Masters at University of British Columbia (UBC) without funding

duck1990

I recently received an offered at UBC for master program. I love the program and research of my advisor.

But I am not getting any kind of funding like CGS-M or UBC scholarship. I am out of province student.

I am so confuse if it is worth accepting the offer. Because I can't imagine how I will spend two years of master without funding. I still have

to pay back my undergrauate student loan. If I will borrow loan from government then when I will graduate with master I will be in debt of more than 50,000. I have no one to support my studies :(

Is there anyone who can suggest something in this situation. Should I go for my masters ? why and why not ?

I don't know what field you're in, that would likely influence my answer.  Personally, I am doing my Masters this fall in Social Work.  This is a field which usually doesn't receive funding so I went into without even thinking of some outside source paying for it.  With my undergrad and Masters I will be over $50,000 in debt by the time I am done but I can live off my husband's income (which we've been doing for years now) and use my entire income to pay off the debt within a couple of years so I'm not too concerned.  If you are going into a field where you will be making big money then it could be worth it.  If not, it might be too much debt.  Does the field you are in usually get funding in Canada?

Is deferring an option? If so, maybe you could work to pay off some of your loans this upcoming year and apply to more schools next year and scholarships and see if you get a more lucrative offer next year. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Is deferring an option? If so, maybe you could work to pay off some of your loans this upcoming year and apply to more schools next year and scholarships and see if you get a more lucrative offer next year. Best of luck to you!

No deffereing is not an option.

I don't know what field you're in, that would likely influence my answer.  Personally, I am doing my Masters this fall in Social Work.  This is a field which usually doesn't receive funding so I went into without even thinking of some outside source paying for it.  With my undergrad and Masters I will be over $50,000 in debt by the time I am done but I can live off my husband's income (which we've been doing for years now) and use my entire income to pay off the debt within a couple of years so I'm not too concerned.  If you are going into a field where you will be making big money then it could be worth it.  If not, it might be too much debt.  Does the field you are in usually get funding in Canada?

My program is related to Mathematics but not exactly same thing.The program don't usaully get funding. But I know the professor had lot of funded project going on. I estimated that I will need $ 25000 per year to survive which means 50,000 for two years. I know when I will graduate my starting salary will be  around $ 75,000. But again I am confuse how I will manage my two years because its my first time living by myself.

Where can I get loan/bursaries for my masters program ? bank or is there any govenment agencies ?

No deffereing is not an option.

My program is related to Mathematics but not exactly same thing.The program don't usaully get funding. But I know the professor had lot of funded project going on. I estimated that I will need $ 25000 per year to survive which means 50,000 for two years. I know when I will graduate my starting salary will be  around $ 75,000. But again I am confuse how I will manage my two years because its my first time living by myself.

Where can I get loan/bursaries for my masters program ? bank or is there any govenment agencies ?

I got rejected from there, same program. Living in Vancouver is not cheap, I'll tell you that much. Apple for a TAship. But honestly, if they aren't funding you, they really don't care about you.