Is it always hard to get enough fundings for a project in one's MA/graduate study?

longforit

I'm working on my thesis project which involves human subjects and costs about several hundreds of dollars. I was only able to get funds from our program and it can only cover the compensation for 20-25 participants (and divided into two groups) -- which are much less than I expected and I suspect the power for statistic analysis would be rather low. But my advisor shows no worry about the lack of money and lack of participants and insists that I should carry on the research and data analysis with such a small participant pool (she don't want to fund me from her lab I guess). And my colleagues suggested me that limited funding is pretty normal in doing research.

So my question is: 

Is it always the case that researchers don't have enough funding for their research? Or it's just more likely for graduate students/M.A. students? I know many people apply for external fundings or things like that, but it's hard for an M.A. student to secure such fundings since application for external fundings always takes a long time which a M.A student doesn't have (less than 1 year to do a project), and their proposals are usually less competitive than those who have been doing research for several years (PhD & faculty). 

But if they can't get enough funding, the study carried out might be less reliable and hard to support a hypothesis. If it's true that MA/graduate students always got underfunded, how can they strike a balance between limited funding and a good-quality paper? Or they're not expected to produce a high-quality at the first place? I guess I just got frustrated by the situation. I really want to FIND something, but with very limited participants, the chances aren't big. And I really hope I could get rid of this "poverty" in my later stage of doing research. 

Can anyone share his/her experience/opinions on this issue?

I think it probably depends a lot on where you are. I'm at an MA program in the CSU system - so everyone is pretty much completely broke. I don't think MA students here ever get any funding for their research at all. Even small travel grants are extremely rare. 

However, in some departments there's a pretty smart system in place to get participants for experiments. Some classes require students to participate for mandatory course credit, for example. So even though I have no money for my research, I get participants from those classes because they're required to participate in something, and my study is one of their options. 

I know extra credit/mandatory credit works well :) ! Also things like Mechanical turk is much cheaper than having participants actually come to your lab..

My current study can't be done in either ways though. I need people with particular cognitive styles and I even need a screening test to rule out 75% of the people who took this screening.. I shall be very careful in designing the participant selection part in my future study!

Edited by longforit

Oh that does sound complicated! Participants... one of the many tricky aspects of experimental methods...

I'd say the only "downside" of the credit thing is that you have to run everyone - even the people who will not be a part of your sample. :/  But hey, in the end you get some data. :)

It's an experimental-psychology-like study and takes an hour.. I guess even if there are volunteers there won't be enough (and I need people with specific characteristics, which makes it even harder..)

Plus my IRB application specifies the compensation, which means volunteers are not allowed..

Edited by longforit

Plus my IRB application specifies the compensation, which means volunteers are not allowed..

Doesn't your consent form have a "I waive my compensation" box? Mine does. It's never happened in the history of ever, but it's there just in case someone wants to participate without getting paid. 

Is there such an option?! I wish I could know it earlier! I think I have several participants came just for fun and may do without the money if I ask (they didn't even remember there was compensation) and some of my friends/students might join voluntarily too.

But I didn't add this box on my consent form so I can't have people participate without compensation (my advisor called having volunteers as "shortcut". Not sure it means I cannot have volunteers in this specific study or can't do it at all). But I will definitely try it next time :)

Edited by longforit

First of all, your master's thesis project doesn't have to be huge.  For an experimental study, an N of 40 might be large enough to yield results good enough for a master's thesis project.  And yes, it's very often true that MA thesis work is less reliable.  I published my MA thesis work as a brief report, not a full journal article.

But there are other ways to get funding.  You could write a grant, but usually grants take about 1.5-2 years to come through, so that's impractical.  Many professional organizations offer students funding in small amounts (usually less than $5,000) to conduct research; you have to submit a proposal and compete, but sometimes there aren't very many competitors.  The American Psychological Association offers many, but other orgs do too.

Whether or not your IRB will allow a "I waive my compensation" box will depend a lot on the project and your IRB.  I don't think my IRB would ever allow it - my samples are usually community samples, and they're mostly impoverished, and the IRB would likely argue that the box simply being there might be coercive or suggestive.  And personally I would probably agree with them in my case.

This might be too late for the OP, but for other people it's often a good idea, if possible, to propose a master's project that aligns with the purpose of your advisor's grant so that he/she will pay for it.