USC vs CSULB

lucyyy19

Anyone else in the same situation?

I was accepted to USC 2 year program. But I was placed on pending status for CSULB. I have 5 days to let USC know my decision but CSULB will not let me know their decision until July. What to do what to doooo. USC would be great but the 95,000 is scary!

Could you put the deposit down on USC and withdraw if CSULB accepts you or you change your mind?

I agree, USC is super expensive. I've spoken to graduates who say that if they had to do it over, they'd have gone with a state school (because of the debt) even though they enjoy the benefits of being part of the USC network. 

Yea that was one of my options. Deposit is $280 so it is a lot of money to just let go incase CSULB accepts me but it is way less than $95,000. I got a scholarship for 5,500 which seems like most people are getting. And although it is 5,500, compared to a 95,000 its almost nothing. 

I was really considering postponing my application for USC for next year (2015), this is also an option. I feel that if I do that I will be able to apply to waaaay more scholarships early on the year. And I will also have the opportunity to wait on LB (which I called today and I agree with prior posts, they are so rude and not helpful, AT ALL.) My heart is set for LB :/ but it sucks that they are being inconsiderate with all of us trying to make decisions. 

Could you put the deposit down on USC and withdraw if CSULB accepts you or you change your mind?

I agree, USC is super expensive. I've spoken to graduates who say that if they had to do it over, they'd have gone with a state school (because of the debt) even though they enjoy the benefits of being part of the USC network. 

Which school is your first choice?

Yea that was one of my options. Deposit is $280 so it is a lot of money to just let go incase CSULB accepts me but it is way less than $95,000. I got a scholarship for 5,500 which seems like most people are getting. And although it is 5,500, compared to a 95,000 its almost nothing. 

I was really considering postponing my application for USC for next year (2015), this is also an option. I feel that if I do that I will be able to apply to waaaay more scholarships early on the year. And I will also have the opportunity to wait on LB (which I called today and I agree with prior posts, they are so rude and not helpful, AT ALL.) My heart is set for LB :/ but it sucks that they are being inconsiderate with all of us trying to make decisions. 

Did you only apply to these two schools? I applied to CSULB, USC, and CSUF. LB is my first choice, too, and they are also making me wait until July. I had to respond to both USC and CSUF before LB even gave me an answer and accepted both. For USC, they kept making me make a deposit (and I was definitely not ready to accept) so I deferred by application until next year. I really don't want to go there because of the money... but I did want to keep my options open and need the time to decide the financial stuff. Hope that helps! 

I also applied to UCLA but was rejected  :( I have heard lots of great things about the program at CSUF, wish I would have applied there as well.

We are exactly in the same position. The cost to attend USC is crazy! I applied because its a great school and I was hoping the financial aid package would be a little nicer. But its not :/

Do you have people telling you that you are crazy for turning down USC? I DO! but at the end of the day it is what will benefit me and after all, they are not the ones getting into crazy debt lol. 

I had a heart to heart with a friend over the USC fees. We really talked it over and his point was do I really want to come out owing so much more than I might make ever or at least for a lot of years.

Is the school name worth the total cost?  He didn't seem to think so and it appears that others seem to feel the same way when you look back at previous posts. Sure to some it is a big deal to say "I went here", but is it worth it to you?

A final defining factor for me in not applying was when I emailed back and forth with one of their people who recruit students and asked about financial aid and mentioned the fact that I have no real income and would benefit with scholarships and grants. I asked questions about some general numbers for people being offered aid. I never heard back from him. A friend who is a military veteran, hears back all the time from this same recruiter. 

If you have the money to pay or are willing to go into debt for the school, go for it. If you can deal with all of the loans you might end up getting, go for it. There are ways to write it off as others suggested, it takes time, patience and diligence to ensure the loans are paid off in time.

Tough decision. I know I'm facing an either or decision while I wait for CSUEB to make any decisions about the MSW. If I'm accepted then I will do this, if I'm not then I will do this option. UGH

I, too, was accepted to USC and after MUCH, MUCH deliberation (i mean a LOT of hair tearing) I decided it just logically didn't make any sense to attend there given the 90+ tuition (not including the interest rate you'll accumulate over the years). I spoke to professors at state schools, current USC students and read a TON of articles related to this topic. After speaking to current students, however, it made my choice easier as all they could really base their choice on was "the name" and the "network". Personally, the cons outweighed the pros. After speaking to my former supervisor while volunteering at women's center she made the following point:

We're all going in to social services, this is a given. We will all receive those three letters after our name. If a company/organization is placing that much value on the school you went to rather than the experience and skills you bring forth, is it really a company you'd want to work for?

THAT was my 'aha' moment and I decided to decline their offer and spruce up my resume and reapply to local state schools who are just as good (states schools are much more competitive it appears). 

However, If USC is really your dream school (it offers your specialization, professor you'd like to research under,etc.)  then there's no other choice but to suck it up and live with the price tag.

I recommend reading the following topics:

<------- This is a professors point of view. Highly recommend that one. 

Edited by saidypoo

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who helped me make my decision! I postponed my USC application for next year 2015 and I am very happy with my decision. I looked over the forums posted on here and they were great help. I recommend anyone who is in the same position to check them out, they are eye openers and make a lot of sense!!! Also to those in the same position, read what other people on here have to say. It feels great to receive advice from those who are in the same position and have similar goals as yourself. 

Thanks again to everyone!

Currently waiting for CSULB email, hoping for the best. 

I am sure many, if not all, can agree that this has been a very stressful process. I feel like I have been put on hold with life...lol no but really. Thanks a lot Long Beach...lol. I keep telling myself that if this does not happen for me this year, I will take next year to improve my application. 

POSITIVE VIBES to EVERYONE!

Thank you to everyone who helped me make my decision! I postponed my USC application for next year 2015 and I am very happy with my decision. I looked over the forums posted on here and they were great help. I recommend anyone who is in the same position to check them out, they are eye openers and make a lot of sense!!! Also to those in the same position, read what other people on here have to say. It feels great to receive advice from those who are in the same position and have similar goals as yourself. 

Thanks again to everyone!

Currently waiting for CSULB email, hoping for the best. 

I am sure many, if not all, can agree that this has been a very stressful process. I feel like I have been put on hold with life...lol no but really. Thanks a lot Long Beach...lol. I keep telling myself that if this does not happen for me this year, I will take next year to improve my application. 

POSITIVE VIBES to EVERYONE!

I was told that CSULB will continue sending decision in May :)

I also was accepted to USC, and although it was my first choice I'm deciding not to attend. I spoke to a couple of alumni and two of them told me that even though they loved the program its not worth the money. One of them told me if she had to do it again she wouldn't do it.

I'm still crossing my fingers for Long Beach and hopping to hear from them soon!