How to most politely decline an offer

I hope this doesn't come off as self aggrandizing, but I am having almost as much trouble phrasing an email declining an offer as I did in writing an SOP.  The department chairs I have spoken to have been very welcoming and super nice and helpful (at the couple of places I got in, the others were terse).  Should I say a reason I am declining their offer or which school I am attending, or is it better to just say say that I am declining and leave the specifics out?  Earnest question, I promise.  

Just my two cents -- I think it depends on the reason.  Some of the schools I declined because I got better funding elsewhere.  To me, less funding seemed like a totally sensible reason and so I politely responded with those specifics.  On the other hand, I would of course not say something like, "I got into the program XXXX which is much more highly regarded in the mathematics community so I will not be enrolling at your school."

Do what feels comfortable and natural to you in the context of the communication you have had with the schools and faculty etc.  I wrote a very general reason for my decision saying that my research interests best aligned with another program at this time.  Most programs either ask you in your declination form or may follow up with you and ask you why you chose another school.  To them it is important to know who is their competition and why they aren't getting the applicants they are pursuing.  think of it as similar to you wanting to know why you didn't make the cut.  You can make it general but also provide a reason, everyone always wants to know "why" in a situation like this.  The schools are no different.  Best of luck.  Be gracious and polite and tell the truth, that is most important.

I declined one offer so far, and I did not list a reason. I said that I was very impressed by their program and that they were one of my top choices. I thanked them for their interest in me as a candidate but that I would be accepting another offer.

If they ask for a reason, you can tell them, though I would definitely avoid mentioning something like reputation (fwiw, reputation did not factor that greatly for me anyway, since the places I got in are similarly ranked. For me, it is more about fit, financial offer, and possibility of finishing in 4 years -- I already have a Master's and some of those credits can transfer provided I pass the qualifying exam).

Edited by Applied Math to Stat

To the graduate admissions people:

"Dear X,

Thank you very much for your offer of acceptance to Y University. I enjoyed visiting the program and learning about the research going on there. Unfortunately, I am declining the offer, as I have accepted an offer at another program.

Thank you again,

Z name"

To the specific professors who you had good conversations with:

"Dear X,

Thank you very much for your offer of acceptance to Y University. I enjoyed visiting the program and learning about the research going on there. I especially enjoyed hearing about your research in Q area and our discussion about R.  Unfortunately, I am declining the offer, as I have accepted an offer at another program for such-and-such reason. I hope that we can keep in touch and I look forward to hearing about your future research.

Thank you again,

Z name"

It obviously doesn't have to be that exact template. But you shouldn't feel badly about a more impersonal email to the administration. If you connected well with a particular professor, you can send a more personal email with specifics as to why you chose the other program.

Do the programs you're communicating with a favor and tell them where you've decided to go. Why withhold that information? 

Edited by cyberwulf