time studying in the evenings and on the weekends. The online lectures were the most time consuming. Sometimes I had 30 min lectures and other times I had two+ hour lectures. However, as previously stated, I found the material to be quite easy. Good luck!

I did USU right now. I took 3 classes last summer, 4 in spring, and 4 this this spring. I took a year off from teaching and just subbed and did volunteer work, BUT I will say, I think it is very doable bc the work is always there for when you get the time. If you stay organized and don't put things off you should be fine! Good luck!

I did the program in a year while teaching; the first semester I was teaching full time and then I changed my schedule to part time for the other semesters. Teaching full time and taking four classes at USU was barely do-able, I did get straight A's but it was tough! I also had a big boost because I was taking two classes from a professor that was laid off shortly after that semester for being too easy. So I would either reduce your teaching hours or your course load. 

The thing that was challenging to me about the USU 2nd Bachelors was the sheer amount of information you're expected to memorize. My undergrad degree was focused on critical thinking, scholarly research, etc. USU is much more about memorizing details, and I found that you can't just skate by on reading and writing skills. 

Good luck and please post any more questions you have, I'd love to help!

I was a teacher also and my school was very intense (I worked about 50-60 hours per week).  There was NO WAY I would have been able to take four classes at a time while teaching, because (to me) teaching is so exhausting.  When I was working full time, I only took two classes a semester.  That said, you know yourself and your job best.  If you're not very stressed in your job and you have a lot of extra free time, you might be able to handle the four classes.  If you feel like you're busy/stressed all the time now, I would advise against four classes and aim for a smaller number.  You can always take more in the summer when you're off.  Hope that helps! :)

I am taking two CSD courses online this semester with no other commitments, and I am personally glad that I have so much time to put into these classes. I have never taken any CSD courses before, and if I was handling this brand new material along with other things, I might be overwhelmed! That said, the courses have not been difficult. I think it just depends on how much you are willing and able to handle and how quickly you need the courses done by. 

Thank you everyone for your answers!  I definitely want to keep my job while I am taking my post-bacc courses, both for the money and for the experience in special education.  I am also hoping that the SLP that I am working with will write me a letter of recommendation. After reading everyone's responses, I think I will enroll in two courses in the fall and see how that goes, and then adjust accordingly for the next semester.  I am not in a total hurry to finish, although I'd like to finish in two.

Also for anyone who did their post-bacc at USU, what are the proctored exams like?  Are they pretty frequent throughout the semester? And is the level difficult or is it undergrad level? Thank again! :)

The proctored exams are usually multiple choice format.  From what I remember, 3100 has 5 exams, 3400 has 4 exams, 3120 has 3 exams, and 2500 has 3 exams.  I'm not sure about other classes because I haven't taken them yet.  The exams have been pretty easy in my opinion, with the exception of 3400.  It's definitely undergrad-level coursework.  Hope that helps! :)

Oh, that's another good thing to keep in mind if you decide to work full-time: near me at least, there were no exam sites that would proctor outside of normal business hours. So it would have been literally impossible to work full-time and take classes b/c I would have had to take time off for each exam. 

I'm sorry to hear that, marina_ballerina.  I always had my tests proctored at the library on Saturday mornings.  Another option to consider is proctoru.com.  I believe all of USU's professors allow students to use it.  However, they do charge a fee for each test.

3500 and 5100 are both pretty easy since the tests are open book and aren't proctored.  I know that some might disagree with me, but I actually found 3100 (anatomy) easy because the tests are so straightforward.  5900 (grad prep & observation) is easy but time consuming.

• 3 months later...

I'm taking five classes this upcoming semester and all of the professors are telling me how challenging it is going to be. I will not be working and can just focus on school. Is it just that difficult? I've taken five classes at brick and mortar schools, so not sure why there is the push to not take five classes. Insight, anyone?

I worked full-time (teaching) taking pre-reqs, so what I did was 3 courses during the summer, 1 course in the fall, 1 course in the spring, and the final 3 courses the summer before my master's program began.  It worked out.  I don't know if I could have done 2 courses during the fall or 2 courses during the spring like some others have, but my job was extremely demanding and I didn't even have a planning period.  I'm fairly good at time management and organization, too, so it is all about knowing yourself and what you can handle.