Urban Planning with International Focus

I know this topic has been posted before, but I just can't seem to find it...

So I'm concluding my college career, and still uncertain of what exactly I want to do in grad school. Or rather, I know what I want to do but I'm having difficulty pinpointing exactly what/where, if you understand what I mean. I want to work with developing countries (in the US and abroad) on urban issues, particularly transportation and education.

Basically, I'm looking at doing to urban planning with an international focus. But I'm afraid it's not internationally focused enough. I'm thinking something like International Development with an urban focus, but I haven't had much luck in finding that, and I'm not quite sure what job prospects I might have after graduating. I feel like a MUP w/ an international concentration would give me more options overall.

I know some of the top urban planning schools offer international concentrations, and I would love to attend those programs (and may even be able to get in), but any type of job I get (city gov't, NGO, USAID, Peace Corps) wouldn't be very conducive to a large debt repayment.

Any ideas on some programs that might be a good fit? FWIW, I'm getting a BS in Econ and BA in Global Studies, and I might consider getting a PhD later on down the road (I'd definitely consider a PhD program that's a good fit now, too)

I'm willing to go anywhere, and I can offer my stats later if necessary. I'm taking a year off to teach English in Korea, but I plan on applying for schools this fall for fall 2010.

Thanks for helping me out.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the above-referenced post on Cyburbia so this may be redundant, but for what it's worth:

I helped my SO in researching programs and had her bounce ideas off me at the beginning of this year's app process, and we were looking at similar things: combining international relations/urban planning/design and infrastructure development.

I would really think about and/or do my best to work my way into MIT's International Development Group. I've heard that some of the other concentrations for the MCP program there are technically stronger, but from what I saw, theirs is pretty specifically what you want. They have international studios as well.

Another thing to consider might be doing a joint degree. Columbia's GSAPP offers a joint degree option with their School of International and Public Affairs (which also has a concentration in Urban Studies for both their MPA and MIA degrees). I'd warn ahead of time that this program option is probably *pretty* expensive. Another option in the NYC area might also be NYU--their Wagner school has an urban planning option but they also have coursework and break-time workshops on international issues. I don't know how well they integrate them, though.

Yet another joint option might be at Tufts--their Fletcher school has an internationally-focused curriculum with options for learning about development, while they also have a MA in Urban and Environmental Planning that may suit your more technical needs. My understanding is that Tufts and state schools might be a little more forthcoming with funding, although I've also heard nice things about Penn being generous. Ultimately I think the $$ part of this might boil down to your need-based aid and any scholarship/fellowship essay applications you do.

That's my 2 cents anyway.